Charity sponsors local soccer

daveh

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is more to do with reaching out to people.

Most mental health issues go officialy undiagnosed or untreated because of the stigma that is associated with them and the fact that it is generally a hidden illness.

Sponsoring the reserves could allow the charity to reach parts of the public they don't normally and in doing so not only increase the possibility of helping someone directly with mental health issues (as they will now be aware of where they can access help) but it will also go a long way towards making peoples mental health problems part of everyday society instead of being hidden away.

For me this more than justifies spending the charities money on sponsorship.

Sponsoring the reserves could allow the charity to reach parts of the public they don't normally and in doing so not only increase the possibility of helping someone directly with mental health issues (as they will now be aware of where they can access help) but it will also go a long way towards making peoples mental health problems part of everyday society instead of being hidden away.

That sums it up perfectly :lik:

The only word I would change is 'could' in the first sentence, it should be 'will'. :wink:

^^

So, is it that you see the sponsorship as a form of advertising the charity?

I think all sponsorship is about advertising isn't it?

No, not always totally.

It obviously doesn't apply at this level but, were I as a businessman to sponsor a football club at a higher level, I would expect to receive free seats as well.

I seem to be totally outnumbered on my opinion here so I shall quietly withdraw from the thread.

If I give money to a charity, I expect it to be spent (more or less) directly on the 'object' of the charity. I would not expect it to be spent on a sponsoorship UNLESS the recipient was directly involved with the cause.

Far to much of a 'take the money and run' attitude up here to convince me that Shetland footballers really care to much about people with mental health problems.

I thinks its a wise was to get their message out to a lot of people in Shetland and may also help the stigma of mental health issues.

I was going to leave the thread but have changed my mind.

Having the league named after the charity doesn't actually get any "message" out.

Wouldn't it be better to leave some leaflets in the changing rooms on match days? That would surely give out information about the problem and where to go for help.

Similarly, Alcoholics Anonymous could leave leaflets for their organisation, perhaps.

^Who is to say they won't be handing out leaflets.

Not wanting to have a go at you daveh but I'm not sure if you know the history of the charity and why it was set up. If you did know these things I would seriously doubt you'd be questioning why they have chosen football as a means to get across to young folk.

Sponsoring a football team is reaching a demographic who are in most need of help with their mental health and are most unlikely to do something about it.

Are you suggesting that footballers are a little 'unstable' :D

I seriously hope you don't know why the charity was set up as you'd realise how completely unfunny that statement was Colin. Try and remember that some people have been affected by the issues that mind your head are trying to help with.