Teenagers in Shetland

peeriewife

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i think it's baith.

they should go elsewhere where der behaviour isnae gan tae effect onywan else.

but likewise, dey shud be accountable fir der behaviour, none o dis nonsense o nae thinking o ithers and jist daing der ain thing. when you are aroond ither folk, you hae a civic duty tae tak intae account the feelings and needs o ithers. da fact dat dey dinna isn't cause dey're kids/teenagers, its cause their ill mannered. dey should be thinking o ithers, and if dey canna, dey shudna be there. being a teenager is merely da age dat you are, no an excuse fir poor manners and bad behaviour, whitever da reason.

but if dey canna be considerate of ithers, den dey should be hanging aroond elsewhere

I'm in the Anderson High School at the moment and its full of Drug dealing and small rival gangs.

I don’t actually know if the teachers have realised that it's going on. There are a few students caught smoking at lunchtimes but I don't see the proper punishment. They have been talked to but that doesn’t seem to work.

One of my mates was a great guy until he went up to the high school; he was on drugs on the first week. It’s a shame to see good people turn bad withought them realising it.

I’ve seen on the streets, at the bus stop, even at the hours after school there not moving, there not letting people sit down for the bus. They don’t even go on it, its just a meeting place for them.

It is pretty annoying.

By the way, watch out for the phone at the bus stop at the street, they spit on the phone :oops:

Regards,

Dustreko.

Drugs (with the exception of Heroin etc) are pretty much a part of a teenagers life in the same way that booze can be. Just cos some kid has had a smoke doesn't mean they deserve expullsion (unless they're dealing, in which case maybe).

Has noone else ever dabbled when they were younger? If we can get out of this whole Drugs = evil = punnish cycle and maybe look to see why folk are doing them and warn them about what to avoid, then maybe there'd be less animosity between youth and authority... or maybe not.

Drugs (with the exception of Heroin etc) are pretty much a part of a teenagers life in the same way that booze can be. Just cos some kid has had a smoke doesn't mean they deserve expullsion (unless they're dealing, in which case maybe).

Has noone else ever dabbled when they were younger? If we can get out of this whole Drugs = evil = punnish cycle and maybe look to see why folk are doing them and warn them about what to avoid, then maybe there'd be less animosity between youth and authority... or maybe not.

i might be taking this wrong but i get the impression you think "smoking" is aright. cannabis is a DRUG which, funnily enough, is illegal. you're obviously not a parent, or if you are i worry about your children. how can you take the subject of drugs in a school so lightly? this is not a guideline, it is fact, they're illegal. the school needs to stop worrying about reputation, pull their fingers out of their **** and expel anybody caught involved, or at least threaten expulsion as a deterrent. it really is no wonder there is such a drug problem in shetland cause at the end of the day, nothing really happens to you. is this liberal thinking on your part due to the notion that cannibis is a "harmless" drug? if so, perhaps you should be made aware that cannibis is known to result in many mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, paranoia etc

do you use?

and if as you say drugs are part of a teenagers life, so is underage drinking, vandalism, theft and many other forms of crime. are we to simply turn a blind eye because they are teenagers, or do we punish them for the illegal acts that they are? like it or not, the law is the law.

i have not dabbled, ever and never would/will.

there is information all over the place, readily available. people do it cause they do it, there's nothing else to do - a quote used by many a teenager to excuse unreasonable/unruly behaviour. just because they do it does not mean this is grounds to condone it. and this whole notion of "Has noone else ever dabbled when they were younger?" is nonsense. with that argument you could excuse any law breaking act. afterall, plenty of people have committed theft before, so why punish someone else for doing it?

i might be taking this wrong but i get the impression you think "smoking" is aright.

I don’t see it as reprehensible as, say, starting a fight with someone, vandalism, theft etc.

cannabis is a DRUG which, funnily enough, is illegal.

Thanks for the info.

you're obviously not a parent, or if you are i worry about your children. how can you take the subject of drugs in a school so lightly?

I’m not a parent, but if I had a kid who got caught smoking hash at school I’d be more annoyed at the fact that he/she’d be so stupid as to actually do it under teacher’s noses, rather than be inclined to chastise them for “taking drugsâ€. People who can’t see the difference between a youth having a puff on an occasional joint and junkies begging on the street baffle me.

this is not a guideline, it is fact, they're illegal.

So if file sharing, copying CDs, underage smoking, underage drinking. We can’t lock them all up.

the school needs to stop worrying about reputation, pull their fingers out of their **** and expel anybody caught involved, or at least threaten expulsion as a deterrent.

