Skerries for sale

misty25

According to Haswell-Smith, Housay, Bruray and the nearby stacks are currently owned by Cussons Estate. "They were bought by A S Cussons (of Imperial fame) in 1967. The only exception to this is Laurence Anderson who owns his own property of "Sunnyside" beside Da Stripe." Still according to Haswell-Smith, Grunay is owned by Troquil Johnson-Ferguson of Dumfriesshire who also owns Lunga.

(Hamish Haswell-Smith, The Scottish Islands, Revised Version of 2008)

So it follows that anyone who owns, or buys, property or land that doesn't turn a profit is automatically a 'mug' or a 'trophy landlord'.

I'd guess you've never met many big estate owners then......

I wouldn't know whether I've met "many", or not. I do know that you'd be extremely hard pressed to find a Shetland "estate" that wasn't founded and built for the purposes of wringing from it and its tenants every last brass farthing the successive owners possibly could. And that with the Crofting Acts which saw the demise of the unsecure "tied" crofter/fisherman, truck etc tenancy system which was the mainstay of ensuring the system worked for the Landlord, few have made much profit, and more than a few have become little else than a millstone around their owner's neck.

If an investment in anything does not and can not make a profit, I fail to see what it can be described as other than a "trophy", it doesn't exactly matter whether its your name on the deeds of some isle someplace which pays a nominal income, or a season ticket for Parkhead or Ibrox which the owner uses once or twice in a season. The owner is paying for the privilege of being able to boast that they own the item in question, they are gaining nothing else. You either own something for profit, or for pleasure, there ain't exactly many other choices.

Nothing against "trophy" owners per se, just as I said before, they do not generally make very great landlords, that's all.

Wow, you know this;

The only potential buyers are either going to be mugs or someone looking for a "trophy",

But don't know this;

Who owns the place just now anyway?

I am intrigued how you would know all of this. As said, If I aspire to own a piece of land but not make a profit from it then I am a mug. There are many other reasons to want to own a piece of land. Daft analogy.

Wow, you know this;

The only potential buyers are either going to be mugs or someone looking for a "trophy",

But don't know this;

Who owns the place just now anyway?

I am intrigued how you would know all of this. As said, If I aspire to own a piece of land but not make a profit from it then I am a mug. There are many other reasons to want to own a piece of land. Daft analogy.

I never said I "knew" any of it, it is my opinion, end of. If you aspire to own something, anything, and it cannot ever return its purchase value to you unless through your fairy godmother arriving on the day you offer it for sale, you're either a mug OR a trophy hunter.

There are only those two options on the table, purchases, whatever they are are either made for "business" or "pleasure". If you pay more that the investment can ever return, you've either been had and paid well over the odds for it (assuming you hoped/believed it would return its purchase cost ), aka. you are a mug. Or, you purchased it knowing full well you were never going to see all your money back, but the preceived value to you in the "prestige", "status" "pleasure" etc ownership would bring, was, in your eyes priceless, aka. a trophy hunter.

This is not a judgement call on the wisdom of the current owner, other than curiosity as to who the chancer is that's trying it on by setting such an unbelievably high guide price on the sale. Until and unless what the current owner paid for it becomes known, there is an equal possibility that when they acquired it they only paid a realistic price for it, and have indeed already returned an acceptable profit on their original investment, as there is a possibility of any other scenario. This discussion is about the wisdom of any potential buyer who comes along and actually offers the asking price

According to Haswell-Smith, Housay, Bruray and the nearby stacks are currently owned by Cussons Estate. "They were bought by A S Cussons (of Imperial fame) in 1967.

Is there talc in Skerries, like Unst? Possibly a reason why they may have bought it?

So no truth in the rumour that a new soap opera called Skerriesdale is to be filmed there then? Shame, the openings for The Bill/Taggart/Corrie ex-cast members would be endless. :wink:

According to Haswell-Smith, Housay, Bruray and the nearby stacks are currently owned by Cussons Estate. "They were bought by A S Cussons (of Imperial fame) in 1967.

Is there talc in Skerries, like Unst? Possibly a reason why they may have bought it?

So no truth in the rumour that a new soap opera called Skerriesdale is to be filmed there then? Shame, the openings for The Bill/Taggart/Corrie ex-cast members would be endless. :wink:

How about giving us an outline of the plot? sounds good to me. :P