Puppy toilet training

Does anyone have advice on toilet training a puppy? Our puppy is now 20 weeks old and we can not get him to "go" outside. We are taking him out at his usual needing time but he refuses to do anything. When we see the signs and him going to do his business, we quickly lift him outside - then he holds on to whatever then hides in the house (in the split second we take our eye of him) and does what he needs to do. It is driving us demented. He'll sniff about on walks, but doesn't seem to make the connection he's supposed to go outside.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Never having been a dog owner, I can only offer some advice I saw on the telly:

Take a cushion, or something he's previously pee'd on and take this outside with you when you walk him. Put it down and the smell should encourage him to pee there. Once he's used to peeing on that, in a specific location, you can dispense with the cushion.

Best I can offer I'm afraid.

/shrug

Get some pee pads (available from COPE pets shop), they are scented to attract the puppy to them, once he/she has used it a couple of times take it outdoors with him/her and pin it to the ground, hopefully he/she will get the message. Once the puppy gets used to peeing outdoors wean it off the indoor pads (but leave the old pad outside till it gets used to it fully).

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately its the actual carpet he's peeing on :( I'll try the pads again, we are using them in the house but he keeps missing - however when we did get him on it we have been disposing it straight away! maybe leaving it a bit longer then putting it out might work! worth a try.

I know it may sound a wee bit cruel (no pun intended :wink: ) put the tray outside and put the animal with it. If the garden is secure, leave it.

It will get the hang of it eventually, takes a wee bit of time and training.

After a while remove the tray. Note when the animal toilets and take it out before that, if the walk is long enough it will go.

Though saying that, you have not described the animal.

I've just read my post - its hillarious they have changed the breed shizu (with a t between the i and z - maybe I spelt it wrong) with the word "turd".

Thanks for your advice, I think consistency and perseverence is called for. He is a lovely natured pup, but this toilet training is driving us up the wall. It was easier potty training the kids.

arrrgggghhh! I've tried all you have suggested, and guess what he's doing?? still waiting till we get home then doing it 6" from his pads!! I'm taking him big long walks (as much as his wee body can manage), bring him home and before I turn back to look at him he's done his business!! Tried to get him out again as he still has his lead on, but nope ... too late!

we had fun and games with our puppy, but he got there in the end. Puppy pads all over the floor as he tended to choose the same spot more or less, BIG praise when he went on the pad, a stern word when he didn't. The vets will sell an enzymatic cleaner for the carpet - use this where he pees to get rid of the smell - it will attract him to pee there again if you don't shift it. Flash, febreeze, vanish foam are all not that good for it, the enzyme cleaner is by far the best.

I still praise our little idiot now when he goes outside so he doens't forget and he is 6 months now!

I know someone who did the whole crate training thing with their dog, and they kept her shut in it when she looked like she was about to go. They really hate to soil their own little area, so she would hold it. As soon as she was looking like she needed to go again, outside and lots of praise when she performed. It seemed cruel at the time to keep her shut up for so long, but it only took a few days for the message to get through. Maybe worth a try?

I have to say that crates are the best thing we ever did for our two :)

One we got as an ex working dog at the age of two, and she toilet trained really fast - 3 days!

The second, we used a crate with him from a pup, and only had a few accidents. I would say though, that even with a crate, you will have to thoroughly clean the carpets with spray from the vets so that pup doesnt pick up this own scents. :) good luck!

my mum used the crate system,it works well. she fostered puppies for "hearing dogs for the deaf" and that's what they do too.

When she had her first (own) puppy,she had been a "cat" person up to that point,and was bought a dog as a gift,in desperation,trying to get the dog clean, she covered the kitchen floor with black pepper...so every time the dog sniffed to wee...it sneezed...she claimed it worked.

She never used that method again though!!

Like others have said crates work really well but that might be difficult to get the puppy used to now.

Basically one of the best ways is to keep the dog outside and watch it like a hawk. If it pees then praise it immediately and give it a treat. If you are being really advanced you say something as it goes like "Hurry up". It is irritating to have to wait on a dog peeing but once you have it in their heads they learn very quickly.

To be honest I would find a spare day and sit outside with the dog as long as it takes. It will pee eventually and you have to be ready to praise and treat the second it does it. The "Hurry up" bit is just a nice little bonus that your dog will learn to pee on command. handy when you take it into a house, shop pub as you can make sure the dog is 'empty' first. Plus you wait less time if you have to chuck it out for a pee.

As for peeing in the house it will continue to cover the old pee if it can smell it. You really need to neutralise the smell. Google will give you suggestions but we found baking soda works well.