Deportation - Apparently A Debate Thread?? :?

Njugle

but wid it mak a difference discussing it wi moderators? nae offence but me cousin contacted moderators aboot his banning and nithing happened. da hale "case" against sega seemed tae be no whit he was saying or at least dats the official line :wink: but da fact dat a couple o folk wir logging in fae da same pc was explained tae moderators and a number of folk on this site have come to da same conclussion as tae multiple use o a pc yet he wis still banned. indeed i direct u tae justme's post on the troll thread on anything and everything else where anither point on the maiter is expressed. :)

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reasons for the ban. It has little to do with multiple users on the same PC or the opinions that were expressed by the user in question. I'm sorry, but we're not going to go into detail on the public forums and trawl up matters which have already been dealt with.

You are welcome to draw your own conclusions regarding the ban, but please be aware that you are doing so without knowing all the facts.

As far as the user in question contacting moderators and nothing happening, that is completely untrue. The user sent us multiple messages, often several in a row making the same points. We answered as many as we could but we simply don't have time to deal with each message, especially considering how busy we were with matters regarding the Sakchai campaign, and the user was warned several times before the ban was issued

Please understand that we moderate these forums as unpaid volunteers, and there is only so much time we can dedicate to answering multiple messages from the same user.

I have got to stick up for Moderators here.

This is not a publicly-funded resource (to my knowledge) thus no one has any god-given "right" to express an opinion. It is a private resource where members of the public are "invited" to comment.

It is the moderators who have the rights - to expel whoever they think deserves it and for whatever reason. It is THEIR house.

Segatrix's posts were almost universally negative and confrontational (and, dare it be said, boring?). The positive climate of that particular thread was being compromised and I for one heaved a sigh of relief when Sega was given the digital boot.

moderator peeriebryan wrote

Please understand that we moderate these forums as unpaid volunteers

Please all of you also understand that to be effective a moderator has to read all the messages. That means looking at threads that are of no interest to them and even with broadband it must take a fair sized chunk of their free time.

I am a member of a 100% moderated Yahoo discussion group and even then someone found a way to get some sexual spam into the group by loading it as a file rather than a message.....mods do need to be vigilant. Be kind to them and dont forget we still need to get justice for Sakachi

I have got to stick up for Moderators here.

This is not a publicly-funded resource (to my knowledge) thus no one has any god-given "right" to express an opinion. It is a private resource where members of the public are "invited" to comment.

It is the moderators who have the rights - to expel whoever they think deserves it and for whatever reason. It is THEIR house.

Segatrix's posts were almost universally negative and confrontational (and, dare it be said, boring?). The positive climate of that particular thread was being compromised and I for one heaved a sigh of relief when Sega was given the digital boot.

so if you have a public meeting or froum you must be able to take on board all points of view? no?

or its just a farce having it, i have been contacted by palls south who dont agree with the campain to keep satch, they dont understad the story atall.

Its good that we dont all think the same. this is maby the wrong forum subject line to talk about this as this line is about stach not the running of shetlink, which as a hobbie. The owners have done a briliant job so far.

i do think we have to appreciate what work bry and co does, for a wee hobbie it seems been taken over as campain headquarters for one subject, im sure they dont mind as it is a good cause, but we do have to remember it is there baby, perhaps we the users should be packing them some money for all the work they are doing too.

i do think in a open public forum we should be able to say what we like (as long as its not lible or too personal) on any subject regardless on the personal views of the owner. - or go private and/or charge people for membership etc.

well thats my view - for the moment but as usual im happy to change that if a better view comes forward

While Shetlink values the contribution of all our members, the posts from segatrix are almost always confrontational and antagonistic. Through investigation it has also become clear that hbgb, segatrix and spankybear are highly likely to be the same person. The actions of a troll.

In Internet terminology, a troll is someone who comes into an established community such as an online discussion forum, and posts inflammatory, rude or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonise the existing members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

We can't be sure that this user intended their actions to have this effect, but this is the effect they are having nonetheless. This is a great shame, as any valid points the user may have had are lost in the resulting uproar.

The Shetlink team cannot allow this to happen on what is fast becoming a vital communication tool for the Shetland community at home and abroad.

It is with great regret that we announce that Shetlink has exercised its right and this user has now been blocked from using the forum board. This decision is final.

tae be fair dis dus come across as stating dat da multiple users and views wis da reason fir da ban and if dat wisna da reason fir it den its never bin axplained as tae why he wis likewise der wis mair as enuff abuse such as derogatory remarks and accusations aimed at him so da fact dat naebodyelse wis banned it does come accross as sega being singles oot against ithers guilty o exactly da same thing but getting awy wi it. i understand dat it is haird being a mod but dat still disnae make it fair punishing wan fir da "crimes" o mony

Ok so we have got how long.........3 weeks......to think up reasons why Sakachi is a special case and why we believe he should not be removed from the UK as a convicted foreign national under the panic moves that the home office seems to be using right now. And then we have to decide who we should send our views too.

