Fuel Prices

mr_brain

I get confused, still, between gallons and litres; so did a calculation, which I hope is right;

based upon a difference of 15 p per litre; 7500 miles per annum; and 35 miles to the gallon; the diff in price between fuel in Shetland, and , say, Aberdeen, is approx 100.00 per annum.

It seem useful to focus not on the per litre price, but on the actual amount, per annum.

Yes, lots of different mileages out there; and lots of different miles to the gallon; but taking an average line that seems to be what the fuss is about; 100.00 per vehicle per annum.

I am not suggesting whether that is a lot or a little; simply putting a figure on it.

• 3 months later...

^^Leasks is owned by GM Fuels who owns Scottish Oils, who ships all the fuel to Shetland. That's why fuel prices are so high in Shetland, because GM Fuels load the price they charge to the service stations. If Tesco start supplying cheaper fuel in Lerwick, that will put pressure on Leasks (i.e. GM Fuels) to cut their price also, but I wonder how it is going to affect the other smaller service stations throughout Shetland, as they don't have very much margin to play with.

Guest Anonymous

dunno , but because these are sharky b***ards i never buy fuel from leasks now on principal , only buying at sutherlands/jims and brae in the vain hope some local money stays local

If they,d fill the tankers up wee fuel before they send them to Shetland then i,m sure the prices could be a bit cheaper.......... most o the time their only 1/3 to 1/2 full at best.

I pretty sure the tankers stopped in Orkney first, then travels on up to us, that would explain why they arent full when they get here.