If a pupil was caught dealing drugs or smoking hash in school then I’d be VERY surprised if they weren’t at least suspended. Do you have any real proof, other than hearsay and rumour, that teachers genuinely turn a blind eye to this kind of activity?

it really is no wonder there is such a drug problem in shetland cause at the end of the day, nothing really happens to you. is this liberal thinking on your part due to the notion that cannibis is a "harmless" drug? if so, perhaps you should be made aware that cannibis is known to result in many mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, paranoia etc

I have read plenty of info about cannabis. It’s not my drug of choice - I prefer beer ( a fermented vegetable based drink, which causes thousands of deaths annually in this country alone, as a result of its proven physio-psychological effects, combined with its related violence and anti-social behaviour - it isn't nice when someone talks down to you is it?)

do you use?

Not really any of your business, but actually I don’t. I have taken a few tokes in the past, but personally I found it rather boring and introspective. Still, I like to think I’m open to new experiences.

and if as you say drugs are part of a teenagers life, so is underage drinking, vandalism, theft and many other forms of crime.

Really? I took some drugs and a lot of drink during my “youth†(around 16-21) in Shetland. I never once vandalised property. I’ve never stolen anything (actually that’s not true – I stole a mars bar from Don Leslie’s once. I believe the number is 999. ) and, looking back, I had a pretty good time and didn’t hurt anybody.

are we to simply turn a blind eye because they are teenagers, or do we punish them for the illegal acts that they are? like it or not, the law is the law.

“the law is the law†is a phrase being bandied about a little to much on this forum for my liking. We, the people, decide on the laws through debate and (hopefully) through our selections at the ballet box. In my opinion the punishment should fit the crime. We live in a world where a bank manager can get 10 years for fraud, whilst a boy-racer who runs over a child and mother gets 3 years. I imagine in your capacity “as a parent†you think that’s out of order. But “the law is the lawâ€, right?

I’m curious - what happens when your kids grow up and start under-age drinking and perhaps taking soft drugs as, statistically, they’re almost certain to do? I wonder how keen you’ll be to see them punished by “the lawâ€.

i have not dabbled, ever and never would/will

I wouldn’t listen to a nuns advice about sex. I wouldn’t take let a teetotler try to lecture me on drink, having never touched it. I wouldn’t seek travel advice from someone who’s never left the island in his life. How can you expect a kid to listen to you about drugs when you’ve never so much as entertained the idea of trying them? Condemnation is easy, especially when you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

there is information all over the place, readily available. People do it cause they do it, there's nothing else to do - a quote used by many a teenager to excuse unreasonable/unruly behaviour. just because they do it does not mean this is grounds to condone it. and this whole notion of "Has noone else ever dabbled when they were younger?" is nonsense. with that argument you could excuse any law breaking act. afterall, plenty of people have committed theft before, so why punish someone else for doing it?

Strange logic. I’m talking about experimenting with soft drugs as a kid. I did it and, regardless of what people like you (who apparently prefer the comfort of a moral pedestal) think about it, it’s going to happen.

For the record, I don’t think drugs are a good thing. I’ve had some good times, sure, but anyone who uses drugs on a regular basis is probably trying to avoid facing up to something deeper than the need to have a good time. However, this knee-jerk condemnation and “lock-‘em up†attitude from narrow-minded busy bodies is, to my mind, less than helpful.

I know plenty about drugs due to losing a few of my close friends. They started on the 'soft' drugs and ended up escalating out of control. As for my kids, I would thank you not to cast aspersions on my parenting. My eldest has learning difficulties so will never have the 'joy' of freedom to do something stupid like take drugs. I unlike some have brought my children up to ask questions about life and everything else and i have taught them the realities of things like drugs. Before you say how can you do that when you have not used them, I have asked people i know who have used in the past to tell them first hand. It would be intresting to hear you stand up in front of police and state your case for soft drugs.

now i have the rant over with please read on as i do explain my feeings as i know some of you will be thinking stupid _____ lol

For the record, I don’t think drugs are a good thing. I’ve had some good times, sure, but anyone who uses drugs on a regular basis is probably trying to avoid facing up to something deeper than the need to have a good time. However, this knee-jerk condemnation and “lock-‘em up†attitude from narrow-minded busy bodies is, to my mind, less than helpful.

I do agree that locking up every single one is not going to work but the kids need to realise the dangers and they need to be aware of the penalties. It is a slippery road to go down. I am glad to see you do not think drugs are a good thing that is positive and fair enough i respect that it is your view but understand my point of view as a mother.

