New Lerwick Roundabout

moorit

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and they're gonna close the ackrigarth junction too....

:)

I didn't know that this was part of the plan ?

When is this likely to happen ?

probably when the roundabout is finished i would have thought

Just got a reply from Roads and Transport and they don't have any plans to shut the Ackrigarth junction.

I would say this has been one of the best managed roads jobs - minimal disruption to traffic until absolutely necessary and now lights that are sympathetic to the predominant traffic flow.

Well done to the Council and the contractors with this one.

have been out top off Sound Brae most mornings this week, kicking ass olff ten mins to get down hill this mornin :roll:

On the mainland (UK) all major towns and cities have rush hours at least twice a day....

in Shetland we have a rush ten minutes twice a day, the roundabout at Soond is a major waste of money,

if you are effected by delays at this junction set off for work 3 minutes earlier or 13 minutes later........

when will Shetlanders wake up to the waste of public money in Shetland.........oh.........oh.........have you heard

we are about to spend another couple of million on a feasability study for the Bressay Tunnel .....

ten minutes with a tape recorder in the Thule bar will give you the same answer....................?

• 2 months later...

I followed somebody last night (in the dark) who went over the outer circle of red bricks, thinking that the compass central design was a mini roundabout. Seeing as the red brick circle is only about an inch higher than the level of the roads, what will happen, with visitors, when we get our first one inch snowfall this coming winter? Attractive design but not thought out very well?

• 2 months later...

AN URGENT safety report has been ordered into Lerwick’s brand new South Road roundabout after reports that pedestrians are using its centre as a pavement.

Councillors were horrified yesterday (Tuesday) after member Betty Fullerton said she had seen a mother with two children in the middle of the roundabout.

She told a meeting of the council's infrastructure committee that people seem to be using a raised two metre wide, red coloured strip around the heightened centre of the roundabout as a pedestrian thoroughfare.

"They are using it as a pavement, because it looks like a pavement," she said.

I canna say ive ever seen anybody in da red kerbed bit. Is this carry on no a over reaction. Seein a fool with her bairns using it as a pavement is hardly reason to write a safety report. Have any of you seen folk walking around the red bit ? There are loads of roundabouts the same as this one down South.