Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Ok guys, i thought this would be interesting, and i dont know if there is allready a thread like this but here goes...

(** mod edit - yup, there is. Have a quick search before starting new threads. I've merged this to the existing discussion **)

What do you guys think is best, Co-op or Tescos?

I find co-op to be unfriendly and lacks a lot of stuff, and theirs too much queueing

Tescos is too friendly, one guy asked me how i was 4 times, another girl asked me 4 times what my plans for xmas were,

I also worked for both at varying stages in my life, up here, in shetland.

Found tescos MILES better to work for, altho i was being paid more at the co-op.

So...which is best? and why?

Ok guys, i thought this would be interesting, and i dont know if there is allready a thread like this but here goes...

What do you guys think is best, Co-op or Tescos?

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2241&start=1050

Here's about 43 pages of much the same you can browse away your boxing day to.

Guest Anonymous

We very often end up visiting both , not my choice but it happens all the time ,

personally i dont see much difference , i like to get in and out quick .

Also prefer to wander down to the local for those bits and pieces its certainly less stressful .

Guest Anonymous

^^^ Mainlands shop at Da Ness have also been known to do the same for pregnant or disabled people. Makes saving money in their shop just that bit nicer than the hassle of the supermarkets. :D

Another thing small shops regularly do when a baby is born in the area, is ask if there are any particular things you need, and they'll stock them.

:lol: Well I went into Tesco around dinnertime on the Monday before Christmas and all the fruit and veg on the shelves. the store looked bright and cheerful and staff very busy but pleasent.

Missed a couple of things for a neighbour so went to the Co- Op their refurbishment hasn't improved the atmosphere nor lightened the attitude of the staff and apart from a couple of bags of tatties , some butter squash and a couple of bags of apples the fruit and veg shelves were completely empty, got what was needed for my neighbour, couldn't wait to get out.

I know that the boats weren't in for a couple of days but a little forward planning would have solve all that. Living 30 miles from Lerwick we do that throughout the year so no need to panic when the stores may have to close for holidays or miss the odd deliveries at holiday times.

Anyway Happy New Year to all and hope you all had a great Christmas

I have to say that of recent times - TESCO has a far far better range and availability of stock. I honestly did not see the problem of them opening a store here - ok some residents complain about the 6 only item rule - but when there are no boats or short supply is this such an aufull idea? it's fairer to the customers.

I used to shop at the co-op quite a lot but now when possible I go to Tesco as of late - (Am I the only Person to have an objection to the flooding of the co-op with "Fair Trade" items?. ) I am in principle in favour of this idea up to a point - but feel my choices of brands have been diminished at the CO-OP. True there are products within this brands which are ok - but others which are downright ropy and quite often no alternative.

Not only that, these products are very expensive - making the co-op increasingly prohibitive - price wise for families and those on a limited income. you can get some fair trade items in TESCO but the store isn't overwhelmed by them.

Incidently - how many people reading this realise that the CO-OP is the largest food retailer in the country? - yes quite -and I only recently discovered this.

The CO-OP recently brought up what was left of the SOMERFIELD chain -

and the bid had to be refered to the equivelent of what used to beknown as the monopolies board ( I don't know the correct name of this government organisation these days) before the bid was allowed.

Now come on CO-OP if you've that much money please invest some of it not just in a new look - fair trade outlet - but in proper ballanced choice store for your :x :x :x :x :x customers - or you will lose them for good.