New Lerwick Roundabout

moorit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes well done to the contractors who appear to have left any other half-finished jobs to work on the roundabout. I don't know the ins and outs but if these same contractors don't come and plough, rotavate and seed my garden soon then there will be hell to pay.

/me signing off rather peeved that my garden has been a mess since January...

Guest Anonymous

The new roundabout has been yet another vast waste of money , a simple set of traffic lights would have solved the twice daily - 5 days a week traffic congestion at this spot and would have cost a great deal less , left more green unspoilt and have saved a considerible number of tons of fossil fuel . Also given that we may be about to encounter a trend of slow reduction in private car use it has proven that the council is as crap as the national government in forward planning as the world economy changes .

I wonder if they have given much thought to how the price of some of there grander projects will rise in relation to the current rise in energy costs.

Then again its all jobs for the boys and helps keep the wheels of our economy turning for now ....

^^

Just think of all the fossil fuels being burned by all the cars waiting at traffic lights unnesessarily. That won't happen with a roundabout. You will be able to basically drive straight through 99% of the time, just like all the other roundabouts in LK.

I get cheesed of just now waiting at the lights during building, think what itll be like waiting at lights with not a soul in sight. I would say the maintenence costs of the roundabout would be much less than traffic lights.

All the roundabouts are excellent in LK (som drivers need educating ),what if thay were all traffic lights and they were all at red when you were driving through the town at midnight..I would be seriously cheesed of :cry: :cry:

Guest Anonymous

In this world of modern technology it is possible to have traffic lights that you can switch on for the 2 - 3 hours each day from monday to friday to help smooth the brief increase in traffic flow and then switch them off again.

And in light of the rising oil price ,( just jumped 4.5% again this morning)

those people in the council who are entrusted in the spending of money on transport and transport infrastructure should have a serious think about all there forth coming projects as it is looking quite certain that traffic volume using our roads is going to reduce considerably , in fact in used car guides they are going to reduce the average mileage of cars from something like 12k to 8k.

Also there will be a lot less new drivers in the coming years as private car use becomes to expensive to young people on low incomes .

I think they should put a HUGE statue of two Vikings fighting to the death in the middle of the roundabout. It could be Sandy Cluness and Allan Wishart fighting with axes and swords over the Bressay Bridge.

Alternately they could build a HUGE wind turbine there, to power all those new houses!