Derelict Houses

Angel

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all this I am sorry I asked, my intentions were never to throw the law around... I stated laws etc. because on the matter of houses etc. I don't really know all that much and thought that someone out there might've known some stuff on it, not laws on getting it, but maybe things to help out if it did so happen that it could be bought and maybe made into a croft again. I did not go and 'peer in the windows', and my apologies for my use of incorrect words... derelict, run down, ruined, whatever you want to call it. I was asking a question so as I could maybe do some research in case there was a sensitive situation or anything like that, I am actually a good person who would not go storming around, peering in windows and making demands, the last thing I would want to do is tread on anyones toes or upset anyone. I'm sorry my post was taken in the wrong way, I could've worded it better, but really, I was just looking for some help on something that I didn't know where to start or know much about and being a Shetlander myself, I funnily enough, thought I'd go to a local forum and ask. Thank you to the people who have offered some positive advice.

It was a simple, and perfectly acceptable question. The problem was the choice of terminology and phraseology chosen to ask it, that was guaranteed to raise hackles, and it did.

It ain't what you do, its the way that you do it....

So because I wasn't sure of the right terminology and phraseology and used some general terms I was attacked? Thanks.

angel really don't worry about it. you have done nothing wrong. if you don't go looking you won't find the right place for you. it can be good fun chatting to the locals of a place that your intrested in. A decent croft comes up very rarely on the open market so unless you make some contacts you won't find out about any. so just do what your doing. AGAIN GOOD LUCK.

to those having a dig at you. neither are crofters one only moved up a few years ago and really they should be treating new folks better. the op was just asking for some advice.

angel really don't worry about it. you have done nothing wrong. if you don't go looking you won't find the right place for you. it can be good fun chatting to the locals of a place that your intrested in. A decent croft comes up very rarely on the open market so unless you make some contacts you won't find out about any. so just do what your doing. AGAIN GOOD LUCK.

to those having a dig at you. neither are crofters one only moved up a few years ago and really they should be treating new folks better. the op was just asking for some advice.

Partial response

Angel posted on this forum way before I ever did, even before I moved to Shetland, so how does 'new folk' apply?

This is a forum. Subject headings do get debated, dissected, whatever. As for the comment re 'having a dig at you', I, for one, stated that I could have misconstrued. Personally, a lot of the name calling, going off topic, etc., was aimed at Ghostrider and I. IF people didn't speed-read and were genuinely interested in assisting/debating, they may have noticed that a lot of what we posted was actually advice and relating to the topic heading and its contents. A lot of what I posted was in response to other comments asking me questions, still pertinent to the subject heading, etc.

On another thread to do with property, somebody described said property, etc., there wasn't a debate.

There will always be posters with different points of view and those who speed-read/get the wrong end of the stick. There will be those who regard it that if somebody posts a question that it isn't open for debate - perhaps a separate section on the forum which clearly stipulates NO DEBATE but simply ANSWERS ONLY would solve this?

Angel, I do genuinely wish you luck, no matter what others may think.

It was a simple, and perfectly acceptable question. The problem was the choice of terminology and phraseology chosen to ask it, that was guaranteed to raise hackles, and it did.

It ain't what you do, its the way that you do it....

So because I wasn't sure of the right terminology and phraseology and used some general terms I was attacked? Thanks.

I'm not sure where you feel you have been "attacked" at, I had no intentions of attacking anyone on here, rather to simply point out the potential negatives of your apparent proposed course of action. So if any part of the attack you preceive has been made on you originated within any of my posts, I am ignorant of it, but apologise for it, if indeed that is the case.

There is no "right" or "wrong" terminology etc, the problem as I see it with your original post is in its vagueness, which loans itself to virtually any conceivable case scenario being as likely as any other, and in the fact that certain words used, taken in the context of property matters lend themselves to insinuating certain trains of thought. In short, your query as posted left the door open to any and all possibilities, and, IMHO, the diverse range of comments stretching from one extreme of the spectrum to the other reflects that.

I have no reason to believe that you are operating with anything but honourable and the best of intentions, and hope that if you decide to pursue enquiring about acquiring unadvertised property that you receive a welcoming and favourable response. However, even with the best of intentions and no fault on your part whatsoever, you are always risking unknowingly stepping in to a viper's nest. If any one thing has generated more double-dealing, back-stabbing and general animosity throughout Shetland's population throughout history, and continues apace today, than land and property, I cannot imagine what it might be.

As a result some folk are extremely sensitive and possessive of any land and property they have, and view any approach to relieve tham of any of it as a threat, putting them on a defensive, if not offensive stance. Yes, they are a minority, but despite the denials of those who claim its all "Happy Families", they do exist. Hopefully you will never meet one of them, but if you do, withdraw immediately, politely, and as rapidly as you possibly can. Any other course of action will only antagonise and provoke.

That was my original and only point, and one I still stand by, but which has been all but lost in multiple pages of "Do!", "Do NOT!" waffle and trading low grade insults.

i agree with you there ghosty. shetlanders and landownership is a complicated and sensitive issue. you have more chance of getting money out of a yorkshire man than getting a shetlander to give up land. with this islands history its not surprising. that little bit of land could have ment the diffrence between life or death.

another less risky way is putting up notices in the local stores and possibly place like the feed merchants. speaking to the local grazing agents for each district could be a way of finding out about possible openings. however most land does get swallowed by the bigger farmers.

Agreed - there are too many posters on these forums who think they know everything about everthing, when in fact if they have nothing helpful to say should just keep quiet.

Agreed - there are too many posters on these forums who think they know everything about everthing, when in fact if they have nothing helpful to say should just keep quiet.

With all due respect, this topic/subject was posted under "Anything & Everything Else - General discussion forum. Whatever you want"; and this is not a dig at the OP. HAD the Moderators so chosen or intervened earlier and moved it to a different section, then would it have been so discussed/debated?

Please please please could a moderator lock this thread fae ony mair stupid coments :x , it's just got oot o hand, Angel, you asked a simple question, i'm sorry tae see it so oot o hand, hope you get some sense aboot da hoose you want an can get it rigged up tae be a good home for you. Noo nae mair coments, lets pit an end tae dis noo :)

....there are too many posters on these forums who think they know everything about everthing, when in fact if they have nothing helpful to say should just keep quiet.

"Helpful" can be a rather subjective term, only the OP can judge what is or isn't, given that they are the only one who knows exactly what they are referring to.