New SIC Leadership - It is?!?

Ghostrider

There never seems to be fresh new faces that want to change stuff.

There are a number of community councilor places vacant, seems no one is really bothered. You will still have a couple of weeks to get your nomination papers in to stand, don't be a chicken and get involved, or shhh

Are you suggesting that just because someone dosn't become a member of the CC they are not allowed to have an opinnion or make comment ?(shhh) :?

Are you suggesting that just because someone dosn't become a member of the CC they are not allowed to have an opinnion or make comment ?(shhh) :?

Nahh surely not, that would be stupid. I can imagine saying that someone should wind their neck in if they didn't vote in their council elections but not because they didn't become a community councillor.

Well gentlemen, these people were all democratically elected by the people of Shetland, and in many cases they have been re elected several times, therefore one must imagine that their electorate is happy with their performance.

I do hope all of you voted, and if you didn't shame on you. You may also wish to consider putting your names forward at the next elections to see how you fair

with the voters :)

Or perhaps they're merely the best that each community in Shetland has to offer.....That worries me.

Comment by all means, words would be better directed at the council, but I am sure they look through these posts.

Anyhow, as only 39% took an interest in the Lerwick S By-elections, in this ward the shh goes to the majority.

I think folk should get involved, go to more meetings, raise questions via letter and get what they want. It is a shame folk do not get involved, except for anon comments on a forum.

There is always the taking part, winning may not always be possible. But, you have done more than most....

Or perhaps they're merely the best that each community in Shetland has to offer.....That worries me.

Why don't you stand then - otherwise where are the alternatives magically going to appear from? That's what gets me about this forum - folk girn and moan about what a backside the current incumbents have made of it all, pondering and speculating as to who (other than them of course) is going to stand and make a better job of it next time round. If you want to see change folks, get off your moaning backsides and make it happen instead of always waiting for others to.

^^ There's another side to it. Shetland has a finite population, 22,000?? or thereabouts.

Around 25-30% of that cannot stand, they're under 18. Lets be conservative and use the 25% number, that's 5500 under 18's, leaving 16,500 possibles. Council employees are immediately disqualified from standing, the council has around 3000 full time equivalent employees (2959 being the exact number I think). However as that is the full time equivalent figure, the actual number of people affected will be far more than 3000, given the large percentage of less than full time staff on the council's books. I shouldn't think a guestimate of circa 3500 being disqualified due to their employment status is overstating the situation. That leaves 13,000 possibles.

Then factor in those who through old age, poor health, disability etc either simply cannot perform the job, or it is wholly impractical for them to try and do so. There is no quick and easy way to come up with a figure for those, but at a guess I'd opt for a number in the same ballpark as the under 18's total, but to give the benefit of the doubt I'll wind that back a bit, and say 5000. That now leaves 8000 possibles.

From that 8000 you then have to take away the don't know/don't care/don't want to know/don't give a damn contingent, and whoa, your pool of possibles is now getting dangerously small, and you still have to pull out those who due to whatever committments they may have simply cannot consider it. You probably in practical terms end up with 10-15% or less of the population that could be considered "available", and from that you have to find 22 that have the required talents, and are willing. A rather tall order, as according to the law of averages, around 85-90% of your best people for various reasons cannot be called in to the game.

As I've said on here somewhere before, I would throw my name in to the ring next time around, if I could. But disability means that getting to my front door and outside is difficult enough, never mind getting to and in to the Town Hall. And unfortunately even in this day and age of virtual everything, ones physical presence is both required and expected to fulfill the role.

I'm under no illusion I'd win if I stood, in fact I'd put money on the fact I'd lose, I have rubbed too many people up the wrong way as I've passed through life to expect any significant support, but at least standing would allow me the credibility to say "I told you so" to everybody when mammaries suddenly tipped skyward yet one more time.

^^Did I not hear that council employees were now allowed to stand for election to the council but would have to give up their job if they were elected.

I am wondering what I will do at the next council election. Certainly have no desire to vote for any of the incumbents in my area. Guess I will vote for anyone new who seems reasonable but otherwise I will abstain. Not something that comes easily to me as I am very much inclined towards the view that people who do not vote should not complain about what they get.

But no, I am not going to stand. Going to blame it on my "nerves".

^^Did I not hear that council employees were now allowed to stand for election to the council but would have to give up their job if they were elected.

You're correct. Rick Nickerson did just that. However it is still a consideration t give up a well paid SIC job for £16k per annum as a councillor.

The Chief Executive I think was given a £1m budget for his improvement plan.

I would be more than happy to see an additional £1m spent on topping up councillors' statutory salaries. If the current MSP/MP/MEP salary was applied to councillors (around £60k) I think we'd see a far better range of candidates.

Some of our brightest businessmen, teachers, lawyers, doctors etc would be fantastic politicians for Shetland. But they are not going to throw themselves forward to a 24/7 job on a relatively small salary.