Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Ha! I don't shop at Tesco as i love the new atmosphere in the co-op although they do need to pull their finger out at the tills.

However, my granny insists on shopping at Tesco which is her right, I took her last night and seen they are selling Sony Bravia tv's at reduced prices. So much for not getting big into the electrical goods sales, this is just the begining, just wait till the extension is done, i fear the worst for the local businesses. How are they going to be able to compete against the buying power of this beast.

As Tesco has done in other parts of the country it will soon engulf Shetland

, local businesses will be forced to shut, people out of work then they'll drive up their prices. And i have to say they are already more expensive than the co-op.

However, my granny insists on shopping at Tesco which is her right, I took her last night and seen they are selling Sony Bravia tv's at reduced prices. So much for not getting big into the electrical goods sales, this is just the begining, just wait till the extension is done, i fear the worst for the local businesses. How are they going to be able to compete against the buying power of this beast.

, local businesses will be forced to shut, people out of work then they'll drive up their prices. And i have to say they are already more expensive than the co-op.

I couldnt agree more.

That doesn't make sense - not your post, but their pricing behaviour.

I should say that I agree that they are more expensive in some product lines than the Co-op and they are certainly ahead in checkout speed, however, it doesn't completely fit with some of the demonisation of Tesco present in this forum. It just doesn't make economic sense to increase prices prior to establishing a monopoly. If your global domination model for Tesco is correct (and I'm most certainly not saying it is not!) why would they already be more expensive than a competitor? Surely they need to destroy the opposition before squeezing the customer base?

^ Who buys a new telly in town anyway? I thought most folk shopped online for the best deals for such a thing. You could consider Tesco selling telly's as actually trying to attract custom that would have been spent on the mainland?

Surely we all use the Hydro shop as our main source of electrical goods? :lol:

After their fabulous levels of customer service wouldn't you buy your kit from Amazon?

^ Who buys a new telly in town anyway? I thought most folk shopped online for the best deals for such a thing. You could consider Tesco selling telly's as actually trying to attract custom that would have been spent on the mainland?

Just trying to be positive.

I have bought from Bolts before and I know that if you ask at Goerdie Robertsons they shall endeavour to find you what you want. I got my flat screen tv through them and i was delighted.

That doesn't make sense - not your post, but their pricing behaviour.

I should say that I agree that they are more expensive in some product lines than the Co-op and they are certainly ahead in checkout speed, however, it doesn't completely fit with some of the demonisation of Tesco present in this forum. It just doesn't make economic sense to increase prices prior to establishing a monopoly. If your global domination model for Tesco is correct (and I'm most certainly not saying it is not!) why would they already be more expensive than a competitor? Surely they need to destroy the opposition before squeezing the customer base?

You're completely correct, I thought there meat products were very highly priced although there branded baked beans where cheap, I love beans but would still pay the little extra at the co-op :lol:

The refurbishment in the CO-OP is a joke. More space for more stock but less space for the tills. I think there used to be 10 tills but this is now reduced to 8? What a farce.

And what is with the Headsets that the "Supervisors" are wearing these days?

It's just an intercom system. Allowing checkout operators to get help from supervisors and to allow supervisors to communicate among themselves. Speeds things up.

There used to be 10 checkouts + 1 kiosk but now there's 8 checkouts and 3 kiosk. The latter are rarely as manned as they need to be...

I would of thought that one of the busiest retailers in the street is Boots, i would love them to move into bigger premises, so they could expand into all their product range and facilitys.

That present shop can't be much good for wheelchair users, and you see a lot of mums parking their buggys outside the shop because of difficulty manouvering around .

^^ Why would anyone want to take a kid in a buggy in to a shop anyway? You're inside either browsing or buying, why make the job countless more time difficult and time consuming by taking a buggy through the aisles? Or is the street such a dangerous and lawless place these days that its not safe to leave a kid on the doorstep for a short bit?

At least Boots present shop is an immense improvement on the previous one, and be thankful if you don't remember the chaos that their current shop was, when it was the nearest thing to a supermarket Shetland had. I may be getting old, but it's not that many years since Presto moved out of there.