P&0 175th anniversary

suuusssiiieee

July 3rd sees the 175th anniversary of the founding of P&0 lines.

To mark this all 7 liners in the current P&O fleet will be meeting in Southampton on this date.

Founded by Brodie McGhie Wilcox and Arthur Anderson in 1837 this company from humble beginnings became a major power on the maritime scene.

Since Arthur Anderson was a native Shetlander i hope there is something planned locally to celebrate this milestone, at the very least the P&O flag should be flown from the town hall for the day or at the Bod at Gremista..any thoughts on this?

Was there anything in 1987 for the 150th? I can't recall there being, but maybe that's my memory that's at fault.

Certainly it would seem appropriate for the Gremista Bod and the Museum to put on some sort of showcase to capitalise on the event, but I can't say I've come across any adverts for anything.

It's a pity if they don't, Anderson is one of Shetland's long-running "good news" stories, yet seems to be largely ignored.

The böd at Gremista used to be a splendid commemoration of Arthur Anderson and P&O but sadly the arty farty textile brigade have taken it over and ruined it.

I knew the old custodian from there and he was heartbroken at both the way he was basically turffed out and what the textile people have done to it.

I don't even see a P&O flag flying there anymore which says it all......:(

On a side note, I would encourage folk to use the proper/recognised spelling of böd. Even that bastion(not) of Shetland heritage visitscotland can't be bothered to spell it right(see sign opposite LK power station).

I mind seeing a programme on tv for the 150th anniversary of P & O narrated by Ludovic Kennedy that had a bit about Arthur Anderson Shetland origins. The bit I mind is him speaking about the "bod" of Gremista.

For you nostalgia freaks here are a couple of pages of photos the north boats.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NorthCo.html

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NorthCo2.html

Ghostrider:- I can't even myself remember if anything was done in 1987, but given P&O were on the North run surely they must have done something?? Anyone know for sure?

Regardless whether or not it was marked in 87 it should be marked locally next week, but don't you get the feeling it won't?

Kavi:- I wholeheartedly agree with you in regard to what has happened at the museum at Gremista, absolute disgrace how it has been crushed by the toff mob on this island.

The custodian who has put so much of his own time and effort into the place frankly deserves far better than what he has received back.

I remember a postcard that was made to commemorate the 150 years which had a ship in each corner with "150 Years" in the middle.

The Gremista böd should be restored to what it was with IMMEDIATE effect but sadly there seems to be no stopping these arty people.

They covered the anchor there in knitwear as some "art statement" for pity's sake..... :evil:

Apparently the Shetland Museum have a lot to do with what happened at the böd.

I remember a postcard that was made to commemorate the 150 years which had a ship in each corner with "150 Years" in the middle.

If you scroll down this page you will see it

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NorthCo2.html

love that link of the old boats, they dont say when or where they got scraped,

such a shame NorthLink ignored decads of tradition and dropped the saints names, perhaps the new ones will change the names of the boats??

Changed days from when that picture was taken, god the ferries don't even go through Mousa sound any more, (why?) left to the cruise liners only to enjoy, shame that as i loved sliding past da broch on a bonny night.... :cry:

As predicted no P&O flags were seen around..unless anyone knows differently?