Shetland history

fionajohn

Shetland was pledged by Denmark to Scotland by marriage but the pledge was never paid so in the passage of time can Denmark recall the debt and claim Shetland as part of their territory .could be a very nice earner as the most oil fields are in near proximity to Shetland considering sea areas and  the designated distance laid down for that area 

The Danish were apparently still trying for us around 1750, and some late 19th C. historians were liking the idea. Granted it was during the "we're all hardy Norsemen" revival period, but that doesn't make it entirely silly in and of itself though.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-352-1/dissemination/pdf/vol_021/21_236_251.pdf

I have no time for Calamity's attitude, escapades and stunts, but I will credit him with one thing. Asking where the proof is Shetland became a bona fide and fully integrated portion of Scotland, and when, unless by a series of fudges, being pushed aside because of "bigger fish to fry", and being fobbed off or ignored.

Possession may be 9/10 of the law, but Scotland's possession of Shetland seems to rely on sleights of hand, dodgy deals, and bully boy tactics more than anything else the more you dig.

the more we dig the more wormes may creep out of the woodwork capt cal has his prospective on it but i have the future of my family and their ability to live in comfort and peace the norse kingdom were not viking pirates as some would think but people forced to survive in the warring climate of the time most were farmers and fishermen 

There seems to be the fledgling idea of a Nordic Bloc being establsihed.

There's a Facebook page in Iceland with almost 4000 signatures(so far) calling for Iceland to join Norway and the Faroese are warm to the idea too.

The Norwegian media has carried several articles over the past few months about both the implications for Shetland in the Scottish referendum and the wider Nordic/Scandinavian empire.

I think it is high time our own political leaders started showing some guts and initiative and started opening talks with our Nordic neighbours.

As I've said before, the OIOF campaign has been a total and utter flop.

If Scotland can have an historic referendum on Independance then I see no reason why Shetland can't have an equal referendum to decide where our future lies. 

Edited by Kavi Ugl

On the other hand, if you believe the calculation in the linked article that the 58,000 Florins Orkney & Shetland was pawned for was worth £24,000 circa 1880, the current value is only £560,000.

I'm sure between us and Orkney we could scrape together that much and redeem ourselves from Scotland on behalf of the Kings of Norway.

On the other hand, if you believe the calculation in the linked article that the 58,000 Florins Orkney & Shetland was pawned for was worth £24,000 circa 1880, the current value is only £560,000.

I'm sure between us and Orkney we could scrape together that much and redeem ourselves from Scotland on behalf of the Kings of Norway.

Righteo, who gonna complete the application form for the SCT grant then?  A snip compared to VE.

but the Western Isles have nothing in common with us

Unless of course, their Norse heritage, their Norse placenemes and a language smattered with norse words.

Which they choose to ignore.

Unlike Caithness (which was part of the original deal with Shetland and Orkney), where virtually all the place names are Norse and yet they find themselves being increasingly targetted by the Gaelic McNazis who wish to tartanise the whole of Scotchland.

Got a placename that's Norse? Let's ignore that major part of the areas' history and put a Gaelic translation on the sign......

Edited by Scorrie