I’m curious - what happens when your kids grow up and start under-age drinking and perhaps taking soft drugs as, statistically, they’re almost certain to do? I wonder how keen you’ll be to see them punished by “the lawâ€.

As i have said my son wont and you have no reason to think they might. I didn't. At the end of they day they are individuals and i can not see the future no matter how handy that would be but i have faith in my kids.

I know a few of you from around lerwick and would say you are all fine folk and i can not remember any of you getting into a lot of trouble for drugs etc. So why did none of you go bad? I am coming over extremist i know but i can not see past the idea that drugs are drugs. I am sorry for that but as i said i am a mother and a very devoted one at that.

There are plenty of people out there who 'occasionally' use and 'smoke' and they are not head cases, but sometimes things do become trivial.

again sorry for rant

know plenty about drugs due to losing a few of my close friends.

I’m sorry that you lost your close friends to drugs. Why you would keep the company of the druggies you seem to dislike so much is curious, but each to their own. Personally I don’t believe there is a link between soft and hard drug use, but we can debate that until the cows come home. You seem to have a fairly simplistic view on what constitutes “drugsâ€. In my opinion, the gulf between hash and Heroin is so massive that to class them all under the umbrella term “drugs†is naïve at best.

As for my kids, I would thank you not to cast aspersions on my parenting.

I have done no such thing, It was you who said that you’d “feel sorry for my kids†if I was a parent.

My eldest has learning difficulties so will never have the 'joy' of freedom to do something stupid like take drugs.

Again, you seem to be reading something into my post that wasn’t there. Where does this ‘joy’ quote come from? As for your sons learning difficulties, that’s a shame, but really none of my business and I fail to see why you’re bringing this to the discussion,

I unlike some have brought my children up to ask questions about life and everything else and i have taught them the realities of things like drugs.

Before you say how can you do that when you have not used them, I have asked people i know who have used in the past to tell them first hand.

Yes, and your other children will ask question of their friends, who will tell them of their experiences and, like it or not, you will not be able to control their response and your children’s subsequent actions.

It would be interesting to hear you stand up in front of police and state your case for soft drugs.

Would it? Last time I checked we lived in a relatively free country. I would have no hesitation questioning the law to a policeman, providing I wasn’t actively breaking it.

Listen, peeriewife, I've got no problem with you as a person (how can I? I don't know you!) and I'm sure you're a devoted mother and all that. You need to try and not take it personally when someone disagrees with you, it's all part and parcel of internet debate. Either way, I'm away home. have a good weekend! (and stay away from the brown acid. It's real heavy, maaaaan! ) :wink:

God i'm such a soor faced wife lol. :lol:

I get so worked up not good is it.

I had good friends who fell into drugs so i then kept my distance. Better than trying to involve myself in something i don't want to be involved with.

When i used the term joy i was meaning he will always be stuck wi his mum. I think i messed that one up but nevermind, lol.

At the end of the day people live their lives the way they see fit so enjoy. as they say you only live once. You can't live it for them. Brought up the old fashioned way so unfortunatly for me i am stuck wi that way of thinking at times. I am not taking back my feelings on drugs but i will not take it personally Ally and thank you for calming me down. It is appreciated.

Decided though to stay away from threads that are gonna get blood going lol, even though i started this one :lol:

But back to the subject of the street.

Found it nicely quiet today. Hope it stays like that, for a while at least.

8)

I had good friends who fell into drugs so i then kept my distance.

Found it nicely quiet today. Hope it stays like that, for a while at least.

8)

Interesting to hear that because of other peoples experience you decided to avoid the drug culture. If nobody was taking the drugs (which would never happen) would you have been tempted to have a little 'dabble'?

As to all this behaviour with kids on the street...I am a little upset to hear about the kids that don't show common courtesy but is this not a minority? I was no angel as a teenager as any one of my friends/colleagues will tell you but I would still show common courtesy to folk.

I have never experienced bairns in the street acting in an out of order manner, then again I haven't lived in toon for a good few years so I am unlikely to. If your pram gets hit by a football, grab the football, stick a fork in it and then ram it down the throat of the perpetraitor. That should sort them :wink: .

When the conversation comes around to a lack of things for bairns to do I would have to disagree. There is loads of things for teenagers to do in Shetland but it is hampered by two things:-

1:- Loads of things to do but only if the folk want to do it

2:- They are teenagers. Hanging around being annoying is what they do.

Hopefully these same teenagers that we look on as being disruptive and 'untidy' on the street will one day be able to sort out the mess that the Council has left them with.