Unst - what does the future hold?

admin

What I have in mind is a multimedia consultation where people could submit ideas by post, by leaving a message on some sort of voicebank or via the internet. A sort of "no need to give your name" system where anyone from primary 1 bairns to Shetland's oldest person could give their thoughts. Perhaps something like Shetlink for discussion. And only one rule......any ideas submitted cease to be the property for the person who submitted it.

A good idea JustMe, but was that not one of the purposes of 'the long range forecast'? (if not, it should have been)

No reason why we couldn't start a thread on here and see where it leads.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. The role of the likes of Shetland Enterprise or the Unst Response Team should be limited to providing financial assistance, training, advice on possible premises, grants and loans, marketing Unst to prospective employers from outwith the island and so on.

Good ideas are useless if they stay just as that - if we are so sure our ideas would work, why should it always be up to someone else to do something to implement them?

Two conflicting statements there. The members of SE and URT are being paid substantial salaries to gather the ideas put forward. Are they not then tasked with trying to bring some of these ideas to fruition? Or,do they merely offer advice to the ones with the ideas. They are hardly likely to be able to offer training and the financial assistance seems to be limited to pointers to funding sources.

If we have to ensure that our own ideas work and apply for our own grants why do we need SE and URT?

I don’t think that either Shetland Enterprise or the Unst Response Team can be expected to bring ideas to fruition themselves – their role isn’t to create businesses directly. The will to do so (if they are to be successful and self-sustaining in the long term) needs to come from private entrepreneurs or individuals albeit that SE/the URT fulfil an encouraging, supporting and assisting role and, I presume, could approach individuals or established companies to see if they were interested in pursuing any sensible business ideas.

Yes I think that they should be gathering the many (good) ideas raised by people in Unst about what new enterprises could be created and they could do mini feasibility studies into each (by looking at market conditions, grant assistance available, legislative requirements for the businesses in question, providing premises etc). I’m not sure that doing so on spec is necessarily going to be time and money well spent if there is no guarantee that an individual or business is going to take those ideas any further forward. The key here is to find ways to give ordinary folk the support, confidence and encouragement to turn their own good ideas into sustainable job creating businesses themselves - however small those may be – to complement potential successes in job creation through inward investment from the likes of Frank Strang or Blackwoods.

SE and the URT do certainly have a role to work with public agencies like the Council to take forward ideas raised by folk on how their operations could change to benefit Unst (basing the ferry there or decentralising office based jobs for example) but at the end of the day the Council has to have the political will to change those things themselves – which neither SE or the URT have any influence over.

I do think both have a role - but short of those suggestions and the work they are doing at the moment I’m just not sure what other practical things you see either SE or the URT being able to do.

[quote="shetlander"SE and the URT do certainly have a role to work with public agencies like the Council to take forward ideas raised by folk on how their operations could change to benefit Unst (basing the ferry there or decentralising office based jobs for example) but at the end of the day the Council has to have the political will to change those things themselves – which neither SE or the URT have any influence over.

I do think both have a role - but short of those suggestions and the work they are doing at the moment I’m just not sure what other practical things you see either SE or the URT being able to do.

SIC had two houses built in Unst to house ferry workers. They stood empty for months and Unst crew were paid to stay at home because the Yell crews resisted all efforts to change the situation. That move needs more than political will.

The forerunners of the URT listened to the blandishments of an entrepreneur who was going to turn Unst into the animation capitol of the North. They helped to channel more than £!M into the project. Where is the success in that story?

Recently,money was ploughed into obtaining property and employing staff to start a college in Baltasound. The idea was good but it didn't appear to have the backing of the education establishments. Where has that gone?

It is all too easy to throw money at projects and to create well paid posts filled by people who have no more experience in the local situation than the average citizen. Most of them are average citizens. If SE and URT have no influence over SIC and can not create industries they should be abolished. Or will you claim that these jobs are creating employment?

The forerunners of the URT listened to the blandishments of an entrepreneur who was going to turn Unst into the animation capitol of the North. They helped to channel more than £!M into the project. Where is the success in that story?
Whatever happened to the animation studio?

I'm not suggesting that public money should be foolheartedly given away to anyone to create new businesses. What I'm saying is that I don't see who is magically going to be able to provide the jobs and implement the many good ideas spoken about in Unst other than private individuals or businesses with the help of the public sector. Yes there have been failures but what about the recent successes in Unst? The Brewery and the PURE project for example?

And no, SE and the URT can't have any influence over the SIC and other public bodies but partnership is going to be the key to success in Unst and the URT do have a role to fulfil in making sure everyone works together.

Fifi Wrote

The rump of it existed as Aaberyowe for some time but their site has not been updated since 11/06/2003. Seeking www.aaberyowe.com brings no results. elizabethjohnson@yahoo.co.uk was their director. She is now chairperson of Iate.

Shetlander wrote.

Yes there have been failures but what about the recent successes in Unst? The Brewery and the PURE project for example?

And no, SE and the URT can't have any influence over the SIC and other public bodies but partnership is going to be the key to success in Unst and the URT do have a role to fulfil in making sure everyone works together.

