Tom Morton joins the SIC

paulb

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderation or Censureship?
Moderation. If someone starts a new thread to discuss a topic that is already under discussion elsewhere, the thread is locked and a redirect is posted. No-one is preventing you from expressing your opinion

If you can explain why you need two threads to discuss the same topic, we'll happily consider unlocking it

Moderation. If someone starts a new thread to discuss a topic that is already under discussion elsewhere, the thread is locked and a redirect is posted. No-one is preventing you from expressing your opinion

If you can explain why you need two threads to discuss the same topic, we'll happily consider unlocking it

This post discusses Tom Morton joining SIC.

I was proposing a thread to discuss the weekly utterenaces from the Chief Executive. Perhaps my tongue in cheek language detracted from that. The purpose is shetland folk being able to discuss the weekly media communication without fear for favour.

PB,

I'm in general agreement with Earl Patrick on this. Shetlink should be a forum where people can discuss issues without revealing their identity - within the T&Cs, of course.

Why not unlock the thread with the less controversial title "Alternative anonymous CE Blog discussion"?

Shetlink should be a forum where people can discuss issues without revealing their identity - within the T&Cs, of course.

I completely agree, and that is the very point of Shetlink. The original ethos was to encourage and facilitate debate on local issues when few other channels were available

However, I don't believe copying the Chief Exec's blog posts to Shetlink in their entirety and diverting discourse from a medium where the public have a 'direct line' to the CE is in the spirit of Shetlink

As said previously, no-one is being prevented from expressing their opinion here, but a thread started apparently to undermine the CE's attempts to engage with the community and garner feedback is at best unproductive

By all means discuss issues raised in the CE's blog on Shetlink but, for the above reasons, I'm not comfortable with a thread which regularly copies the CE's blog to Shetlink rather than use the in-situ comments facility provided by the blog

I understand that many people are in positions where putting their name to an opinion is problematic, but I believe it is a very positive move for the CE to start a blog and invite comments, I support him completely for doing so and I encourage people to make the most of the opportunity to engage with him via his blog

But I'm only one member of the Shetlink/Shetland community and I'm happy to debate the issue

Shetlink should be a forum where people can discuss issues without revealing their identity - within the T&Cs, of course.

I completely agree, and that is the very point of Shetlink. The original ethos was to encourage and facilitate debate on local issues when few other channels were available

However, I don't believe copying the Chief Exec's blog posts to Shetlink in their entirety and diverting discourse from a medium where the public have a 'direct line' to the CE is in the spirit of Shetlink

As said previously, no-one is being prevented from expressing their opinion here, but a thread started apparently to undermine the CE's attempts to engage with the community and garner feedback is at best unproductive

By all means discuss issues raised in the CE's blog on Shetlink but, for the above reasons, I'm not comfortable with a thread which regularly copies the CE's blog to Shetlink rather than use the in-situ comments facility provided by the blog

I understand that many people are in positions where putting their name to an opinion is problematic, but I believe it is a very positive move for the CE to start a blog and invite comments, I support him completely for doing so and I encourage people to make the most of the opportunity to engage with him via his blog

But I'm only one member of the Shetlink/Shetland community and I'm happy to debate the issue

You agree with the CE so you shut down a link = censureship.

At least we know where you and presumably shetlink stand.

Bring on South rule.

Once the strangulation wears off (some folk would enjoy throttling you) why not open a new thread under that auspice. However I would suggest changing the title to "Moderation or Censorship?"

I accept the reprimand for my poor spelling in good grace, bug.

Another reason first rate schools like Scalloway should be applauded rather than closed.

Once the strangulation wears off (some folk would enjoy throttling you) why not open a new thread under that auspice. However I would suggest changing the title to "Moderation or Censorship?"

I accept the reprimand for my poor spelling in good grace, bug.

Another reason first rate schools like Scalloway should be applauded rather than closed.

