Fuel Prices

mr_brain

When are we doing it?? I'll be there and am certain I could gather a few more Vehicles, would it not be better to do it at every fuel station around Shetland on a different day as well as blocking the Commercial street? I'm not quite sure but I think it was £1.37 a litre I paid tonight at Brae for Diesel.

I think Tesco is our only hope of getting any competition up here. A while back they said they were looking for a suitable site, but I don't know what progress has been made since.

I don't think Tesco is the answer, since their fuel is normally only 1p cheaper per litre after using their 5p off coupon, most places in the UK. I know that folk believe the save 5p adverts, but how many look at the actual prices, not many.

The only future for cheaper prices rests with government legislation which could reduce the duty for remote regions.

^^I agree we ought to have a duty reduction here and in other remote places, but the problem here is that any reduction in duty will be countered by a similar increase in price by the monopoly supplier, so it would only benefit the supplier and not the consumer.

It was interesting that when the government stated that they would try to reduce the duty here by 5p per litre, within a week the price went up in Lerwick by about 5p!

^^I agree we ought to have a duty reduction here and in other remote places, but the problem here is that any reduction in duty will be countered by a similar increase in price by the monopoly supplier, so it would only benefit the supplier and not the consumer.

It was interesting that when the government stated that they would try to reduce the duty here by 5p per litre, within a week the price went up in Lerwick by about 5p!

I'm still not convinced that Tesco would act in any other manner than the present suppliers. After all their first duty is to maximise their profits at the expense of the public.

What is really needed is government legislation to cap the price of fuel, whilst still ensuring that remote retailers can make enough profit to maintain their facility. I know that many petrol pumps in Shetland are not making enough profit to pay a wage for somebody to staff them. Perhaps the way ahead is for the pumps to be converted to the automatic credit/debit card type. Reducing staff costs, and making it more profitable for the retailer. But, there goes somebody's job. :(

I'm still not convinced that Tesco would act in any other manner than the present suppliers. After all their first duty is to maximise their profits at the expense of the public.

What is really needed is government legislation to cap the price of fuel, whilst still ensuring that remote retailers can make enough profit to maintain their facility. I know that many petrol pumps in Shetland are not making enough profit to pay a wage for somebody to staff them. Perhaps the way ahead is for the pumps to be converted to the automatic credit/debit card type. Reducing staff costs, and making it more profitable for the retailer. But, there goes somebody's job. :(

Nope , I'm sorry there Far Haaf but you can't tell me that it costs more to staff/run a petrol station in Shetland than it does in Orkney or Lewis ? Our populations are very similar yet their fuel is significantly cheaper than ours , even Thurso is 12 p a litre cheaper than us last time I was there , our problem is without doubt due to the monopoly that exists here in Shetland . If it costs 8p a litre less in Orkney that means a 1000litre tank (An IBC full) would cost £80 less to fill , that works out at the same cost it would be for an individual to ship an IBC full of fluid via one of the delivery co's , if it cost that amount for a 1 off shipment how much cheaper would it be to ship in bulk ? I don't know the answer to that but would guess you could negotiate a substantial discount .

I agree with Far Haaf that the service stations throughout Shetland are not making a fortune from the high prices. The problem lies with the supplier who also owns the station in Lerwick (used to be Leasks). I have no doubt that the supplier (GM Fuels) is charging a high price to the other service stations so that they have to put up their prices as well, but not making very much margin on it.

So if there is to be a "blockade" it should only be at the one station in Lerwick, not the other service stations who are really not at fault.

Just for the sake of perspective, I reckon that the cost of bringing the fuel up to Shetland by tanker is about 2p per litre. I might be wrong, it might be 1p or 3p, but I'm fairly sure it's in that sort of region.

And they are charging about 15p extra for the privilege! Assuming they deliver about 20 million litres to Shetland per annum, they must be making about £3 million extra profit per annum out of this place!

So a good response then to start off,

I'm not gonna pretend to know about organising something like this

so would anyone want to put in a few suggestions, maybe we could

then fire up a new thread with a poll and take if from there.

At very least folks we can make sure we are heard.

I'm was thinkin a large turn out with out vehicles to create a bigger 'footprint'

Obviously press would be a required to make this work, and maybe some of them 'statues' from the council who are meant to help us out.

I'm sure the press and even TV cameras may turn up as (correct me if I'm wrong) this would be Shetlands first Fuel Protest and it might even reach the south news!!!!

I don't think any council members would turn up though unless they can rinse expenses out of it

Well something needs to be done about this, I see that the price has gone up again this morning £1.36.9 for petrol & £1.39.9 for diesel.

Does anybody have any ideas of what we the public can do?

Got a choice. Pay up and keep driving or find another way to travel and stop driving. Or go really crazy and take the boat to Aberdeen and back every time you want to fill your tank. Legally that's about it apart from getting a less thirsty car or finding an electric one. We have just one company importing petrol and diesel into Shetland and I am sure they can legally charge what they like........yes something like "if you don't stop moaning we will put the price up to £2 a litre" would be quite legal unless it was refereed to the monopolies commission and they blocked the increase.