My own view is that although Sakachi did wrong he has served his sentence and has since returned to Shetland where he has been a shining example of how a person can make a fresh start. The time to consider deportation was as he was coming to the end of his sentence and as Sakachi no longer can be considered any sort of threat to society it is now contrary to any concept of justice even to consider him for deportation.

Since to pen pushers in Whitehall the words "wilful fireraising" and "15 months" sound as though this was some serious crime I think we also need to put foreward the arguement that it was a one off, he was with "bad company" at the time and that some people think the 15 month sentence was excessive.

Remember that if he loses in court there is little stopping the government putting him on the next BA flight to Bangkok......Thailand is certainly not on our governments list of places people may not be deported to.

Mentioned this some time ago but it might be worth another mention. Something for the lawyers but will Thailand accept Sakachi as a Thai person after all this time. Might help if they said no.

Keep up the fight.

is it jist me or hus da whole sakchai campaign kinda died? or am i jist no aware o whits goin on? it jist really seems to hae come to a standstill as if its aready bin won

Really cant understand this one - but let me sum up whats going on at the moment just in case:

New posters out

New t-shirts out

Petitions still being circulated and filling up

Fund raising events being arranged and starting to be publicised

Alistair Carmichaels Early Day motion in the Commons attracting support of a growing number of MP's - read other threat to find out how to do this.

Letter of character reference / support being sent to lawyer before the trial - again read page 28 of thread to find out how to do this.

Donation bank account being opened this week

On line donations opened up

On line t-shirt sales being discussed

Two big items in the national press today

BBC Radio 4 arriving here tomorrow

etc etc

Dont think because the story is temporarily out of the national news headlines that the campaign has stopped - far from it. For the press the next big date is the 7th July so we are all surprised and delighted that the story is still finding its way into the natiionals today.

We are all still working all hours to make sure that justice is delivered for Sakchai so rest asssured no-one directly involced with this camapign is taking anything for granted - again far from it.

is it jist me or hus da whole sakchai campaign kinda died? or am i jist no aware o whits goin on? it jist really seems to hae come to a standstill as if its aready bin won

Really cant understand this one given we have been posting new information on this thread daily - but just in case you have missed this let me sum up whats going on at the moment:

New posters out

New t-shirts out

Petitions still being circulated and filling up

Fund raising events being arranged and starting to be publicised

Alistair Carmichaels Early Day motion in the Commons attracting support of a growing number of MP's - read other threat to find out how to do this.

Letter of character reference / support being sent to lawyer before the trial - again read page 28 of thread to find out how to do this.

Donation bank account being opened this week

On line donations opened up

On line t-shirt sales being discussed

Two big items in the national press today

BBC Radio 4 arriving here tomorrow

etc etc

Dont think because the story is temporarily out of the national news headlines that the campaign has stopped - far from it. For the press the next big date is the 7th July so we are all surprised and delighted that the story is still finding its way into the natiionals today.

We are all still working all hours to make sure that justice is delivered for Sakchai so rest asssured no-one directly involced with this camapign is taking anything for granted - again far from it.

Seems to me that things are now really gathering momentum. Well done, Davie, and all you guyz. The important thing is for us Shetlanders to keep the pressure on the powers that be, through letters, emails, etc. The next 10 days or so are of the utmost importance. It must be SO encouraging for Sakchai to know that there are people all over the world behind this campaign, and that everyone in his homeland (Shetland) is behind him. Time is now of the essence. As a community, there is so much we can do. Individually, we can do so little. But together, we can do so much. Sakchai has touched the heart of not only Shetlanders, but people of all nations. COME ON EVERYONE, LET'S DO IT FOR HIM.

Seems to me that things are now really gathering momentum. Well done, Davie, and all you guyz. The important thing is for us Shetlanders to keep the pressure on the powers that be, through letters, emails, etc. The next 10 days or so are of the utmost importance. It must be SO encouraging for Sakchai to know that there are people all over the world behind this campaign, and that everyone in his homeland (Shetland) is behind him. Time is now of the essence. As a community, there is so much we can do. Individually, we can do so little. But together, we can do so much. Sakchai has touched the heart of not only Shetlanders, but people of all nations. COME ON EVERYONE, LET'S DO IT FOR HIM.

Cheers for this and that's the spirit. You are right about the world wide approach. Its utterly amazing so thanks again to all concerned. Donations are coming in from all over too so thanks for that as well. It will be needed thats for sure!!!!

re da whole "issue" there wis a wee while back aboot da whole "majority/all of shetland" thing. if those who are claiming dat all of shetland is behind da campaign are so confident in that claim, and considering da usual response given as to why its a third that have signed da petition as opposed to mair is cause they're probably old folk who canna get to da petition to sign it, why isn't somebody taking da petition to da older folk to allow dem tae sign? if yir sae sure they'd sign, go get their signatures.

(i tried to stick to english, but struggled noo and again :roll: )