Best Shetland Football players ever seen

Guest Anonymous

Are you guys on drugs?

Bobby Wiseman has kept 4 clean sheets in senior inter-counties as well as one in the Inter Island games final - John Johnson (twice Shetland footballer of the year) has six clean sheets in inter-counties and Clive Watt was also around. All head and shoulders above anyone else in the last 25 years.

The reason I posted it as noteworthy was because not many people get to play in THREE junior inter-counties far less keep a clean sheet in all of 'em.

I'm quite sure that, had he chosen to do so, Brydon would have made a very competent senior county keeper.

The only reason they might be head and shoulders above Brydon would be because he's not exactly the tallest keeper ever seen.

But I'd have him (or any of the ones you've mentioned) with equal confidence.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds about right Jimmy was it a County Shield cup game? he played in the Parish Cup final for Southend in 03 so it fits in because he retired with a bad knee at the of the 04 season. Like I said could of been a lot more without him.

And as far as I believe he was the only keeper to keep 3 clean sheets at junior inter-county.

Pretty sure Iain Morrison kept three clean sheets '72 '73 '74.

Are you guys on drugs?

Bobby Wiseman has kept 4 clean sheets in senior inter-counties as well as one in the Inter Island games final - John Johnson (twice Shetland footballer of the year) has six clean sheets in inter-counties and Clive Watt was also around. All head and shoulders above anyone else in the last 25 years.

Settle Kirsty. Football's all about opinions, you're entitled to yours the same as I'm entitled to mine. If you'd read my post you'd see I said

Shetland has produced some brilliant keepers ower da years.

Bobby, John and Clive were among the keepers I had in mind.

However, I reserve the right to say that the Budges and Brian Munro were also brilliant.

Why would I need to be on drugs to say that? Which of the aforementioned did you see play?

Are you guys on drugs?

Never saw Clive or John play, but your statement of their ability is impressive, having played with Bobby and Brydon and against both of them I would have Budgie 1st for his positioning and fearless defence of the penatly area, of the forwards in Shetland who have played against Brydon Budge many would testify to his willingness to challenge for a 50/50 through ball, he was a keeper that had bags of ability and was capable of pulling off match winning saves on a regular basis, all this inspite of his stature which as marooned in maywick stated was smaller than that of the three keepers you mentioned.

Pretty sure Iain Morrison kept three clean sheets '72 '73 '74.

Check Jim Peterson's book. Terry Johnson was in goals for all three and eaven lost 7 in one off the games.

You are aware that we're talking about the junior inter-county here....aren't you?

I'm fairly confident dB would have known who was in goals in 1974 at least.

Check Jim Peterson's book. Terry Johnson was in goals for all three and eaven lost 7 in one off the games.

I think you'll find you were looking at 1963 senior county Kirsty which in the book shows a 9-7 victory for Shetland must of been some game 8O , 1973 junior county was indeed I morrison who as db stated kept 3 clean sheets 72, 73, 74, I stand corrected db.

I think you'll find you were looking at 1963 senior county Kirsty which in the book shows a 9-7 victory for Shetland must of been some game 8O , 1973 junior county was indeed I morrison who as db stated kept 3 clean sheets 72, 73, 74, I stand corrected db.

Nae probs. I suspect I hae a slight advantage agewise regarding mid 70's junior fitba.

The 50th anniversary book has I Barrie as first on the teamsheet for the 1972 football.

Could be he played with I Morrison (who was also listed) as reserve?

Bollox!!! Never bothered to count if there were more than 11 players listed, which would have given it to IM if only 11names!

100% genuine information now - straight from the keeper's mouth.

Iain Morrison did indeed play in the 1972/73/74 junior (just enlarging it for kirsty's benefit :wink: ) intercounties keeping clean sheets in them all with scores of 0-0, 2-0 and 5-0 in Shetland, Orkney and Shetland respectively.

I must confess to remembering the 72 and 74 ones.

I must also confess to never having scored against Iain Morrison, but then ......... I don't think I've ever played on the same team as him :P

I was under the impression that to qualify for being the best, then SENIOR county was of a far higher standard and more appropriate. The argument you gave was indeed correct regarding juniors. I was addressing seniors.

My boyfriend says that according to John Johnson, Bobby Wiseman is the best goalkeeper these isles has produced and should have played at a high standard of professional football.

Oh well if John Johnson says so then it must be true! 8O , there is many a player in these Isles that should of or could of played senior county but due to the vagries of the county selection process didnt, having played senior county while indecetive of having some amount of talent should'nt be the only cirteria for being the best player seen, many a football player and supporter could give examples in their own club of two players in the same position but the manager or coach picked one over the other for a multitude of reasons, but when a new manager taks ower they favour the other player.

Maybe we'll have to draw up a selction criteria for the next post, Shetlands best 11 ever seen, never to have played Senior County?, any takers?

Brydon Budge and Bobby Wiseman are both outstanding keepers. Having played we both i'd find it difficult to choose. Both reassure you just by being on the park but as far as skills go they are ahead of some in the past 10 years by some way in my humble opinion.

As far as outfield goes Moray Leask was different class. Lucky enough to play with Moray for many years and he was outstanding. I'd have liked o see him playing more for shetland senior football but playing south was the right move. Shame he's not playing now but i'm sure 'Kid Goals' as the Sun nicknamed him has some fond memories. Who knows he might decide to pull on the boots again.

Michael Johnson is another of Shetlands greatest players. Played with him on many occasions and i can't recall him having a bad game. A certainty for higher level football if circumstances had been different.