Cricket

Heimdal

• 2 months later...

Shetlinkers awake!

Scotland v. Australia in the World Cup, today (Mar 14), 1 p.m. onwards on R4 LW or R5 Live Sports Extra.

Dunno why cricket's not more popular north of England, but this Saxon will be rootin' for Scotland - a six off every ball received, guys, and a wicket with every ball bowled!

Won't be easy, though, agin' the best in the world. Good Luck!

Dunno why cricket's not more popular north of England
Because it's dull? :wink:

It might be OK to watch whilst sitting around quaffing beer on a nice day I s'pose.

I'd rather just quaff the beer though, and we don't get many nice days

...and all the teams wear the same strip? How do they know who is what team?

And another thing, that boat race, how come the same two teams get to the final every year?

Dunno why cricket's not more popular north of England
Because it's dull? :wink:

Dull? Come on, man, cricket in its most highly developed form can keep one match going for five days! That's not dull, that's a way of life!

Take your point about the quaffing, though. Quaff enough and you won't notice the five days passing by ... :wink:

Yes, the Bob Woolmer business is very worrying. Cricket used to be a civilised game, not at all the sort of thing people would strangle you over.

I asked above why the game's not more popular in Scotland. Well.

To lose against Australia is nothing. Everyone does that.

To lose against South Africa is no great disgrace. They were probably paid to win it (remember Hansie Cronje?)

But to lose against the Netherlands (or Ned, as the BBC scoreboard calls them)? Oh, dear, oh, dear. I think my question is answered. :)

Ireland are surprising us all though, which is nice to see. The "minnows" can still win on a good day.

• 4 weeks later...