• yes different design
    • no
    • yes existing design

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Yes that is very true.

However, Arthur Anderson's name would not be too well known to many pupils nowadays, no more than they might be aware that he built up one of the largest shipping company's in the world, the P & O Company, thereby starting a shipping service from the mainland to the northern isles.

I would have thought it might now be time for a change of name for the new Shetland High School. (SHS)

Many of our greatest educationalists or benefactors could be commemorated within the new school:

GW Blance Room

TA Robertson (Vagaland)

and so on :mrgreen:

I would have thought it might now be time for a change of name for the new Shetland High School. (SHS)

Incredible. Surely that proposal is a prime contender for a "change for change's sake" award.

What is remarkable about Ertie is that unlike many of the people that institutions are named after, he was indeed a good guy, rather than merely a rich egomaniac. P&O? yeah fine, but don't forget his activities to break the iniquitous truck system.

Incredible. Surely that proposal is a prime contender for a change for change's sake award.

What is remarkable about Ertie is that unlike many of the people that institutions are named after, he was indeed a good guy, rather than merely a rich egomaniac. P&O? yeah fine, but don't forget his activities to break the iniquitous truck system.

Ertie?

Surely it's Sir Arthur, unless you knew him?

The truck system was common throughout Britain and certainly was iniquitous and trapped millions during those times.

I don't suggest this as 'change for change sake', but to build on a brilliant past - whilst not being made to live in the past.

After all, you'll notice that there are changes taking place - namely a new school and a new location.

Okay, just to keep Brae happy - LERWICK HIGH SCHOOL (LHS)?

By the way, I went to the LCPS and proud of it. :mrgreen:

You cannot shut the clickamin to the paying public when the school needs it!!.

People travel long distances to use the facilitys and cannot be restricted to times outwith school hours.

Many hundreds of people have D/D or pay for a year in advance to use the Clickamin.

Mid Yell leisure centre is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays to the public when the school children are using it. I imagine this is the same throughout Shetland where pupils are accessing Leisure centres.

There is a proposal to extend Clickimin to provide space for school use

Talks to be held over extending Clickimin to cope with school PE pupils

The idea being floated is for the existing games hall at Clickimin, which consists of six badminton courts, to be expanded into nine courts with two thirds of the area being set aside exclusively for use by pupils during school hours. It would then allow the additional space to be hired out to sports groups in the evenings and at weekends.

The existing hall could be used in some capacity without an extension being built, but Shetland Recreational Trust has been clear that – particularly in the winter – parts of the existing hall will not be available for school use.

PE teaching staff would prefer a purpose-built department within the new buildings because of concern over the time it would take pupils to walk down to Clickimin between lessons, that it would leave the department isolated from the general working of the school and compromise their ability to teach the curriculum.