Shetland's cultural diversity and integration

Styles

....... lest they be mocked by the rest of the community......

A "nail on the head" moment.

I think that people need to have the courage of their convictions and not be frightened of what others think. I'm not about to worry what anyone thinks :lol:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, just joined this forum. Makes good reading!

Anyway, are Shetlanders reserved? In the most part yes. I think us soothmoothers (for I am one) do tend to get up and ask the questions or fight for their rights because it is a tough soothmoother that lives here. Used the namby-pamby life in the south where veg is wrapped and washed and colour coded, meat is unidentifiable and you can order out for anything you want. When you come up here to make a life for yourself and/or your family, you have gone through a lot usually to get here and you are bloody well going to make it work!

So us southern softies have toughened up and are not going to take any turd from the Education Department or the Council or whoever is trying to make our lives difficult. Shetlanders sit back and watch and make quiet relevant comments! But when a Shetlander gets stirred up, god help us all! They roar!

F

Hi, just joined this forum. Makes good reading!

................... When you come up here to make a life for yourself and/or your family, you have gone through a lot usually to get here and you are bloody well going to make it work! .....

F

I have seen a lot of soothmoothers come and go. Often the difficulty in getting jobs was the reason stated to me. They heard many promises when they were south, but the reality when they arrived was different. Housing was also an issue. Many come from where you make an offer and the house is yours rather than the "blind auction".

When I leave it will be because of the lack of opportunites that have been open to me.

It will be a wrench as I love the environment and the fact that you can trust people here on the whole, but I can't work on temporary contracts for pisspoor wages indefinitely.

Not anymore it isn't.

You have to be a fish farm or with the right handshake.

F

thats just an easy excuse trotted out by people who think their idea is the dogs stoness but get knocked back and cant see that its their preparation and business plan that is not right not their handshake, for every succesful business idea there quite a few failures.

I've had plenty of them myself and learnt from them, and in hindsight it was because the ideas that I had then wer'nt financially sound, but when I did present a sound idea I got the help that was required, many people arrive here and think that its an easy place to succeed but it is not it takes alot of hardwork mainly due to the limit of the shetland market.

I'd have to agree with that too, my dealings with them have been pretty positive, if a business plan holds up, they'll support it. They are obviously reluctant to throw open the purse strings, but quite rightly so, after past disasters (more so for the Development Trust)

True to say, the biggest hold up in any schemes i've pursued with them has been my reserved Shetlandic business attitude

Guest perrie-lipper
I've had plenty of them myself and learnt from them, and in hindsight it was because the ideas that I had then wer'nt financially sound, but when I did present a sound idea I got the help that was required, many people arrive here and think that its an easy place to succeed but it is not it takes alot of hardwork mainly due to the limit of the shetland market.

This is interesting to read, however you said “the limit of the Shetland Marketâ€.....the market place is changing all the time, and good business plans look for a gap in the market or indeed for potential capture of new markets developing, the main misconception of many people with business plans is that they only look at the idea and the audience they can target...when the market place must be researched to see what the consumer is looking for and develop a product from the demand measured, good luck to anyone who is creative enough and willing to give business a challenge, people like choice and there is plenty of room in Shetland for new developments.

The only limit to the shetland market is thinking like that. There are a few successful businesses that have started here but now seem to do most of their business outside of the island or have successful operations outside of Shetland.

Also with the advent of the internet the world is your market not Shetland.

As far as Shetlanders being reserved I think the Sakchai Makao thread is proving otherwise.

Are we reserved, or do we just not talk until there is something worth saying?

I attended Henley Regatta last year, and was very impressed with (and completely could not compete with) the amount of 'small talk' that these (upper class, public school) people can come out with while saying nothing of any value whatsoever. It's incredibly superficial.

Just because others are louder does not mean they actually have something worth saying...

Are we reserved, or do we just not talk until there is something worth saying?.......

.......... It's incredibly superficial.......Just because others are louder does not mean they actually have something worth saying...

There is certainly something in this arguement !

I remember trying to convince someone that I was honest enough to be trusted in renting his flat. After rambling on for ages about what a decent bloke I am and giving examples he told me that I was speaking a lot but not saying much! :oops:

As far as the issue of standing up for oneself, I think that the soothys do it with more aplomb :wink:

Reserved? Maybe.......... friendly and welcoming? I was overwhelmed at how friendly everyone I met was.

Not sure if that really qualifies as a comment on the subject or not.... but I just wanted to add my little bit.

And if soothmoother means someone from the south... then I reckon I'm the sootest moother around these parts :P

lynnie