Flybe coming to Shetland

proudshetlander

Is this good for Shetland?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is this good for Shetland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont Know

It would certainly be interesting to see how Flybe would extend the low cost model to marginal routes in the highlands and islands as for new aircraft I would doubt there will be any change soon in the type of aircraft that loganair operate on the route as this is the type of aircraft they currently favour, if I remember correctly they have recently purchased a couple more Saab 340's.

They may introduce the dash 8 400 but as has been posted here previously some operators of this type have removed them from service due to problems with their undercarriage collapsing on landing.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simply, I think we have been dumped by BA. The new loganair deal with Flybe may be the best available, sad to say. BA have always had ambition to drop peripheral regional airports. Aberdeen is probably of little interest to them either, they've already ditched their staff there. I am sure I remember BA's plan was to fly big planes long distances.................i.e drop all regional flights and concentrate on international.

See BA have dropped their 24 hour phone services now too.

It will be interesting to see how wir cooncilors deal with flybe :wink: :wink: :x

For things we don't currently have to pay for:

• [*:b8b15c4f47]£9 per bag per one way flight up to 20kg (£5 if you jump through a hoop)
    [*:b8b15c4f47]99p per person per flight for paying by debit card (min £1.50)
    [*:b8b15c4f47]£5 to assign yourself a seat (£15 for exit seats) (£18 if paid at the airport) per sector

[*:b8b15c4f47]£1.60 for 330ml soft drink/£0.90 for 150ml
    [*:b8b15c4f47]£3.50 for 50ml spirits
    [*:b8b15c4f47]£2 for tea/coffee
    [*:b8b15c4f47]£5 for a croissantwich

Which I suppose is moot if the fares are a penny...

Perhaps it is as well to remember that Loganair will still be flying their planes out of Sumburgh even though they are in Flybe colours so we may not see much difference in the service on the direct flights to the mainland (and Orkney).

In theory the new arrangement gives us the chance to book connecting low fares to a lot more UK airports (although not Plymouth which has been mentioned) as well as connections to a good selection of European destinations. Maybe Flybe will settle down to be a good reliable carrier as well as offering cheap fares........or maybe not.

£9 per bag per one way flight up to 20kg (£5 if you jump through a hoop)

99p per person per flight for paying by debit card (min £1.50)

£5 to assign yourself a seat (£15 for exit seats) (£18 if paid at the airport) per sector

£1.60 for 330ml soft drink/£0.90 for 150ml

£3.50 for 50ml spirits

£2 for tea/coffee

£5 for a croissantwich

BA

£25 for a bag that is 50grams over weight thats while flying buisness class at several hundred pounds a ticket

charges for paying by credit card £2

no bloody chance of getting an exit seat

dont even think about having a drink or your off the bloody plane

tea and coffee undrinkable

lets leave the moaning until such time as flybe show themselves to have a worse service than BA

BA

£25 for a bag that is 50grams over weight thats while flying buisness class at several hundred pounds a ticket

For all of 50g you could take a small item out of the hold baggage and shove it on your person/hand luggage.

I'm pretty sure it's £3 but you'll be paying £5 with flybe

As far as ABZ-LSI (and the other way around) is concerned picking your seat online or using the self check-in in Aberdeen is pretty easy...

I can't say I've tried boarding the plane whilst completely off my face but I've seen others onboard/disembarking who were in no fit state.

Some of us appear to have lower standards for tea and coffee :(

lets leave the moaning until such time as flybe show themselves to have a worse service than BA

Fair enough!

£9 per bag per one way flight up to 20kg (£5 if you jump through a hoop)

99p per person per flight for paying by debit card (min £1.50)

£5 to assign yourself a seat (£15 for exit seats) (£18 if paid at the airport) per sector

£1.60 for 330ml soft drink/£0.90 for 150ml

£3.50 for 50ml spirits

£2 for tea/coffee

£5 for a croissantwich

BA

Yup, let's wait & see. Might even work out to Shetland's advantage.

sheepshagger - Have you been thrown off a plane then? Was coming back from Aberdeen recently when someone was denied boarding for being rather drunk. He was giving the staff some verbal abuse so quite rightly he got thrown off the flight.

^wasn't me. You don't have to be abusive or even drunk to get denied boarding the smell of drink on your breath is enough for some of the little hitlers on the route

I've not been able to check in online for shetland flights for a while but I have seen others with online boarding passes

Was coming back from Aberdeen recently when someone was denied boarding for being rather drunk. He was giving the staff some verbal abuse so quite rightly he got thrown off the flight.

It's my missus that ultimately decides whether someone is fit to travel or not, turn up too drunk or be abusive to the staff and you're on the Northlink....trust me, I wouldn't try arguing with her sober :wink:

• 2 months later...

I spy with my little eye...

http://www.crcshetland.co.uk/images/flybe.jpg

The first Loganair Saab to be fully painted up in Flybe colours. Arrived at Sumburgh Airport on the 15th of April.

http://www.crcshetland.co.uk/images/flybe2.jpg

Flybe need watching. I was going to book a flight from Exeter to Aberdeen with them.........no through bookings as this will be before the British Airways/Loganair franchise ends. Price was spectacular!.........in the sense of being super low. Charges and taxes pushed it up a bit but it was still comparable to making the journey on a National Express coach.

Then things went downhill.........an insurance premium was added although it wasn't much and did have an opt out. Still happy enough to book until a charge for having luggage was added. I had already looked at the baggage allowance and it seemed reasonable but there was no mention of a charge until I came to book. Price still good but I was somewhat miffed to see this added at the last minute.........so miffed that I just logged out of the site. May well go back but was not exactly happy to find a charge added in a rather sneaky way.