Alistair Carmichael quits role as Scotland Spokesman

proudshetlander

Good on him standing up for what he belives in. I dont really like the Lib Dems, but have to say I think he is a lot better than most MP's.

I think there should be a referendom, think it would be a big thumbs down as everyone I know wants one and say they would vote no.

No, we absolutely should not have a referendum on the EU treaty!

Why? Well, how many of the electorate do you think could make an informed decision on the benefits and pitfalls of such a treaty? Damn near sausage all I would imagine! At best 1-10% would be informed enough to know what the hell they were even voting on!

To let the masses make such decisions would make a complete bloody mockery of the whole political process!

Leave the politicians to sort it, that's what they're paid to do.

Every one of the Mps who voted to deny us referendum are just a bunch of cowards, and are not fit to lick the boots of our armed forces. who are dying for others so they have the right to vote in there own country so much for Democracy

Are you saying that if we hadn't invaded Iraq and Afghanistan we would have lost the right to vote ?

Good on him standing up for what he belives in. I dont really like the Lib Dems, but have to say I think he is a lot better than most MP's.

Not often I find myself agreeing with you styles. I'm also impressed that he was the first to resign, more should have done so.

Maybe a few Lib Dem MSPs should take a leaf out of his book and think of their constituents and not the party line.

Politicians are paid to read, understand and make informed decisions on matters like this.

If the public were to be given a referendum they would not be voting on the content of the treaty at all, because 99% would not bother to read it. They would be voting on already existing beliefs and prejudices, most of which are created by a right-wing press that is determined to distort the truth about Europe.

People only demand referendums when they think politicians disagree with their own opinions.

To be honest I'm a bit confused by the Lib Dems position on this. They are a pro-European party, they want to stay in the EU, but they also want a referendum on leaving the EU, which would be voted on by a public that is currently shamefully ill-informed and biased in the other direction. Nick Clegg's position on this particular vote was also quite peculiar and self-defeating in the end.

To let the masses make such decisions would make a complete bloody mockery of the whole political process!

Dead right! Look at how it got us in to Europe in the first place!.

Leave the politicians to sort it, that's what they're paid to do.

Any idea when they plan to start doing what they're paid to do then?

What I’m saying is that Gordon Brown + Co have sent our armed forces in to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight for there right to vote in a Democracy. And Men and Women have died for years in that belief and now they are denying people of the UK the same right to make up there own minds on the subject . one thing for sure. I wont be taking Gordon Browns word on it. Or any member of The labor party come to that. If Gordon brown was to stand up in he house and say the sun was going to rise in the morning I would go out and make sure for my self. And I would not trust Gordon Brown to help children across a zebra crossing, never mind any were my nephews piggy bank. I had down loaded both versioned of European Union treaty Be for and after the so called red lines any fool can put red lines on a bit of paper. As far as I can see Gordon Brown could not color in with out numbers to help him, something most 6 year olds can manage. We may all be aloud to vote but Gordon Brown wont let us after being elected with such a mandate. So as far as I’m concerned he is not only a coward he is a traitor as well and If one could still fight duels there is every chance that when joining the queue I would find that I would not be the first to get to the starting gate. And besides duels were about Honor and Gordon Brown hasn’t a clue what the word Honor means.

As for a public that is currently shamefully ill-informed the ill-informed public has done ok for the past 600 years the UK is still here never mind two jumped up little corporals (Hitler and Napoleon) best efforts to do otherwise. It was the so called ill-informed public that was called up to stop them I have never been across the channel yet and if I ever have to go it will be with a gun in my hand just the same as my ancestors did.

Dead right! Look at how it got us in to Europe in the first place!.

Any idea when they plan to start doing what they're paid to do then?

Ha ha! :lol:

Can't answer that last one but after watching them on live telly yesterday I couldn't believe my own ears and eyes! What a shower of childish ninnies*!! Any suggestions on a better democratic system... on second thoughts, don't bother! :wink:

(*** Mod - Language: Please, using asterisks to circumvent the filter is just missing the point (F.)***)

:oops: Whoops! Original choice was far more accurate though, wouldn't you agree? :wink: