Capsized oil vessel

Scoobysue

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6550077.stm

Hopefully that link will work - but it might not, am not technically minded ;-)

Anyhow, saw this incident reported on both BBC news & STV's North Tonight. Thing is STV said it occurred off the 'north west coast' of Shetland and in the 'North Sea'. But I thought the water to the West was the Atlantic?

Obviously, am hopeful that the remaining six missing personnel will be found (sounds like there are at least four aircraft in the area - 3 helicopters and an RAF Nimrod) but wanted to check my geographical confusion.

Rosebank is just the UK side of the median between Shetland and Faeroe, roughly equidistant from Eshaness and Torshavn. Most folk would consider it the Atlantic, but it's a point which could be debated, particularly if you heed the Wikipedia map, they claim that it's part of the Norwegian Sea. :?:

That's the BBC confimirming it was the Bourbon Dolphin - it's just on the news front page, didn't think to copy the link!

They reckon the missing crew could be trapped inside the upturned hull, which sounds pretty awful. But at least it narrows the search area.

So far, on this occasion the Aith lifeboat has not been needed as there were 3 or 4 rig supply/standby vessels in the saturating area during the night and conducting a search; these vessels crews are trained in SAR (Search and Rescue) and they can complete a good quality of search.

If the lifeboat had joined in, the crew would be very fatigued by now which may have impacted on rescue operations today - i.e being unavailable, should they be needed. (sometimes you need to keep some assets in reserve).

Also, during the first hour or two after the accident, the coastguard helo LC and the Bond (BP/Jigsaw) helicopter completed a search of the area for survivors; those 7 were landed at Tingwall, and 72 crew from the rig - the Transocean Rather - were evacuated to Sumburgh later in the night.

It is possible that the Bourbon Dolphon crew still missing could be trapped in the vessel somewhere, and as you've probably seen on the news, a team of Navy divers were flown up from Faslane to be landed on the Subsea 7; Subsea 7 has video footage from their ROVs of the Bourbon Dolphin which has been studied by the dive team, and also further live ROV ops were due to take place this morning before the divers make a decision as to whether it is safe for them to go into the capsized vessel.

An updated search area was calculated, allowing for tidal drift and wind (etc) and LC (Lima Charlie) were tasked to conduct that search this morning.

According to BBC News she was Anchor handling at the time. She had the rigs anchor on her deck and for some unknown reason made a sharp turn which caused the anchor to slip along the deck causing the boat to rock and ended up capsizing. All happened very quick apparently.

I wanted to work on the rig support boats so applied for a safety course and a boat handling course. I was rejected for the courses on the grounds that I didn't have enough sea experience. I actually have no sea experience at all.

You can't help but feel sorry for the 15 year old's family, the lad being on work experience. It shows how safe they must think rig suply work is when they will let a youngster on there.

There was a guy on the news yesterday (possibly a union leader) saying that the operation they were doing was so regular, and something done every day and it is to the first of his knowledge any time something like this has ever happened.

Although it turns out that something exactly the same happened to a Danish vessel in 2002 off of Nigeria.

There was a guy on the news yesterday (possibly a union leader) saying that the operation they were doing was so regular, and something done every day and it is to the first of his knowledge any time something like this has ever happened.

Although it turns out that something exactly the same happened to a Danish vessel in 2002 off of Nigeria.

That was Jake Molloy of OILC, I think (Oil Industry Liaison Committee), so, yeah, a bunch of unions all joined up together. I'd usually expect him to have checked his facts before he spoke on camera - right enough, if his people said it had never happened before, he's got to trust them and make his statement.

Doesn't make his any less wrong, though.;-)

This is the investigation report on the Danish incident -

http://soefart.inforce.dk/graphics/Synkron-Library/DMA/UK_PDF/CasualtyReports/2003/stevnspoweruk.pdf

The Bourbon Dolphin was the vessel which pulled the German Minesweeper off the rocks in Feb this year.

http://www.bt.no/lokalt/sf/article342740.ece