Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Gosh you really do not know what Tesco is like! Somerfield is one of the cheapest supermarkets if you really do your research, buy in Somerfield and then buy the same in ASDA ('the lowest price supermarket') and you will find Somerfield is around £5 cheaper always, not on individual prices but on the overall shop. Tesco is even worse! Something that is maybe £3 in Somerfield is around £5 in Tesco and yes they do shut down the local shops.

On the mainland there is a nice village called Huntly it has a Somerfield and many local shops such as Cost Cutter, nickel and dime, three butchers etc. ASDA and Tesco have recently opened now 2 butchers have gone and the other is open only once a week. Cost Cutter is closing down and nickel and dime is struggling. ASDA and Tesco were not allowed to sell electrical good because there is a shop in the centre of Huntly that sells electrical but they went ahead. No one has control over them.

Guest Anonymous

On the mainland there is a nice village called Huntly it has a Somerfield and many local shops such as Cost Cutter, nickel and dime, three butchers etc. ASDA and Tesco have recently opened now 2 butchers have gone and the other is open only once a week. Cost Cutter is closing down and nickel and dime is struggling. ASDA and Tesco were not allowed to sell electrical good because there is a shop in the centre of Huntly that sells electrical but they went ahead. No one has control over them.

I've been to Huntly many times, and absolutely loved the place.

Very sad to hear that it has suffered at the hands of Tesco and Asda.

But there's no doubt that those stores only opened there because the public wanted them, the same way as Lerwick wants Tesco.

The lure of supposedly cheaper prices, to a shopper, is like a drug to an addict.

An addict will always try for a better fix, a bigger high,,, the trip of a lifetime.

Until they get the hit which kills them.

R.I.P. Lerwick.

:cry:

Competition can be on more than price. I have tended to shop at Safeway/Morrnison/Somerfield because the deli offered three types of my favourite cheese that the Co-op did not. I shopped at the Globe butcher for quality and at my nearest local shops for convenience. If Tesco offer a better selection than the Co-op I will shop there........cheese matters!.

And no I am not wealthy but I am willing and able to pay a little more to get what I want.

Guest ShetlandBlue

Do we need/want a Tesco? You ain't kidding...

Just been to Co-op, 3 tills open, huge queues, usual happy smiling first class customer service and my favourite crisps buy one get one free.

Got home with 2 packets of crisps and oh surprise surprise I paid for them both....................enough said.

Roll on Tesco, it may give all the other retailers the kick up the backside they need.

Somerfield is one of the cheapest supermarkets if you really do your research, buy in Somerfield and then buy the same in ASDA ('the lowest price supermarket') and you will find Somerfield is around £5 cheaper always, not on individual prices but on the overall shop.

In case you had not realised, we don't have an ASDA. Tesco coming is great and will not only improve the competition from Co-Op but will give us a wider choice of goods.

Guest posiedon

Foords_Chocolates

In case you had not realised, we don't have an ASDA. Tesco coming is great and will not only improve the competition from Co-Op but will give us a wider choice of goods.

I think you're in for a disappointment!

I lived in England for my first 49 years, and have seen Tesco destroy town after town with their unethical (illegal?) practices) (google Tesco) and be horrified by what you find.

As for "wider choice of goods" What do you mean by that? Fruit that we can't already get? Some vegetables previously unknown in Shetland? or maybe cheap knicker and bra sets for 10 year olds?

Shetland folk will rue the day Tesco arrived, mark my words.

And they will most certainly not be getting any of my custom.

Until today, I would have said I'd not shop at tesco (except for their alpaca socks) as their quaility and prices weren't that great, I don't really do all that packaged stuff that supermarkets sell cheap. But had such fun with a jobsworth on the phone at the Lerwick co-op, who seemed incapable of customer service, I may well be tempted, may her manager be ever so happy with her in the morning :twisted: . (customer services is a freephone number 0800 0686 727 found on any co-op branded product)

Was suprised in Aberdeen that folk shopped at the local tesco service station because they believe it's cheaper than local shops. It's not, but it killed a couple of local shops that had survived being close to safeway/morrisons.

Guest Pronto

I dont see how tesco can compete with Blydoit fish.

As for them selling white goods, why not? I buy all my white goods off the internet as Clives is ALWAYS overpriced. ALWAYS!

And can they please start up their own petrol pumps. Even a penny lower a litre and theyll get everyone filling their tanks.

Thank god tesco is coming here long over due its time we get a good supermarket with a vast range of stock . Shame for the local fat cats if they have to reduce there vast mark up on products that has been over priced in years .

I think you're in for a disappointment!

No you're not - I lived in Shetland for the first 40 years of my life and moved South 3 years ago. I shop at Tesco, Asda or whoever makes my shopping easier or cheaper. I work hard to earn a decent living and see shopping as a chore, I use Tesco for convenience, they very rarely have empty shelves, their fresh produce is actually fresh, their home delivery is excellent and as long as you're smart you'll save money.

Some of the 'retail terrorists':roll: in here clearly have a problem with progress and are happy to live in a 'picture postcard' past where the local retailers called all the shots - like closing every Wednesday and deciding who could and couldn't open a store in Lerwick. Even when Liners arrived on a Wednesday in Lerwick packed with tourists none of the Lerwick shops bothered opening - Harrys and Frank Williamsons are two shops who have been prepared to adapt to changing society we live in and have both been quite successful.

For your typical family shopper they'll see Tesco as a convient place to do their shopping offering additional choice and services to make the drudgery of shopping easier - like it or lump it that's what most folks want.

From experience, I reckon you could do your entire shop in Tesco and get through the checkout, pay, and be heading home in the time it takes you to queue and pay for you shopping in the co-op :roll: