41 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea

• yes
    • no

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""He seems to be regarding them with disrespect and saying 'you're not really a part of society. We're going to force you to do these, what are really degrading jobs,'" - Bob Holman.

Not my words Momo, I took it from a post above.

""He seems to be regarding them with disrespect and saying 'you're not really a part of society. We're going to force you to do these, what are really degrading jobs,'" - Bob Holman.

Not my words Momo, I took it from a post above.

I just ment in general I dont understand why he or anyone would judge someone by what they do for a living. To some people there are more important things in their lives than what they do for a living. So long as you do it to the best of your ability you should be able to take pride in whatever you do.

^^ I have to say one of the very best things about Shetland Is, IMHO, the way that people are not judged by what job they do. It's nivver sure whit else they do, and most folk are extremely polite and friendly, with such a powerful sense of good manners as to respect another persons' right to dignity wherever they meet. It's top behaviour!

It's certainly loads better than many other places in the world. :D

More thought about this makes me believe that people must have the right to turn down a job if there is a good reason for them to do it. I would certainly not take any job that meant working at heights.......I get twitchy less than 10 feet up and have been known to freeze on what others would consider to be safe heights. Might give working on a boat a try but would still want to have the right to stop working on it if I could not overcome my seasickness.

Of course other people will have different fears and phobias but any plan to force people into work must take these into account.

Guest Anonymous

bloody hell JM Im terrefied of falling from a high place but nowadays you get a harness with 2 clips for any climbing so no danger of falling and with effort you can overcome the fear I did.

My grandfather was at the fishing for over 50 years and spewed his ringer every trip, weirdly after he retired he would come aff in da sma boat and it didnt bother him.

I recently went to a job on the big orange and spewed me ringer twice still went back and did another job with them though.

some folk just need to toughen up and get on with it, or the list of excuses for not doing this job or that job would be endless.

Had to clear a blocked sewer recently and probably put more spew in there than several months worth of sharn but still got on with the job.

the point of the scheme is to get the lazy feckless feckers of their asses and into work, if they dont like the job provided for them then they may be more likley to take a job that is less upsetting for them.

^^ If someone went for a job involving heights and when asked at interview if they had a height phobia, I doubt if they would be offered the job. Likewise, you aren't likely to get offered a job on many ships if you suffer from seasickness (unless, of course, medication keeps it at bay - if you pardon the pun).

Therefore, I don't foresee a problem with this.

To create unsafe working practice by putting folk, not comfortable with their surroundings is folly.

If some one has a head for heights let them do it, if they cannot do it, you cannot force them.

When I passed my tests for the MEWP it took several weeks to get the hang of it and feel that I had enough confidence and experience to safely work at heights.

But I suppose education and training will help. Though some folks may just not be able to do it, those with an inner ear disability say.

We need the boffins, without them where would we have been?

So to force folk into dangerous situations where others and themselves could be harmed for some sort of right wing point scoring is lunacy.

ALL industry claims cash from the GOV for adult education if they can. There are many private schools that do the same.

So this force to work system will not really work without training in our closing adult education facilities.

To create unsafe working practice by putting folk, not comfortable with their surroundings is folly.

If some one has a head for heights let them do it, if they cannot do it, you cannot force them.

When I passed my tests for the MEWP it took several weeks to get the hang of it and feel that I had enough confidence and experience to safely work at heights.

But I suppose education and training will help. Though some folks may just not be able to do it, those with an inner ear disability say.

So to force folk into dangerous situations where others and themselves could be harmed for some sort of right wing point scoring is lunacy.

ALL industry claims cash from the GOV for adult education if they can. There are many private schools that do the same.

So this force to work system will not really work without training in our closing adult education facilities.

not often we agree , but yes , hieghts, all my time in the construction industry i have been petrified of hieghts, and at times its been a huge joke at my expense but at times i was quite succesfull and still made a good wage, and also retraining somebody who has suffered from anxiety against their will would probably mean a tutor wearing his pc like a crown , i agree that this scheme will be a shambles dressed as brilliant idea but really just a tory effort to defficate on the poorest to subsidise the banks deficits

Hope my contract is renewed or extended next year or some of you would have us hand-digging the bloody tunnel to Whalsay for £10 on top of what ever's left of a 'benefit system' when all the cuts start to take hold...

Viva la revolution :twisted:

well the Scotch have done that here before , MEAL ROADS!! still evidence of them yet , the liberals have dragged us into a regieme that cant wait to bring back t'mill and peasant poverty

Guest Anonymous

I would imagine that the jobs the feckless will be made to do will not involve much in the way of skill or training but it will mean them getting out of bed at a decent hour and being at a place of work from the hours of 9 to 5, my point in the last post is folks sometime have to do things they dont like to make an honest living.

Do you really think i like being away from my wife and family and friends for long periods, do I heck as like, but here i am trying my best to make a living and provide for me and mine.

I honestly believe the thing most of these feckers will dislike the most is getting out of bed before midday 5 days a week

but really just a tory effort to defficate on the poorest to subsidise the banks deficits

for the love of fudge, how hard is this to grasp, as much as you want it to be its not about the infirm, its not about the disabled, its not about poorest and its not even about people with a fear of heights.

its about the shiftless, feckless, lazy, benifit cheating scumbags that im beginning to think some of you might be the way you are supporting the money for nothing lifestyle labour allowed to become an accepted way of life.

OMG what are you talking about.

i dont think most of britains layabouts will be absailers or astronauts.