Best pub in Lerwick?

rebel21

Best place to go for a pint in Lerwick?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Best place to go for a pint in Lerwick?

• Marlex
    • Flints
    • Legion
    • Da Noost
    • Lounge
    • Baroc
    • Thule
    • Mooney's Wake
    • Other

I haven't been to Posers in a very long time (probably only 3 times in 11 years?), but the last time I was there there was a row of 5 incredibly young boys sniffing poppers, there were old men lurking in the corners, observing, and the dance floor was filled with um, scantily clad women wearing very unflattering clothing. The floor was sticky and the bar area was heaving with folk. Not my idea of a good time, at all.

You're right, ShetlandPeat, Lerwick could use a good jazz venue. :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your mum worked there and never saw a fight? Well, I suppose it's hard to see anything when the bar is 10 deep ;) What can I say? Maybe it's just the nights I've been... Besides, I suppose it's not really the fault of Posers if there is a scrap. If you like the place then fair play, maybe you're just having a better time than the rest of us - can't fault you for that.

Your mum worked there and never saw a fight? Well, I suppose it's hard to see anything when the bar is 10 deep ;) What can I say? Maybe it's just the nights I've been... Besides, I suppose it's not really the fault of Posers if there is a scrap. If you like the place then fair play, maybe you're just having a better time than the rest of us - can't fault you for that.

No she never saw a fight! Mind you that was like over 10 years ago! Us young eens these days are full of rage!

Maybe I do have a better time than the rest o ya considering I go out once in a blue moon....ok and every friday im not working....but thats only to go watch the darts.....so thats not really out....oh and a thursday for the pool....but again thats not really 'out'

^^ Don't write off all us older eens as being docile, along with the shortened attention span and short term memory retention that accompanies the advancing years, there's also the rapid lowering of patience and tolerance levels. :twisted:

Once you cross 40 it seem to become a good idea to bite first, and bark later. :lol:

Admittedly its a few years since I've set foot in any of them but at that time (with a few exceptions) the pub scene in Lerwick was dire. That may or may not have changed since although the impression I get is the latter.

Surely to god there must be sufficient imagination and entrepreneuial spirit out there to provide something a bit different to rival the current offering. Someplace that offers a combination of decent music, attractive surroundings, good locally sourced pub food and in an attractively or imaginitively restored and sited building - all hopefully appealing to a wider demographic - would be a good start.

• 3 weeks later...

Been reading this and felt I hed tae git me oar in. I've been away fae Shetland fur a lok o'years noo and I can mind da pubs we used to frequent.

The Grand--Jerry Pottinger & Stephen Leask (Groggy)

The Lounge--Stanley Swanson.

The Thule--Les Allen.

The Excelsior--Pottsy & Joker Watt

The Marlex--May & Gibby.

These were great pubs. Now when I visit I very rarely get past the Masonic Club as it's the only place where I might find someone I recognise! :(

• 2 weeks later...

^^ a bit o a sweepin statement...

In my opinion on the whole the pubs in Shetland are pretty good. You see a lot more dodgy pubs south that you just wouldn't go in.

I can see though why older people might not be too keen on the Lerwick pubs at the weekend, crowded with inebriated younger folk, but im sure there are some that are a lot quieter than others at the weekends?

^^sweeping statement or not there isn't one decent pub in Lerwick which is supposed to be the main town in Shetland to greet visitors and entertain residents alike. Not one quality pub except the Mid Brae Inn on the whole island.

I take in the statement about some pubs south you wouldn't even go in but at least there is a choice of good pubs all around the bad ones up here all there is is bad.

I used to enjoy going for a drink nearly every night when I worked in other places and even when I got married I still enjoyed going out every other weekend but up here there is no where to go, so I don't really drink anymore maybe thats the plan, turd pubs, stop people drinking, but I think not!

Well outside lerwick I dont see whats wrong with pubs like the hilltop in yell, the oot ower lounge in whalsay and the pierhead in voe??

What is your problem in particular with the Shetland pubs? Is it other customers? atmosphere? physical condition?

Yell and Whalsay, while they are Islands, are part of Shetland yes...

To slate all the pubs in Shetland just because of the ones in Lerwick is a bit unfair.

I see your point about the physical condition, a lot of them could do with being done up. However I do not believe a pubs main attraction is its decor, I think the atmosphere is much more important and on the whole is usually pretty good in Shetland.