Air Discount Scheme

Mario

Is anyone else finding this to possibly be the worst scheme in the world?

I hardly ever get the damn thing to work. At the moment, on the BA site, I login and get an empty screen without the chance to book the discounted fares. It's either that or there is an error logging in.

Anyone else think this is almost a waste of time as the savings made are fairly minimal?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think this is almost a waste of time as the savings made are fairly minimal?

I've no tried it yet, but have to ask, how do you regard minimal? Like how many "pensioner meals" do you save, to use an emotive measure. A tenner buys a lot to those with minimal disposable income. And besides, a bargain is a bargain! :wink:

I've no tried it yet, but have to ask, how do you regard minimal? Like how many "pensioner meals" do you save, to use an emotive measure. A tenner buys a lot to those with minimal disposable income. And besides, a bargain is a bargain! :wink:

:lol:

Seriously, it's rubbish. I have tried to use it 4 times. 3 times I haven't even been able to get onto the BA site. Also, the fares are still ridiculous, I paid £227 for a return flight to Edinburgh recently. Sorry, for me, that's not a good price. It just seems that now the prices have been hiked up and I'm not 100% sure you're making that 40% fare saving that you should.

Either way, the scheme seems a bit of a joke. People are getting sent multiple cards, some not sent any. Support for it is a joke. I remember I sent an e-mail to them and I got the e-mail sent back to me as the e-mail address did not exist :?

I hope I'm not the only person having these problems..

Site works fine enough. Prices a lot better than before. I had a quote of £105 for a return flight to Edinburgh. You must have just booked too near to your departure date.

It really doesn't - I've phoned them up today and they admit their is a problem with their site. There has been for over 2 days now. So now I must phone loganair and incur a booking charge! Excellent! Get in!

I'm not saying you can't get really cheap fares, it is possible. However, increasingly unlikely. Please note that since ADS was introduced, flights to Aberdeen are now cheapest at night outbound and early morning inbound. (Around £64) Coincidence, I doubt it - As it would be near impossible to be able to travel anywhere away from Aberdeen that late, or get back to Aberdeen that early without having to think to book accomodation for both nights. Edinburgh I admit seems more favourable at the moment i must admit.

Also, here's another thing. My flight was £227 but I wonder why? Yes I booked it late, but the flight was nearly empty. Also, the inbound fare was 3 times that of the outbound, even though it was not a weekend flights.

I really just think that in Shetland, we really are getting had in terms of travelling across off the island. It costs a fortune, unless you book passage on the boat, which resorts in sleeping in the bar. Hardly a decent way to travel in this day in age. Maybe I'm just bitter because I'm about to go away for the 3rd time within 2 months and am getting quite pissed off of selling an organ everytime I have to head south.

I fly between Shetland and Aberdeen at least once a month. No problems encountered with the website. I probably only save (well my work saves) about £20 per flight through the ADS.

What I have noticed though, is that the flights are a lot lot busier than a year ago. You definitely need to book way in advance if you want to secure the cheapest fares. My return fares are about £106 now as I've rarely managed to get the cheapest, which should be around £80 inclusive of taxes.

It's something for nothing though, so I'm not going to knock it.

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

moving to Shetland soon and am trying to get a sense of cost of living/ travel etc. Am I right in assuming that a return flight to London from Sumburgh would be around £320?

Anyone know how much London return flights are with the islanders discount?

Also, been trying to work out ferry prices with island discount - again, am I right assuming it works out at about £30 return for most of the year?

I know some ppl that have got flights to London for around £140 return.. but they booked well in advance.. and it the sort of deal you lose your money if you change times or any such thing. Full fair is abotu £320 which give you a bit more flexability if your there is a chacne you ma need to change flights. the prices are pretty similar if your needign to fly to Aberdeen, Glasgow or Edinburgh. but again if booked early enough you can get flights for about £90 to £110.

the boat is around £30 return if you just take a seat ( recliner ) which is ok if you know the tricks of the trade.

I think the cheapest you can get a bunk ( bed ) for is £120. usually though by the time you take your meal and entertainment for the 12 hour ferry your worth paying the little bit extra to fly to Aberdeen, Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Hi folks,

moving to Shetland soon and am trying to get a sense of cost of living/ travel etc. Am I right in assuming that a return flight to London from Sumburgh would be around £320?

Also, been trying to work out ferry prices with island discount - again, am I right assuming it works out at about £30 return for most of the year?

Ah yes!.......the air discount scheme. Only available as I understand it on flights from island airports to the Scottish mainland. Not available on through tickets such as Shetland--London. Of course it is possible to buy one ticket to the mainland and another from the mainland airport to London........BUT. Airlines can and sometimes do regard each flight as being a separate "contract" so that if, for example, you arrive at Aberdeen after the connecting flight has closed then the airline is able to regard you as a "no show" meaning they have no duty to fly you onwards to London. And indeed as I understand airline ticketing rules they have no duty to bring you back from London to Aberdeen if you were a "no show" London bound.

Ah yes!.......the air discount scheme. Only available as I understand it on flights from island airports to the Scottish mainland. Not available on through tickets such as Shetland--London. Of course it is possible to buy one ticket to the mainland and another from the mainland airport to London........BUT. Airlines can and sometimes do regard each flight as being a separate "contract" so that if, for example, you arrive at Aberdeen after the connecting flight has closed then the airline is able to regard you as a "no show" meaning they have no duty to fly you onwards to London. And indeed as I understand airline ticketing rules they have no duty to bring you back from London to Aberdeen if you were a "no show" London bound.

Hmm! Sounds expensive. I read something recently in a Sunday paper about the Scottish parliament looking to reduce certain costs on distant islands so that there was more 'equality' between the islands and the mainland. Petrol costs and further reductions in travel were both highlighted - but, hey, Scottish parliament, perhaps we shouldn't hold our breath!!

Hi folks,

Just to clear up any confusion.

The discount is calculated on the Shetland to mainland fare, and can be done on through fares also.

Try booking with Leask's they do this all the time. :D

theseatthesea0 wrote

Hmm! Sounds expensive. I read something recently in a Sunday paper about the Scottish parliament looking to reduce certain costs on distant islands so that there was more 'equality' between the islands and the mainland. Petrol costs and further reductions in travel were both highlighted - but, hey, Scottish parliament, perhaps we shouldn't hold our breath!!

The air discount scheme is intended to reduce flight costs for island residents but only on flights to designated Scottish airports....Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. That is progress as early on the scheme was only going to apply to flights to Highland airports.....Inverness and perhaps Wick. The discount is 40% of the "fare" element of a ticket.......not off the whole cost including taxes and supplements. But we get nothing off a through ticket from, for example, Shetland to London.

The air discount scheme is intended to reduce flight costs for island residents but only on flights to designated Scottish airports....Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. That is progress as early on the scheme was only going to apply to flights to Highland airports.....Inverness and perhaps Wick. The discount is 40% of the "fare" element of a ticket.......not off the whole cost including taxes and supplements. But we get nothing off a through ticket from, for example, Shetland to London.

However on a through ticket you can still get the discount on the Shetland to Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc.. and if you cant you're doing something wrong.

It can be done I know as I used to work in a travel agents.