Deportation of Sakchai Makao

DavieG

Me tommy gerty pottsy and richard went out 2nite for a well desered pint. We stood outside the legeon for about 20 minutes waiting for richard to park his car.

In the space of 20 minutes we saw droves of folk sign pretitions in the happy hadock. around 15 folk spoke in length about the situation. Shetland is well aware of the situation. I defiy anyone who can find a shetlander that wont support the campain. Sadly sakchai proberly knows less due to his maximum security threat to the public...bullsh*t.

We are already making great progress, tommorow we intend to distrbute the posters kindly made up by the shetland times around lerwick.

We need to spread the word even wider and its great to see folk fae london giving support.

God bless sakch you'll be home soon.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done the Home Office. We complain about leniency against convicted criminals and now we complain when we deport those here who commit crime. Let's not forget who the convicted criminal is.

Robert Andrew, Lerwick

I agree, this man committed a crime and is not originally of this country. When the Scotsman who carried out sex attacks in Australia was released we had to take him eback here so the same must stand for all others ... I've said my piece.

Terry Ogg, Lerwick

I do hope these two can reflect on what they have said.

I don't think leniency came into the equation when Sakchai was sentenced. How would you feel if you had commited a crime, paid the price, re-integrated succesfully into the community, then years later been deported to an alien country on the other side of the world because an embarrased government with an election looming, suddenly had a target to meet in an attempt to save face?

Sakchia is not a serial paedophile like the Australian case. William Gallager emigrated there as an adult and has spent his life breaking the law. Australia saw him as such a threat, they changed their laws so they could hold him after his release date. That anyone could make a connection between the two cases beggars belief!

I do not know Sakchai personally but know of him and think this an absolute outrage! I am really disgusted in the treatment of this young man since being raided and hope to hell that all our messages, signatures. letters and phone calls make the difference we need to right this wrong. My (and many others) thoughts are with you (Sakchai's family), I can only imagine what you must be going through....

Go Davie G!! You are doing an amazing job - RESPECT!

Been up since early listening out on Good Morning Scotland, via the web, for the campaign's promised slot. It was a peak time one.

Davie G came over very well indeed, with a sincere, balanced and deeply passionate advocacy of Sakchai's cause, full of common sense. What it is to have faithful friends!

Let's hope that several significant players were listening - as well as the canny Scots public, who have a keen sense of fair play that 'middle England' so often lacks!

I'd also suggest getting trying to raise the matter on BBC R4's "Today" programme - the one that Dr Reid sups his salt porridge to...although I can feel one of his traditionally robust 'Duty Thug' "Today" appearances coming on - that is if the Home Office ever stops hiding behind their "We never comment on individual cases" smokescreen!

Give Jim Naughtie a ring...if this isn't a case that proves the new IND procedures are far too blunt an instrument, I'm a Dutchman!

Good luck for an early success in securing Sakchai's release and safe return home.

Well done the Home Office. We complain about leniency against convicted criminals and now we complain when we deport those here who commit crime. Let's not forget who the convicted criminal is.

Robert Andrew, Lerwick

I agree, this man committed a crime and is not originally of this country. When the Scotsman who carried out sex attacks in Australia was released we had to take him back here so the same must stand for all others ... I've said my piece.

Terry Ogg, Lerwick

Alternative viewpoints from the BBC news article HERE

I don't think you can disagree ( as unlucky as it is ) that Sakchai falls into the category that the home office is looking out for.. What is wrong in all this, is the way that the home office has gone about it, Lack of investigation and looking at it logically before reacting, as i said previously.. it a case of a number/name being churned out by a computer, Human taking it as gospel and not reading into the finer details.

personally i think the actions of the Home office and the police in this have been frankly disgusting.

You can obviously see that the home office have simply come up with a list of anyone who isn't "British", who has any criminal offence and simply went "Right let get rid of the boobalubes. That will show we are well tough on crime!"

We have seen the same thing with cleints we are working with down in london. Irish (yes they aren't British) have been told that the home office plans to deport them back to irelenad when they got short sentences in Pentonville. Despite the fact that they can come back on the ferry as soon as they get to Ireland!

I thought that was bad enough till i read the Shetlink abuot sakchai's Situation. Well done to Davey Garder & everyone else at Shetlink for highlighting this. I plan to get everyone in my office to sign up.

New Labour came to power on a promise to care for those in need - the elderly, the young and minorities. They have now become more sleazy then the Old Tories, and this incident underlines the fact that they are completely out of touch with the people of the United Kingdom. What happened to Sakchai is wrong - and if they can't tell the difference between right and wrong then it's time to go.

