No Defence of the Football Crown

markj

Wheesht, you've just perfectly illustrated the problem with Shetland football and the people who are taking the important decisions.

"There not goin, get ovet it."

Although the spelling is a little off it really does speak volumes. How long will it take to 'get over' the fact that the Shetland team is not going to be competing in Rhodes. I think that will become very clear by the time the 2009 Aland Island Games comes around.

It's a pity for John Johnson who, if still Shetland manager, will have to go to Aland with an inexperienced side who have only played Orkney or perhaps played a few teams within spitting distance of where the North boat docks in Aberdeen. That's assuming the team do go to Aland?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheesht, you've just perfectly illustrated the problem with Shetland football and the people who are taking the important decisions.

"There not goin, get ovet it."

Although the spelling is a little off it really does speak volumes. How long will it take to 'get over' the fact that the Shetland team is not going to be competing in Rhodes. I think that will become very clear by the time the 2009 Aland Island Games comes around.

It's a pity for John Johnson who, if still Shetland manager, will have to go to Aland with an inexperienced side who have only played Orkney or perhaps played a few teams within spitting distance of where the North boat docks in Aberdeen. That's assuming the team do go to Aland?

Oh so sorry if you, the spelling police, were offended at my last error ridden post. And that you think I make any decisions flatters me indeed. Thank you.

This is not the first time the local football Association will not be sending a team to the games and yes, it probably won’t be the last. They didn’t send a team to Gibraltar because of a combination of the heat and the playing surfaces and for example, would we go and play in Bermuda? I don’t know but I would imagine in that case the cost may be prohibitive.

You state that we “will have to go to Aland with an inexperienced sideâ€, what is the difference then between that and Rhodes then?

You ask how long it will take to get over not sending a team to this competition. That will be up to the new manager and the appetites of the established players and those who will be asked to come along and train and fill the boots of those who have left. John Johnson has stated that he is looking to fill the gap this next summer with meaningful fixtures, and I know the SFA have been asked to enter a UEFA regions cup, the same reason why the IOM are not going to Rhodes incidentally.

There are many competitions around the UK that could be looked at and why not host a competition up here next summer? The “Shetland Cup†was mooted before and with the correct packages in place it could be a success.

All I have said all along is that the people who have made the decision, no not me, have I am sure looked at all the facts, information and figures and taken a decision based on all of those bits of the jigsaw.

Tell you what plaguestorm and nobbystiles, you PM me and I will gladly turn up at the AGM in November and propose you both for the committee, as I have said they will be absolutely delighted to take you on board to help out with, not just these tricky decisions but the running of football in Shetland. I’m not holding my breath on that.

I would say that probably a few of the current side couldn't make the Rhodes Games because of the cost, or the time required to be taken off work, or they had 'retired' from Intercounty football. The heat in Rhodes was never really a consideration for them personally choosing not to go.

The new manager is now left with a situation where he has a seriously weakened squad if they decide to go to Rhodes. It wouldn't look too good for the new manager if the defending champions were soundly beaten in every game, which more than likely would happen. It also wouldn't look too good if the reason given for not going was that 'we will have a weakened squad and have no chance of winning'.

:lol: :lol: It must have been a Godsend to the new manager that they were advised not to go on medical grounds.

:lol: :lol:

I couldn't agree more Frankie about the 'medical grounds'. Must be a Godsend because it means there is no need to go away and look bad.

Thanks for the reply Wheesht. No offence taken by the spelling mistakes, just a bit of fun but you seem to be taking this all with a smile so let's continue.

My point about going to Aland with a weakened side was maybe not explained fully. If the Shetland team goes to Rhodes then it's already common knowledge what senior players would not be available. Unlike the players who retired from the 2005 team the players not going to Rhodes will still be available for the county and a few years to come. Why not take younger players away to Rhodes and give them experience of an Island Games? Everybody knows that the team will struggle to get results and it will definately be the hardest footballing conditions any of the boys will have played in before. The new manager could publicly state that it's a rebuilding process and any positive results would be a huge bonus. Let's face it, nobody expects another Gold Medal. When the Aland Games come around then there might be a few more retirements but they can be replaced by players who have had some experience. Whatever happens the Rhodes Games will be difficult but it can be used in such a useful way. I'm sure many of the players who had been at Island Games prior to the Shetland Games would hold their previos experiences as invaluable.

Basically write off Rhodes as a chance to introduce new players and build for Aland.

As for a Shetland Cup, don't you think that just proves the Guernsey Managers point?? How much will playing a tournament on home soil benefit new players?? What chance do new players have if the games are at home, all the players who can't go to Rhodes will be back in the team?? What looks better for the new manager, getting beaten in Rhodes and not following Bristows example or leading out his strongest possible team in Shetland in a home tournament?? I wonder.

Let's keep thinking about the bigger picture here people.

I think it's a damned cheek. How many people in Shetland were moaning when teams said they couldn't make it up here for the games because it was too expensive! Moneys the real issue here, nothing to do with the heat. The Greek authorities have already said the games will be played at the coolest times of day with temps less than 24 degrees. That's a normal summers day in Ednburgh or Glasgow

Does anybody know what was said about this at the SFA AGM last night?

I hear the arguments about heat, cost, player availability etc, but having played in several Island Games tournaments, I can't help thinking that it's a great shame Shetland aren't going. I can see the sense in what plaguestorm's saying - perhaps we're missing a chance to blood some young players (in the knowledge that we will take some beatings along the way).

Some serious forward planning will be needed to ensure that the SFA is moving football ahead so that we can make a mark again when the 2009 Aaland Games come round.