Viking Statue

mcconnachie

Liked the HOLLYWOOD sign. More likely to see that than petrol at 83.9 pence!

I'd like to see something fun that'd be a landmark. Something that would give Shetland a worldwide image.

There was a time when there was no Eiffel tower and no Sydney Harbour Bridge. Even Oban has a folly.

It'd be cool.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see a statue of Peerie Willie sitting on one of the benches at the small boat harbour playing his guitar.

I like this idea, a series of statues of the folk who have been part of Shetland history throughout, it does not always have to be famous.

In Leyland, the main gates to the Leyland Truck factory was on the High Street (Hough Lane), there has been a picture taken in its heyday of workers leaving after work. There was an image of one guy, flat cap and pipe. They replicated this in the same spot with a statue of him. Who he is? We don't know. Sadly, someone stole his pipe, maybe a good thing when we fully know the risks.

I'm bored of the Mareel negativity.

Some people are willing it to fail. Very sad.

Yeah those are the kind of folk that like to sit back and do sod all with their lives but say I told you so.

I don't reckon Shetland really does need a big statue outside Lerwick particularly if it was one of a viking would be a bit cheesy imo and would make Lerwick look like something out of the lord of the rings (well more than it already does)

As a Swiss guy aka tourist, I would not be particularly attraced by a giant viking statue, or any other kind of statue that is. What makes Shetland unique is the remoteness and beautful natural scenery. The cliffs and sounds do not need any human tinkering to "pimp" them, at least IMHO. Maybe some cruiseship passengers might see things differently though...

I don't reckon Shetland really does need a big statue outside Lerwick particularly if it was one of a viking would be a bit cheesy imo and would make Lerwick look like something out of the lord of the rings

...and what is not to like about that? :)

I'd rather go to Mordor for a night out and I hear the pints are cheaper ;)

Does anybody ken if yon life-size killer whale that was made by a salmon company is ever used?.

I ken it probably cost a lot of money but if it hasn't been a success as intended(as a seal deterent)I would love to see it donated as an exhibit at Sumburgh Head.

I think the mould still exists so maybe the Shetland Amenity Trust could get one made?.