Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

^^ Why would anyone want to take a kid in a buggy in to a shop anyway? You're inside either browsing or buying, why make the job countless more time difficult and time consuming by taking a buggy through the aisles? Or is the street such a dangerous and lawless place these days that its not safe to leave a kid on the doorstep for a short bit?

Nine years ago I had no problem leaving my child unattended in his buggy outside while I popped into a shop. I wouldn't dream of it now - there are crazy people out there - I know, because I've had the misfortune of encountering them! On the rare occasion I do get into town the buggy is never far from my side.

Guest posiedon
khitajrah

On the rare occasion I do get into town the buggy is never far from my side.

It amazes me that Harry's has those expensive buggies (prams in my day) outside on the street, where the shop staff can't see them, down south they wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Here's a good question, has anybody seen a local businessman or woman out shopping in Lerwick?

I can't think of the last time I did.

Local business people must themselves be acutely aware of how much more expensive stuff is up here, so do they;

a. Bite the bullet and pay that bit extra to shop locally.

b. Do what they tell the rest of us not to do and get on-line to Amazon?

And lastly, do they send their husband or wife to Tesco for the Helly errants so as not to be seen there?

Here's a good question, has anybody seen a local businessman or woman out shopping in Lerwick?

Its a long time ago, and habits no doubt vary, but I would think the answer is generally "Yes and No".

Way back in the dark ages I had an after school job in one of the shops on the street, and yes, the owner was in the habit of buying things from other street shops. However, he was also a smoker, and he only every bought his B&H from the wholesalers.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me out here? I am a Tesco shopper and I used to buy a product from them, however it has been so long since I have seen any on their shelves that I cannot remember their name.

It should be in the fruit and veg aisle, it's yellow and bent? Any ideas?

Come on Tesco, I am sure that these were more readily available in the war.

Considering he lives in Lerwick, I'd think treking out to Wesidale would be just a little bit inconvenient.

And w.r.t. your earlier moan about the lack of bag packing. When I worked there it wasn't something that you were told to do. Most people were more than capable of packing their own bags. Most had their OWN bags to quickly throw their purchases into and it was only a problem when there was stuff from end to end of the conveyor. You'd probably get a bit of help then.

when you have young kids with you any help of bag packing is appreciated as shopping with kids at your heels is a nightmare, also when you get to the counter and the cashier turns her back to spk to someone behind her, and have a full blown conversation about her illness and sick pay your standing there waiting to pay i think as an ex shop assistant myself is a disgrace i always helped pack bags smiled and took time to spk to the customers i do the majority of my shopping in the weidale shop on my way home from work and the service is fantastic there

When I was a wage slave at a local supermarket the staff rulebook said that checkout operators were meant to offer to help customers to pack their bags if needed. I always interpreted that as meaning that if someone was too proud to make an effort to pack their own bags then I always had something urgent to do until they did make that that effort. To help not to do it for them.

That said I was always happy to give help when needed and to do a good job of packing for those people unable to do their own packing.

when you have young kids with you any help of bag packing is appreciated as shopping with kids at your heels is a nightmare, also when you get to the counter and the cashier turns her back to spk to someone behind her, and have a full blown conversation about her illness and sick pay your standing there waiting to pay i think as an ex shop assistant myself is a disgrace i always helped pack bags smiled and took time to spk to the customers i do the majority of my shopping in the weidale shop on my way home from work and the service is fantastic there

When I was a wage slave at a local supermarket the staff rulebook said that checkout operators were meant to offer to help customers to pack their bags if needed. I always interpreted that as meaning that if someone was too proud to make an effort to pack their own bags then I always had something urgent to do until they did make that that effort. To help not to do it for them.

That said I was always happy to give help when needed and to do a good job of packing for those people unable to do their own packing.

I only really helped folk when they had loads of shopping to do and no bag packers were in. But sometimes folk maybe said they didn't need / want help, or they had, like, three items which I'm sure they were capable of packing themselves. But I know it's the Co-op's store policy that they don't have to help pack bags, which I agree is pretty rude.