Ocean Colour Scene - Anyone here going?

JAStewart

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I digged out a couple of their old albums at the weekend. Really good stuff - I'd forgotten how good they are.

Davie must have pulled out all the stops to get them at a decent price because I noticed that the tickets for the rest of the tour are £20 a go...

They have a new album out today of the acoustic stuff live. Quite a few of their big hits are missing.....I hope they stick to their famous stuff when in Shetland. They will get crowds of 'fans' at their other gigs but in Shetland it will mostly be neutrals.

I'm not going (despite always moaning about a lack of things to do here)

Fair play to Davie for getting them up. However, they are a has-been (maybe even a never was) band. I mind listening to them in about 96? Am I right on that one?

It really would be great if we could attract a really big band. I remember the rumours of Franz (yeh right!). I just think OCS are a band that is trying to milk what is left of their career and due to lack of bands coming here - we think it's good.

Remember the days of Pulp. That was amazing at the time. I think they should stick to their hits otherwise I feel they may have a disgruntled crowd.

Remember when Mechanical Wonder was describe as a "local favourite here on SIBC"?

Good lord that song was milked to its death.

My opinion on them? If they were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd close the curtains.

Fair play to Davie for getting them up. However, they are a has-been (maybe even a never was) band. I mind listening to them in about 96? Am I right on that one?

So a band should give mup after a few years? That a terrible attitude. Maybe they just want to revitalise their carrear to continue doing what they love; playing music.

Not really my kind of music really, so I doubt I'd have seen them anyway, but I'm with Mario on this one, they're at least 6+ years late in getting here. Quite literally, they missed the (nort) boat.

The whole genre in to which they fitted (Lightning Seeds, Space, Cast, Pulp, Catatonia etc etc) died the death with the new Millennium. They were a thing of the "90's", and those who hadn't already self destructed, ie Catatonia, quickly faded in to relative obscurity in the wake of Y2K.

It's good that we can even get a former "big name" act to come here, and good for those who have worked to make it happen, but it can only be a big deal to die hard OCS fans, a few on a 90's nostaliga trip, and those who through reason of age or whatever haven't been aware of their stuff all that much. Assuming that is, they do include most/all of their releases that charted.

So a band should give mup after a few years? That a terrible attitude. Maybe they just want to revitalise their carrear to continue doing what they love; playing music.

No, I'm not saying they should give up at all! There is no doubt they have faded from grace but I'm not saying because they're not "big" anymore, they should stop playing.

However, I think the tag of it being an amazing achievement to get them up here is a bit rich. No offense to Davie, he's done well because the venue/location is hardly ideal for any band. I just don't think it's anything to be shouting about - personally, I would rather have a real get together of all the up & coming local bands.

They will get crowds of 'fans' at their other gigs but in Shetland it will mostly be neutrals.

Pretty much as Marvin said, down south if you dont like a band you wouldn't waste money to go to see them and go do something else, but in Shetland you'd go because there's not much else happening music wise.

I mean if someone has gone to the effort to take up a well established band and your always complaining about no bands coming up - and you dont go - theres slightly less chance of getting anyone 'better'. Do ya know what i mean?

I guess if you really dont like them though - you wouldnt bother wasting money.

I'll probably go if i can still get a ticket when i get back.

I mean if someone has gone to the effort to take up a well established band and your always complaining about no bands coming up - and you dont go - theres slightly less chance of getting anyone 'better'. Do ya know what i mean?

here, here!

The days of superstar bands coming to Shetland have long gone. The only reason Pulp came here was because Candida has Shetland connections.

OCS are still big. See the other venues they are playing on the tour.

So whats the score here? Shetland people only going to see bands if they are in the top 10? What’s the charts anyway?!?!? Quality music exists outside the charts.... Fair enough they've not been on TOTP for a while but as far as I'm concerned that's a pretty good indicator of quality as far as I'm concerned.... :wink:

Remember - Jeff has stopped promoting; Alan has had to review his programming of live bands so I suggest you stop moaning about bands that Davie brings up if you want to see ANY live rock/pop/indie in Shetland.

The North Star is the smallest venue they are playing, its the cheapest ticket on the tour and it has the most overheads.....and still Shetland people are not happy...............

.....the band are top grade and they are really going out of their way to bring their show to Shetland.

However, I think the tag of it being an amazing achievement to get them up here is a bit rich. No offense to Davie, he's done well because the venue/location is hardly ideal for any band. I just don't think it's anything to be shouting about - personally, I would rather have a real get together of all the up & coming local bands.

Rubbish! Nobody turns out for local bands (a bloody awful state of affairs but true nonetheless). If Alan put on 3 or 4 local bands he would be lucky to get 100 or so people.

Id be there if I was in Shetland. Great band with a great guitarist - whos name I can remember?

His name is Steve Craddock and he is in Paul Weller's band as well as OCS.

I 100% agree with Marvin's post. It's a thankless task trying to take bands up to Shetland, especially when people are poo-poo-ing the gig before it has even happened. The overheads are enormous, there are many hours of unpaid extra work because of the logistics of getting a band up here and the chances of turning any kind of profit (in my experience) is less than 50/50

I appreciate that people aren't going to go out of their way to see a band they don't like, but to be slagging them off because they haven't been in the public eye for a while is unconstructive to say the least. Are the detractors suggesting that a band deteriorates because they haven't had a hit in a while?

Shetland is a small, hard to get to island in the middle of the North Sea. Any band which is experiencing current succes has little or no interest in going out of their way to play a poorly paid, poorly attended gig in Shetland

No, I'm not saying they should give up at all! There is no doubt they have faded from grace but I'm not saying because they're not "big" anymore, they should stop playing.

It depends how you define "faded from grace". They have continued to release music which their (still fairly sizeable) fanbase has lapped up, they have toured even more regularly in the last two or three years in the UK than they ever did in their so-called "heyday". Quite often when a band disappears out of the charts it is in fact a sign that their music has improved. I also doubt many of the bands in today's charts will have anything like a 15-year longevity.