Young people asked for their views on future of the isles

Tammychoink

Colin, for god's sake. I asked you a very simple question re: the duplication of facilities

Do you really think reopening Freefeild to duplicate the facilities available less than half a mile away at Islesburgh is good use of public money?

which you didn't answer and instead asked me a cost/value question about an organisation you "have never been aware of" based in financial information that you don't even know

Do YOU think that a 'talking shop' (Shetland Youth Voice), who do not produce anything tangible, has a superior claim to the money (from our Council Tax etc.) that should have been spent on facilities that were already well established (and well used) is a good use of public money?

I asked you to provide us with financial info on "the money", which you haven't, and are now complaining that I'm "unwilling to answer". Jeez-o man.

Edited by Davie P

Well Davie P,  I have rough information on what the Freefield Centre, Public Toilets and the Viking Bus Station cost to run as it is in in the public domain but, as of yet, I have no information on what the wages etc. of the Shetland Youth employees cost and, to the best of my knowledge, no one has yet published them.

Given the above, how do you expect me to get involved in a comparison of costs (WHICH I NEVER MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE) when I don't have the relevant information?

Furthermore, you seem to have centered your argument around the Freefield Centre when, if you can be bothered to read my post properly, I mentioned (by way of example) other publicly funded places that have been closed as well.

All I did was to suggest that the money could have been better spent maintaining the services us tax payers pay for and enjoy(?) and not on protecting the jobs of people who have little or no worth to the wider community.

At the age of 60 I am beginning to realise that I may not see the conclusion of events that are set in motion now. However the youth of today have a lifetime ahead of them to get involved and shape the world they want to see.

I see that Shetland Youth Voice have a Facebook page that you can post comments on. Maybe they can answer some of the questions posed here.

https://www.facebook.com/shetlandyouthvoice

Colin, Shetland Youth Voice is predominantly voluntary. Young people stand to represent their area, as a councillor might, but they're not paid anything. There will be some level of support from within the council, but mostly administrative and for advertising whenever elections come around - I highly doubt there is any paid job solely relating to the organisation.