Meanwhile, let's all make a noise - to Councillors, MSPs, Mps, MEPs and everyone who is publicly accountable and let them know that, as a community, we find this kind of behaviour intolerable. I only hope that Sakchai has some way of knowing the depth of feeling and the levl of support in Shetland.

It might be prudent to hide people's addresses on the ePetition page, because many have put full addresses and will probably get a shedload of junk mail once an advertising organisation gets hold of them.

Just a thought...

It might be prudent to hide people's addresses on the ePetition page, because many have put full addresses and will probably get a shedload of junk mail once an advertising organisation gets hold of them.

Just a thought...

Well stated. The signers are hidden from view.

Morning everybody and thanks for the ongoing tremendous support. I wish we could answer you all personally but just dont have the time at the moment. Sorry about that. Havin to work normally too.

There is little new to report at the moment. It does appear that Sakchai will be held in Durham for the time being at least, which is OK in one way I suppose. At least we have legal access there now. We are being offered lawyers on a regular basis so even if they do move him we will be ok in that respect I feel.

I have spoken to Alistair Charmicael this morning and he is still fully on the case and making slow, frustrating but positive progress. Will keep you posted.

The BBC are also being brilliant. They have set up a comments page on their news website and are willing to keep the story as high profile as they can over the comig period. Please log onto the BBC Scotland site and register your support here too. They also gave me an excellent spot to set out Sakchai's case on their mornng news programme Good Morning Scotland - so thanks again to them for that.

The rest of the media are also being incredibly supportive and are seeking all the positive ways they can of keeping the story in the spotlight for us.

I am also awaiting a response from Sky and now, following the Radio Scotland programme this morning, and a phone call I received from a friend on the mainland after that, we may have News of the World interest. This has largely been motivated by the comments appearing on this website - fantastic for us and hopefully for Shetlink and their 'service' too. It just goes to show these things do work.

The national media do seem to be focusing a bit on his criminal record, but I have no problem with this as it brings it out into the open where we can publicly put our case in this respect. The angle I am taking on this (your thoughts would be much appreciated though) is that if anyone is looking for a blueprint for the positive end result of a custodial service, surely a process aimed at 'correction' of the individual concerned, Sakchai could be used as a shining example of what can be achieved via such a process. I would have thought the Home Office would have seen such a case as a positive to be highlighted - unless you happen to be 'coloured' I suppose.

What sort of message does treatment of this kind send to those who they are seeking to re-habilitate by this harsh process. When have you paid your dues in their eyes? Following his release Sakchai has been a model member of this community, they should be using him as an example in this respect not seeking to persecute him still further and without warning. Are you forever a 'terrorist' in their eyes?

The offers of support and finance are still coming in thick and fast so please keep them coming and increasing if possible, they really are helping in every way imaginable. As I say rest assured we will use these far more tangibly in the days to come when we know where we actually have to take the fight too from here. So stand by!!!! Until then just hit every website and other lines of communication you can think of, as this is currently the most high profile help to us.

Keep hitting the Home Secretary at reidj@parliament.uk and aim at Jack Mcconnell too if you can.

We have had condemnation of the situation from the local Labour Party and support from the SIC and Tavish our MSP. Thiis is incredibly welcome and politically crucial. I will now be asking them for more tangible support, through whatever political line they can influence - possibly the Scottish Parliament and first minister Jack McConnell. I feel we have Westminster where we need it at the moment via Alistair.

That's about all the news for the time being. I hope to hear from Satch later today and will update you on this and any other developments as they happen.

In the meantime a heartfelt thanks from us all and keep up the amazing work.

Davie Gardner and the 'Shetland for Sakchai' team.

Just sent off an e-mail to Rosie Kane MSP asking her for support.

I've met with Rosie on a number of occasions and she has experience campaigning against the removal of families by similar means.

I will get a phone number for her and pass it on to whoever is co-ordinating the campaign.

Euan

That would be brilliant Euan. Can you text it to me at 07748-153574.

Davie

Is there any chance someone could get a printable version of the petition on the web? We could all print off a copy and get friends/family/workmates to sign then return it.

Also copies of the poster to display wherever?

There are petitions in almost every shop etc so geth them signed there if you can. Alternatively I will get my lads to send you out one. Just let me know where. The posters are all going out today so should also be in all the shops etc.

Cheers again