A somewhat tenious link! - but I see your point and accept your hat doffing - attendees at Scalloway school (unlike yourself) would be grammaticaly correct also.

I just find it so utterly depressing that it's felt necessary to employ a "communications officer" for a population of 22,000 people. If somebody canna just come on the radio and tell folk what's happening then I question if they should even be in the job.

I've read AB's latest blog and see that within the first paragraph he's committed the cardinal sin of refering to the "Scottish Mainland". From Shetland, there's no such thing. This is Shetland and that -> is Scotland. Oh well, this along with the facts that he hasn't achieved anything since coming here, talks waffle, and is allowing the poorest workers in the SIC to face the cuts(again) instead of getting rid of the hundreds of non-job and over paid workers has caused him to burn his bridges with me.

Not sure why I even half-expected anything else :roll:

I've read AB's latest blog and see that within the first paragraph he's committed the cardinal sin of refering to the "Scottish Mainland". From Shetland, there's no such thing. This is Shetland and that -> is Scotland

I hope that's a joke! If not, it's a cracking moan :wink:

Isn't Shetland part of Scotland? And if it's a "cardinal sin" to refer to "the Scottish Mainland", how is the CE meant to describe the big blob of land south of Orkney, east of Skye and north of England? Perhaps the SIC's new communications advisor knows a less controversial way to define the disputably named landmass? :)

....if it's a "cardinal sin" to refer to "the Scottish Mainland", how is the CE meant to describe the big blob of land south of Orkney, east of Skye and north of England?

Oh, don't tempt me to offer up "suggestions". :wink:

Seriously though. While I applaud AB's attempt to "engage and inform", or however he put it, the public and council staff, having seen three week's worth of blog, the only thing he's succeeded in achiveing with me is lowering my opinion of him and his abilities by numerous percentage points.

Much as it offends and greives me to find myself agreeing in any way with someone who claims to be nobility (even if it is in pseudonym only), EP does have a point, the whole thing is an exercise in nothingness, so far at least.

Its an excellent piece of work as far as political speech writing goes, and worthy of any political party manifesto at election time, but nothing more. A lot of words encompassing many subjects, but nothing specific, and telling folks very, very little they didn't know already. To be frank, we've been fed far too much "saying the right thing" when circumstances called for it, only to have the whole thing vanish without trace thereafter, by the senior elected brigade, we don't need a guy on £2000/week to do it for them.

If AB is serious about knocking this council in to shape (if he can), and getting meaningful feedback during the process, he's going to have to put out something a whole lot more specific than the first three posts have been. Its all fine and well to talk in general terms about his "road map", "necessary cuts", "reorganisation" etc, etc, but unless folk are told what that means in terms of what, where, how, etc, etc, its worthless waffle, and altogether a bit patronising.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if AB fully appreciates just how far down the tubes the SIC had flushed itself when he walked in the Toon Haa door, and just how pissed off a lot of folk had become of them.

I've read AB's latest blog and see that within the first paragraph he's committed the cardinal sin of refering to the "Scottish Mainland". From Shetland, there's no such thing. This is Shetland and that -> is Scotland

I hope that's a joke! If not, it's a cracking moan :wink:

Isn't Shetland part of Scotland? And if it's a "cardinal sin" to refer to "the Scottish Mainland", how is the CE meant to describe the big blob of land south of Orkney, east of Skye and north of England? Perhaps the SIC's new communications advisor knows a less controversial way to define the disputably named landmass? :)

Na, na it's not a joke at all. Scotland has held Shetland back for centuries and the sooner we break away from it the better. As to what AB should call it all he simply has to do is what most Shetland folk do and call it "doon sooth" or as I do, Scotland. .

Scotland really is a dreadful country and was listed as the most violent country in the western hemisphere or something just last year. And I can believe it judging from what you hear and see in the news.

Back on topic, and I think what AB will find(if he hasn't already) is that the white collar staff of the SIC and all the mini-empires that have been built up are simply untouchable.