Shetland-Norway Ferry Service Petition

Kavi Ugl

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Norrona continues to sail right through Yell Sound every week. ?

Would quite like to see that. When does she usually go through Yell Sound?

I think it's very much dependent on what port she's calling in Denmark. Hanstholm is further north so she heads to the north of Shetland. Esjberg is further south so she tends to use the Fair Isle channel.

She's dropping both Esjberg and Hanstholm in favour of Hirtshals in the coming weeks, so I'm guessing she'll be up towards the north of us again. Then it very much depends on weather, tides and which captain is at the helm. Yell Sound is probably more a summer than winter thing. But a Sunday afternoon is probably your best call.

• 2 weeks later...

Why to Bergen? Stavanger in norway would be allot better specialy if they hadde a ferry from Stavanger - Shetland - aberdeen This would be perfect for the pepole in Stavanger who lost theire ferry to Newcastle and it will benefit Aberdeen who is scotlands capital of oil and Stavanger is norways oil capital. With all the oil and fish related industries in does two citys and the fish farming in Shetland the ferry would be usefull for transport all year.

Norway link is a splendid idea and I signed the petition, I loved the Narrona and used it loads to everywhere it went. Bring back the Denmark link too. But, it’s probably a fantasy. And, it does make the uproar about proposed cuts in the service sound a bit hollow, we get the subsidy as a ‘life-line’, but don’t need a life line when we’d rather go to Norway. Might have scored an own goal there.

Anti-Scottish ranting on here doesn’t help. Why should people miles away pay for boats and subsidies and then get slagged off for it - just because they aren't Scandinavians/ Norsky like, who are beyond criticism, even when they take zillions of quid and then cut the link.

Scotland could cut us off - just like Faroe did. Maybe Shetland should be independent – we could probably scrabble together enough for a couple of sixareens and then go wherever we want.

Why to Bergen? ... ... This would be perfect for the pepole in Stavanger who lost theire ferry to Newcastle ...quote]

That same ferry used to go on to Bergen via Haugesund.

So why not, Lerwick - Bergen - Haugesund - Stavanger - Aberdeen or any combination of these ports? :)