Gaming online

Piddly

Hi,

I bought myself a playstation 3 at the tail end of last year having played Modern Warfare 2 onliine at a pals, i quickly became addicted:)

Here is my problem, when playing MW2 and Black Ops, for people who know, your connection can give you a considerable advantage when playing against others online. I am constantly having to play on a 3 bar connection, sometimes a 2 bar, the 'bar' goes from 1-4, 1 being useless and 4 being best.

Anyway, I was at a friends at the south end of the town playing on his PS3 the other night and was constantly getting a 4 bar connection, the difference is amazing and makes the game much more enjoyable and helps out immensly with the stats, i was running around blasting everyone and winning the majority of 1 on 1 gunfights, normally on a 3 bar your chances are 50/50.

How can i get a 4 bar??? Maybe there is nothing i can do. I live in the north end of town, have broadband through BT, my router is the black one which is connected by an ethernet cable.

Please help;)

Thanks

So that 'bar' is the ping time between you and the host. Ping is the time it takes for 1 packet of data to go from your connection to the host connection and back. So basically, if your ping is high (usually above 160ms on console games) it'll be fairly unplayable at most times.

The host in this case, will be the player who created the game or the player with the best connection in the room. And quite frankly, they'll be nothing you can do about it. At peak times (6pm - 11pm), the ping in Shetland can be very high and it'll be down to your internet connection and nothing else.

Not much I can suggest apart from not playing at peak times. Oh and make sure you're NAT isn't 'strict' this will reduce the amount of players you can play with. It should say on the online menu's what your NAT is, if it's strict, look up your router/ADSL modem and the term 'port forwarding'. You'll need to make sure that the ports either the PS3 or 360 use aren't being blocked.

Another suggestion: get a decent internet service provider. BT are known for throttling ping timings.

Thanks for the info KoFUN & SP,

My NAT is 'strict', i have no idea how to change this, sorry, i'm useless with bloody technology.

Any suggestions for another ISP? I've jst taken a package with BT for a year, got unlimited download(option 3) for £10pcm, thought this was a gd deal at the time, now thinking i wouldn't mind paying a little extra so my ps3 online exp was better.

Also, no idea about 'Pings' but i just did a test using ThinkBroadband:

D'load 1mbps

U'load 0.4mbps

Ping 85ms

This is pretty normal where I am, Is this ping speed any use?

Thanks

The ping is like a submarine sonar, it records the echo of your ping in mS and therefore the speed, lower the ping the better.

I have Virgin here 10mb it is good but only as good as the speed of the site I am viewing.

Search for Game Booster, it closes programs that runs in backgroung, defrags game directories and sorts RAM for best gaming mode, it is free and quite handy.

Ooops, did not notice sorry. You can make sure that you are the only one using the connection when you are playing.

You can have a low ping as well as a low available transfer level (mb).

I turn most of my graphics and audio to lower levels to speed up the game as well. It helps with PC, dunno about PS tho.

Good Luck

Im not sure if this would help your ping ( which is what you really want to improve for gaming ) but you can Phone Bt and explain how your landline is used for the internet and ask them to increase the volume of the line.

I believe that the usual default is low volume as most land lines are set up for phone calls not the internet. even if it doesnt decrease your ping i should improve your download and upload rates.. ( discalimer - dotn expect a huge difference :P )

Im not sure if this would help your ping ( which is what you really want to improve for gaming ) but you can Phone Bt and explain how your landline is used for the internet and ask them to increase the volume of the line.

I believe that the usual default is low volume as most land lines are set up for phone calls not the internet. even if it doesnt decrease your ping i should improve your download and upload rates.. ( discalimer - dotn expect a huge difference :P )

It won't help because it is technically not possible

Broadband does not operate on the voice freqeuencies of the telephone line.

Thanks for all the help guys, i'm thinking switching my ISP may be the only solution, if that is a solution:(

Does anybody on here have the same problem? Are you with BT if you are? If your not experiencing the same problem then who's your ISP?

Thanks