tall ships

hflynn

I didn't expect the vessels to be particularly visible at the start, but I toddled up to the Knab at 16:50 just to see what couldn't be seen. Just for the record I took a pic:

http://www.erik-moncrieff.com/misc/TallShipsRaceStart.jpg

:wink:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LPA Notice to mariners published in The Shetland Times Friday 22nd July 2011 wrote: hmmmmm mariners I am afraid I don't have a boat and yes I did not read the notice to the mariners in the paper ,but in the booklet as like many many other ppl it said start of race at lighthouse .

But as I said on a happy note it was a fantastic 4 days loved seeing the tall ships they were spectacular even if the weather was not to kind it all worked out good .:)

^^ Where's the actual finish line at Stavanger? Is it possible they've crossed the finish, and are just cruising a bit before heading in to port.

I don’t know enough about it to be sure of the answer to that one and am still working so haven’t got time to go googling. I’m guessing from the layout of the little islands and coastline that they will be berthing at various voes and harbours as they won’t all fit into one place. But Mir was a long way out when she turned back – you will find the link to the tracker I’m looking at somewhere further up this thread. Do they establish that a ship has won while still away out at sea by GPS?

^^ I don't know how the set up works either. Both the Mir and the Dar Mlodziezy virtually doubled back on themselves at approx the same point, which is approx 5 miles off the coast according to the tracking, the Dar Mlodziezy is sailing a near parallel course to the Mir about 5 miles astern. The Soerlandet stopped travelling eastward at around the same point as the other two, but instead of copying them and heading back west, is now about 15 miles to the south sailing approx SSW in the process of apparently doing a 20+ mile diameter circle.

None of the three are flagged up as having completed the race yet though, so I'm clueless.

None of the three are flagged up as having completed the race yet though, so I'm clueless.

And Mir has dropped her speed to just over 3 knots whereas when she was in the lead, she was making nearly 6.

Maybe some well-informed person will pile in and tell us! Meanwhile I have finished work and am off to bed...

It looks as if the finishing line was a lot further out than Yellowbrick was showing it. These boats must have finished and are just waiting their chance to berth in Stavanger now.

It had me confused last night but that's the only explanation I can come up with.

The Stavavnger event doesn't actually start till tomorrow and berthing looks tight so they probably have to take them alongside in some sort of order.

Why would I won't stravanger to move closer ,get a grip mate .

The parade of sale was already out on the horizon by 3pm as my mother in law was waiting with family to watch the start .

Please don't treat me like a fool please I am not a 5yrs old .

I mean they managed it fine in 1999 with the start at the lighthouse and by the way you could see the horizon just fine it was not misty at all .

And I mean to say was why put start of race to be at lighthouse and the same in Shetland times on Friday .okay understand now .

:lol: