Is this good for Shetland?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is this good for Shetland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dont Know

I spy with my little eye...

http://www.crcshetland.co.uk/images/flybe.jpg

The first Loganair Saab to be fully painted up in Flybe colours. Arrived at Sumburgh Airport on the 15th of April.

http://www.crcshetland.co.uk/images/flybe2.jpg

Is that what's waiting for me on my return to work?? :shock:

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody tried to book a flybe flight through air discount scheme?

ADS website says

"From the 23rd June 2008 the following web address will be valid for all passengers travelling on or after 26th Oct 2008

www.flybe.com/ads "

This page doesn't exist and Flybe's main page has no mention of ADS or Sumburgh.

With the price of oil hitting $146 a barrel, the days of 'cheap' air travel are soon to be a distant memory, not that we ever had them in the outlying Islands.

If you see an airline advertising flights for say £30 return, it doesn't mean that every seat on the plane is going to be at that, probably only the first 5% - then the next 20% will be at £60, the next 25% at £90 return and so on and so on . Take Ryanair, the champions of low-cost travel, who regularly sell seats for 1p or even for free. If you buy the last avaible ticket on one of these flights you will probably pay more than you would getting a similar flight with BA (but with more shell-suits) as the scale of seat cost goes up as the plane fills up.

Even with flybe, a 'low cost' carrier, taking over the franchise of Loganair, it is just not possible to operate a 34 seat plane with rock-bottom prices, especially as aviation fuel has almost doubled in cost in the last year.

Sad to say but we will never have dirt-cheap air travel to and from the Island.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did end up booking a flight from Exeter to Aberdeen with Fly(may)be and today I got an e-mail telling me they had cancelled the flight and offering me a seat on the previous days service. A day off my holiday......no thanks!. Clicked the bit on their e-mail expecting to find a list of any other flights and somewhere to tick for a refund. Oh no........I am expected to call them on an 0871 number so I can sit contributing to their profits while my phone bill rises. No thank you. Terse e-mail sent telling them that I want a prompt refund or an 0800 number to call them on.

To be honest I can see why they are cancelling flights with the oil prices going ever higher but I am not going to settle for paying to call them to get my money back.........and if they try anything other than a full refund I will be complaining to Alastair, Tavish and whoever else I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...

While Flybe has bad points, one good point is that getting to Manchester is around £180 return before ADS. Surely adding access to Shetland from a major hub (albeit via Aberdeen) is a good thing? Not being able to book until October is a nuisance. Does anyone know if Flybe goes to London from ABZ/EDI/GLA? I wonder how much that will cost..

While Flybe has bad points, one good point is that getting to Manchester is around £180 return before ADS. Surely adding access to Shetland from a major hub (albeit via Aberdeen) is a good thing? Not being able to book until October is a nuisance. Does anyone know if Flybe goes to London from ABZ/EDI/GLA? I wonder how much that will cost..

Just checked and it will still be possible to book with Loganair/British Airways to London even after the BA franchise ends. And it should also be possible to book with Flybe from Sumburgh to London Gatwick. Of course all depends on fuel prices. Higher prices = higher air fares + more flight cancellations which is a pain but not really the airlines fault.

Anyone seen the article on the Shetland News site?

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_07_2008/Loganair%20deny%20Flybe%20baggage%20hike.htm

(Rant edited out because it turns out my rant was based on the Shetland News article which seems factually inaccurate)

The Loganair site says differently - £10 for extra bags and a £10 charge for overweight bags. The link is:

http://www.loganair.co.uk/service-info/flybe/baggage

The Flybe rules are at:

http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/1baggage.htm

"She added that due to the fuel situation affecting businesses worldwide it is now necessary to charge when planes carry heavier loads. "

How about you charge fat people more to go on a flight and slimmer people less and tie that into your baggage allowance then eh!

Or maybe vary the allowed baggage weight with the weight of the passenger....

Guest Anonymous

From recent experience of travelling from Sumburgh.

Bag weighed 32Kg, and the check in girl told me that because this was still a BA flight, there would be no extra charge, but when Flybe started, every extra Kilo would be charged for.

Maybe the slightly cheaper fares with Flybe are a good thing, but if you want to smuggle a few legs of reestit mutton out of Shetand in future, forget it.

Another example of the cheaper option costing more at the end of the day.

All Hail Tesco and Flybe... Giving Shetlanders what they want..... Higher prices.....

:lol: