Dumping Litter at Roadside Verges

stilldellin

Seems to be ever on the increase, education of some just simply does not work. Several packages of untouched food dumped along the Lighthouse road this past week when half the world is starving. Happening any where else in Shetland and is it on the increase ? :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/litter1.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/litter2.jpg

Yon's very odd indeed. If it was full of bruck etc then yes, it would sadly probably have been whapped oot but the fact it looks untouched suggests it has been accidentally left.

It's so dis-heartening though. I came through the Black Gaet a week or so ago and I couldna believe the mess of bottles etc lying in the ditches that had obviously come after the Voar Redd Up.

It's pretty shameful considering the time and effort that the thousands of folk(and bairns) give towards it.

It would be better if it was stopped but perhaps cleaning the roadsides, ditchs and verges could be used as work for the Community Service system?.

You should see the ditch across the road from the skip in the middle off a housing scheme in Bressay its littered with old plastic and paper but the community council seem to think there's no prob with it..I'm glad i don't live in the area.. :roll:

Did you leave them or report?

Litter is a big problem all over. Something I have noticed is if you see a driver smoking in their car, I can bet you their ashtray is clean.

There have been "Tosser" campaigns before, another one has started in Leyland.

With the cutting back of services, the community may have to sort it out them selves, unless it is dangerous. Folk may have to start taking responsibility, report those who litter. It is what the authorities want now.

Odd, do you think it was people on a bus trip?

I would say at least a minibus as plenty other used packaging besides what you see here. Looked like home made rolls as all packed in cling film but no labels except for Tesco sandwiches which were dated 25th. I first saw it on 27th scattered all over, went back on 28th with a black bag and found some kind soul had gathered it all into three separate bags and left by the roadside, presumably been someone on foot.