Housing Policy

Kavi Ugl

And yet again another "resident" from the new housing scheme Grodians endears themself to the Shetland community....

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/685-teenager-on-probation-for-drunken-assaults.html

Name a street in Lerwick that every resident past or present has been of impecable character.

I don't understand what you are trying to prove, especially if folk who run their own businesses and/or own their own house get upto similar activities. What are you trying to inflame?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what you are trying to prove.....

Early days Sandveien v2.0, Hoofields clone in the making....Perhaps.

Every neighbourhood has its few less than impeccably behaved characters, such is life, but the number of "usual suspects" with addresses in Quoys is beginning to look disproportionately and unhealthily on the high side.

I'm not trying to inflame anything, it just irks me that so many people from a brand new public housing scheme seem to be in trouble with the law while many other decent and hard working people who will never be in trouble with the law are stuck in a hovel somewhere, and miles down the waiting list....

I've actually heard the comment that it's not a new church they should be building at Quoys but a prison because of the people they've filled Grodians with....

And I've also had the quote of a resident from Grodians mentioned to me that "it's lovely houses and a beautiful new scheme but they've filled it with druggies and alchoholics".

GR has basically summed up what I'm also trying to say(thanks GR, I'm blyde somebody else can see it!).

And yet again another "resident" from the new housing scheme Grodians endears themself to the Shetland community....

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/685-teenager-on-probation-for-drunken-assaults.html

Pretty poor naming and shaming a person on Shetlink regardless.

You have annonymity via your Shetlink profile.

Pretty poor of the Moderators letting this link go through!

No one's personal identity showed be exposed via Shetlink for a slagging off.

(*** Mod edit - content removed ***)
Well there could just be a clue in the bit about the guy being just about to complete an apprenticeship. Not the first young (and indeed not so young) person living in Shetland to have troubles coping with drink. Maybe the Sheriff thinks there is still hope that the guy will mend his ways.

As for the division between state help given to "troublemakers" compared to hard working people there is a very simple explanation. A lot of help is given to "troublemakers" in the hope that they will change or at least be less of a nuisance to society. Guess you would probably shoot them instead.

As for the division between state help given to "troublemakers" compared to hard working people there is a very simple explanation. A lot of help is given to "troublemakers" in the hope that they will change or at least be less of a nuisance to society. Guess you would probably shoot them instead.

A thought born out of the "make love not war" mindset of the later 60's and early 70's, and pushed by bleeding heart liberals ever since.

"It's not your fault, you're not being punished"...."You have a "problem"...."Lets talk about it".....Sheesh.... Its absolute baloney when applied across the board, (and I say that having seen it from both sides of the fence).

Yes, for a very small number of people with very real problems, such as significant mental issues etc, which results in out of control destructive and self destructive behaviour, addressing the root "problem" sypathetically, rather than the outcome of it, is the civilised and sensible approach. Bending over backwards to invent criteria and names for "problems" just so that everybody who offends can be said to have a "problem" is insanity.

There is a clear cut line between offending done by someone who did not have and could not obtain control to prevent things going that route, and someone who for whatever reason chooses to not retain control over their actions. The former are those who need help and understanding and if at all possible, treatment, the latter need consequences to persuade them it wasn't one of their wiser move sto go there.

They say everything in live behaves like a pendulum, and I'm tempted to believe it, things, especially those overseen by public bodies swing from one extreme to their polar opposite with monotonous regularity.

We had for a long time, a very poor system for dealing with offenders, it largely relied on the assumption that unless someone was certifiably insane they were fully in control and answerable for their actions. That was recognised as being seriously flawed and amended to allow consideration to be given to the greyer areas of mental inabilities as part of the process. Unfortunately once those who campaigned for the original change were given an inch, with the help of those who have joined them over the last 40 years, they've taken a mile. We're now at the other full swing of the pundulum, where everybody is assumed to have an underlying "issue" to their offending.

We've gone from the situation of those with weak or feeble minds being punished for things that they did not fully comprehend or fully control, to where anybody can choose to let go of control just for the hell of it, or just for kicks, as there is no consequences for them anymore. Its a situation thats just re-arranged the faces and places, but is equally as bad as before. I really don't know whats worse, people being punished for things that they were not entirely responsible for, or everyone else being punished because someone does whatever they like whenever and wherever they like, as theres no consequences should they be caught, to provide them with an incentive not to do so.

A happy medium would be ideal, where those with real mental issues contributing to their offending are identified and properly addressed, and those who are just out for kicks are seen as such, and get a size 12 steel toecap hard up the jacksi.

You need both the stick and the carrot when dealing with people, and most importantly the ability to tell which to use. It used to be 90+% stick, now its 90+% carrot, the former didn't work, the latter hasn't worked yet, isn't working, and never will.

I wasn't meaning or intending to name and shame anybody but was merely pointing out yet another person from Grodians in trouble with the law, and as for anoynimity if I find myself on the wrong side of the law my name will be blazoned in the Shetland news too. How can I be "naming and shaming" anybody when their name is already on the world wide web in connection with court proccedings?.

I was in Alec Morrisons on Wednesday and standng at the door was a scruffy individual with a dog and inside was another guy with a broad english accent yapping to(looked like basically pestering to me) the young female shop assistant.

Both men were obviously together and it was clear as day that they obviously don't work but have washed up, or been sent, here from sooth.

I'm fed up with what's happening to Shetland......

What are you talking about Mattie, it was in the Shetland Times.

I know someone in Grodians, him and his wife moved there when it first opened, they had a junkie placed in the house next door to them, they are having a terrible time with noise from parties and degenirates hanging about and this is going on 24hrs a day. Police have been called but have done nothing, Hjatland has been called, still nothing done, probably because they get guaranteed rent from the government for housing these people.

If you drive past 'the scheme' on the main road you'll know exactly which house it is, towels for curtains and stuff smeared all over the windows, cans and beer bottles in the garden....................f-ing disgrace!!!!