Shetland on Eurovision?!

Tom

I was just watching the BBC's streaming video of the UK's Eurovision entry (painfully bad... why don't we have interesting acts like Lordi?), and twice thought I saw people waving Shetland flags. So back I went through to find them, suspecting it was just an Icelandic flag... But no - no red - it really seems that there is a guy waving a small Shetland flag.

At 1:25 in this clip, the fellow on the right definitely seems to be waving one - Click here

(** mod edit - formatted link URL string**)

I stopped watching in 1970 - as soon as I was able.

I can remember it being quite a feature, back in the days of one channel and black and white!

It really is completely unrelated to ability or contemporary music trends. I should say that I imagine it is, as I haven't watched for a while!

I was just watching the BBC's streaming video of the UK's Eurovision entry (painfully bad... why don't we have interesting acts like Lordi?), and twice thought I saw people waving Shetland flags. So back I went through to find them, suspecting it was just an Icelandic flag... But no - no red - it really seems that there is a guy waving a small Shetland flag.

At 1:25 in this clip, the fellow on the right definitely seems to be waving one - Click here

(** mod edit - formatted link URL string**)

thats a sweden flag

British pop music is among the best in the world and has been for decades; yet we consistently fail to win the Eurovision. I think this is because the point of Eurovision is to avoid winning.

The winner gets the expensive and dubious privilege of hosting next year's event, so loosing is actually a good idea.

British pop music is among the best in the world and has been for decades; yet we consistently fail to win the Eurovision. I think this is because the point of Eurovision is to avoid winning.

The winner gets the expensive and dubious privilege of hosting next year's event, so loosing is actually a good idea.

That and the fact that nowadays winning the Euro would more likely hinder someones UK career than it would boost it due to the poor outlook of the contest.

I do like listening to Terry Wogan ripping the **** :lol: Always good for a laugh!

I do like listening to Terry Wogan ripping the **** :lol: Always good for a laugh!

Very true. Last year, I listened on the radio and could hear him guffawing and chortling (with the occasional pause for air, or a professional apology). No idea what he found so funny as it was a visual thing, but just him laughing was enough to keep me chuckling to myself.

Ive become a born again terry wogan fan.. used to listen to him years ago as I was alway traveling to work with me dad who listened to him. then i got my own car and looking back.. for some unknown reason I listened to radio one in the morning... now I'm back to the togs and he even has me laughing in the morning which is a rare thing :P

Well I will stick my head above the parapet and wait to be shot at........

..... I love Eurovision. I love the absurdity, the politics, the fashion, everything. I love it!

I have watched it religiously for years and never take it seriously!

Great entertainment, an absolute hoot!

(Hiding behind giant sofa cushions while rotten eggs are thrown at me!)