1. 1. Would you prefer the proposed new power station to be:

• Fuelled by gas from Sullom Voe?
    • Run on light fuel oil?
    • Neither

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original power station at Sullom only has excess power capacity because so much of the original plant has been decommissioned, and the turbines are 35 years old and have had a hard life. It's debatable whether they could be refurbished to a reliable enough standard especially as , as far as I'm aware, the original manufacturer (John Browne Engineering) no longer exists.

If they are building a new station as part of the Total development, this will be tailored to suit the needs of that development.

Edit: John Browne Engineering does still exist.

Yep, paet power is the future !

Agree! (I think you missed an "in")

I wonder how much a nuclear power station cost to build and decommission?

It is not just a case of stinging up a few wires. Where the current station is the hub of the network, a new one built miles away would then need to be the hub. This would include all the transmission to be moved, not an easy task. I guess it may be better to put a new pipe in than to dig up many more times the length to bury cables or install new o/h cables. There will also be many other considerations.

Electricity is a wonderfully flexaible thing though... Build your power station where ever you want and zap the power through high voltage cables to the distribution centre. Simples.

A collection of muckle cables would be better than a pipe full of flamable gas.

Electricity is a wonderfully flexaible thing though... Build your power station where ever you want and zap the power through high voltage cables to the distribution centre. Simples.

A collection of muckle cables would be better than a pipe full of flamable gas.

Simple in your thoughts but quite a costly thing to achieve. The pipe line may be the more cost effective method. Electricity is reasonably flexible, cables and infrastructure not as flexible.

To accommodate the new location would need the replication of the existing network, cable sizes would have to be addressed, fault currents would change, a whole new distribution hub. This would have to be in place alongside the existing network until change over. Then the existing network, over the years would need to be removed. I am sure the electricity company could manage this with their skills as an energy provider, but it would not be worth it, it would take far too long for the share holders to see a profit.

You could also bet that the more o/h cables would not look too good, and prone to more down time, unless of course you bury all the cables, that would also be at huge costs, on top of the cost of having a duplicate network.

Why would the rest of the bill payers not in Shetland want to pay for this, what would be in it for them?

Simple in your thoughts but quite a costly thing to achieve. The pipe line may be the more cost effective method. Electricity is reasonably flexible, cables and infrastructure not as flexible.

To accommodate the new location would need the replication of the existing network, cable sizes would have to be addressed, fault currents would change, a whole new distribution hub. This would have to be in place alongside the existing network until change over. Then the existing network, over the years would need to be removed. I am sure the electricity company could manage this with their skills as an energy provider, but it would not be worth it, it would take far too long for the share holders to see a profit.

You could also bet that the more o/h cables would not look too good, and prone to more down time, unless of course you bury all the cables, that would also be at huge costs, on top of the cost of having a duplicate network.

Why would the rest of the bill payers not in Shetland want to pay for this, what would be in it for them?

That is the most supercilious, ill-informed, and ignorant piece of overt nonsense I have read for a while. Last time I was here you were busy telling us how it was not feasible to bury electrical cables in Shetland. Something to do with 'ice age detritus' as I recall.

I, and I expect most other people, have no interest in reading pages of irrelevant crap that you dredge up with Google to try and 'prove' your point either so save yourself the effort.

Sudden Stop you are fairly right in your thinking. One advantage of a pipe line though is that you could have 'mains' gas supply in Brae, Voe, Nesting etc all the way down to Lerwick.

This article from the times would suggest that not only has the Sullom Voe power station got spare capacity but that it already sells it to the National grid. Also details of the station that Total are having to build as BP pulled out on a deal to provide power.

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/04/29/oil-giants-at-loggerheads-over-laggan-tormore-gas-plant-works

Nuclear would be my preferred option then you can kill 2 birds with one stone ie. no need for windfarms!

Am I correct to read this as you being opposed to windfarms in Shetland but in favour of a nuclear plant?

What argument can you have against the former that doesn't also apply to the latter?

May be you are an expert, alas, in this anonymous forum, we give opinions. Your expertise is as valid as me saying I have been involved in the organisation of the NHS PCT and its demise, or is it?

Can you then explain, with out trying to humiliate anyone, there really is no need, why or how you can just build a power station anywhere and plug it in. I have had some involvement with the talk of additional power stations in the region I live, even with the existing lines, there was a great deal of talk about many additional lines to take the additional capacity. The last communication was that with some relief, because of the cut backs, some of the stations are now on hold.

I cannot see how you can link up a HV network, without re-routing the primary transmission network to that station. The HV network will only be 6.6kv or 11kv, the higher the voltage, the cheaper the transmission costs.

I do remember last time, you did not "google" either, but just told us you knew better. I do remember also telling you I did not "google" as you described.

I doubt you are a teacher, I am sure however you could explain yourself as I try. May be it is just me.

Nuclear would be my preferred option then you can kill 2 birds with one stone ie. no need for windfarms!

Am I correct to read this as you being opposed to windfarms in Shetland but in favour of a nuclear plant?

What argument can you have against the former that doesn't also apply to the latter?

Thankfully you are incorrect, I'm neither for nor against the windfarms. IMO the reason why the majority of people are against the idea is too do with looks and the irrepaerable damage it will cost to the land and nature in the affected areas.

That said surely a nuclear plant would in scale be much less detremental to the eye than x amount of turbines etc. ...........saying that too I also am aware of the pitfalls of nuclear energy but at the end of the day we need something to run the kettle and toaster!

Do you have any bright ideas or is that it from you! (said with a smiley face)! :D

I cannot see how you can link up a HV network, without re-routing the primary transmission network to that station. The HV network will only be 6.6kv or 11kv, the higher the voltage, the cheaper the transmission costs.

If you look harder, you will find the Setland Main Grid is run at 33 kV.

Numeruos sub loops and spurs at 11 kV.

Lerwick generation station pushes about 40 MW into the grid.

Burradale 4 MW

Sullom Voe 10 MW

Jims peerie windy ?

I would be surprised if there was not a future connection to Kergord that would be able to carry the whole Shetland load. There is also the possibility of likes of Sullom Voe and new 'Lerwick' station, if on gas, being able to export via the Interconnector on non-windy days.

I would not get hopes up too high about gas being available in Brae, Voe or other places. The stuff that is going to be passing through Sullom Voe will only be processed suitable for public use once it gets to St Fergus. What I would image is that first phase decrapping process will produce a lot of rubbish, suitable for industrial grade burners.

Perhaps I should have included secondary or distribution.

I am aware of the 33kv primary. It is a little less than the 132kV airblast CBs I used to work on, as well as the 6.6/11kv OCBs. Do all the 33kv cables have the same CSA? I know we used to have connection issues when we wanted to isolate OCBs or TCs for maintenance. There were some distribution networks you could not link without additional cabling. That is, linking through from another distribution network. Some of the assets were not man enough.

Thankfully you are incorrect, I'm neither for nor against the windfarms. IMO the reason why the majority of people are against the idea is too do with looks and the irrepaerable damage it will cost to the land and nature in the affected areas.

That said surely a nuclear plant would in scale be much less detremental to the eye than x amount of turbines etc. ...........saying that too I also am aware of the pitfalls of nuclear energy but at the end of the day we need something to run the kettle and toaster!

Do you have any bright ideas or is that it from you! (said with a smiley face)! :D

I'm in full support of wind farms and, when technology makes it worthwhile, tidal power. Our wonderful Shetland weather is our best resource for the future and I think it's very short-termist to decry the changes wind farms bring to landscapes.