The success of Valhalla Brewery is down to the desirability of the product not to any influence of SE or URT whilst the PURE project has not yet proved itself to be a commercial success. Judging by the number of times that the wind turbines are down for repair,it will need 100% efficiency to make them viable.

We will have to agree to disagree on the need for partnership. If SE and URT have little influence and entrepreneurs have to develop their own ideas and seek their own finances,what need for partners?

Fifi Wrote

The rump of it existed as Aaberyowe for some time but their site has not been updated since 11/06/2003. Seeking www.aaberyowe.com brings no results. elizabethjohnson@yahoo.co.uk was their director. She is now chairperson of Iate.

Thanks for that. I see that both the .com and the .co.uk versions are registered until 2007, although no sign of a website as you say. Presumably out of business. Didn't last that long. Wonder how much public money was put into it?

I feel like I've exausted the debate on this one Claudias. Perhaps we should indeed agree to disagree.

I can understand how folk feel frustrated that little has come out of the money that has been spent on various initiatives and partnerships over the years in Unst but as I said at the start, I don't believe that any public agency no matter how much money they have can simply take ideas and turn them into jobs or businesses overnight without some kind of input from individuals or entrepreneurs to take them on and run them as viable businesses in the long run.

Shetland is a small place and it isn't always easy to say what you think out loud or in public I know. I can only vouch for what you have said on this forum but sitting on the sidelines criticising those who are doing their best to regenerate Unst without providing any real and practical alternatives to how they could do things better isn't the answer.

Perhaps you have done so already but maybe you should speak to the likes of Shetland Enterprise, the Unst Partnership, the Unst Community Council, Initiative at the Edge or Councillor Brian Gregson. If you feel that your opinions reflect the views of the majority of folk in Unst then they should be pleased to hear what you have to say.

how many folk are living in Unst now, and how many of these are actively able/willing to work?

Its all well and good proposing new business opportunities but i would suspect that all those who are capable of starting up, running and maintaining viable businesses are currently doing so, at maximum capacity. There's no other way than bringing folk in and that includes a skilled workforce, (you can train those who are willing but will always need skilled folk from the outset) logistically i would assume any new business would have to be funded to the hilt to encourage take up and continuation and i think it would be a bit naive to expect to find enterpreneurs for even a small percentage of the options that are possible, at least folk who are capable of running said businesses beyond 'into the ground'. You can't assume folk can change their fortunes just by throwing (ideas &) money at them, with the instruction 'juist get du on wi hit'

On an aside, how many potentials will be discouraged by the Chris Hodge fiasco/drama? perhaps a satellite store for bargain goods can be set up as recompense to benefit those communities whose folk find it difficult to reach da toon? :wink:

Hopefully the options being considered aren't exclusively for Unst, fine place that it is, and that the rest of the Isles can benefit from the time money and effort being afforded the project.

[took ower long to type yun, didna see your last post afore 'shetlander', but totally agree wi it]

Shetlander wrote.

Yes there have been failures but what about the recent successes in Unst? The Brewery and the PURE project for example?

The success of Valhalla Brewery is down to the desirability of the product not to any influence of SE or URT whilst the PURE project has not yet proved itself to be a commercial success. Judging by the number of times that the wind turbines are down for repair,it will need 100% efficiency to make them viable.

We will have to agree to disagree on the need for partnership. If SE and URT have little influence and entrepreneurs have to develop their own ideas and seek their own finances,what need for partners?

The desirablility or otherwise of the Valhalla Brewery's estimable products would be a moot point without the assistance of SE/SIC/DD in developing the business plan and paying out start up funding. Doesn't matter how good an idea is if you can't raise money for it or you don't understand the dynamics of starting up a business.

As for the PURE turbines, I suspect that actual generation is not/will not be PURE's main order of business - ultimately they'll make more from developing software and contracting out expertise. The Hagdale site is little more than a proving ground as I understand it.

You'd have a point if SE's only role was to hand out advice, but they've pumped a fair amount of start up cash over the years into projects across the islands - they're less of a grant making body than they used to be but there's plenty of businesses from sumburgh Head to Skaw who wouldn't be on the go today without public sector seedcorn funding from SE and the Development Dept.

The URT I know little about - after my time - but if they're not a conduit to funding or free services such as market research and business planning, you'd be right, they'd be of limited use.

Your point about Unst folk only welcoming incomers if they're well heeled retirees, on the other hand, is iredeemably ill informed - not to mention insulting.

I think that instead of trying to keep the Unst population atificially high as it has been during the RAF years it should be allowd to find its onw natural equilibrium.

Agreed - The thing that I hear all too often about Unst is that it is "too far to go to".

New Magnie wrote"Your point about Unst folk only welcoming incomers if they're well heeled retirees, on the other hand, is iredeemably ill informed - not to mention insulting.

I must apologise for the way that piece was worded. 'As long as they are retirees and not competing' should have read 'especially if they are retirees and not competing'. There was no mention about being well heeled. Asylum seekers would be equally welcome.

Unst has welcomed many thousands of incomers over the centuries,most especially over the last fifty years and will no doubt continue to do so,if allowed. There must be a tinge of bitterness however in people who see the created jobs going to incomers whilst they have had to leave the island to survive.