Post Offices

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not usually being prone to political outbursts, i am livid at the despicable approach the government has made to the closures. I am all for a degree of rationalisation and efficiency, but it is absolutely inexcusable for the government to steer/force post office customers into using banks etc for payments and the internet for tax discs, then turn around a few months later and say that a major reason for closing post offices is that people are not using the PO because they use banks, internet etc instead? EH?? How stupid do they take us to be? Is it just me?

I wouldn't mind so much if they said this is part of the plan to rationalise the service blah blah, but no, "We're so clever, you remember nothing"

I can't abide that. :x

It all comes down to ideology. Should the PO be run as a business? Or should it be run as an essential service a'la the DHSS?

My vote is for an essential service (but nobody listens to me...) :wink:

I think it is a no-brainer to increase the charge for a first class letter to cover the cost of delivery at least instead of the current system where they lose 20p ish on every letter sent. (That amount is a guess by the way, influenced by a dimly recalled news story, source forgotten.)

A word on junk mail. I worked for the PO in the early nineties and even then they depended on junk for around 80% of their income, today it is probably closer to 95%. That means when you fill in that form to stop the junk you are reducing the PO's main revenue stream. (My God! 'main revenue stream', you've got me sounding like a bullshi... sorry, manager. The shame!) :wink:

It all comes down to ideology. Should the PO be run as a business? Or should it be run as an essential service a'la the DHSS?

My vote is for an essential service (but nobody listens to me...) :wink:

I agree. It is absolutely essential, especial in rural environments.

I think it is a no-brainer to increase the charge for a first class letter to cover the cost of delivery at least instead of the current system where they lose 20p ish on every letter sent. (That amount is a guess by the way, influenced by a dimly recalled news story, source forgotten.)

Agreed again. I would be interested to know how they work this out though and what could be done to improve the way that it works. When Water companies belonged to the people they used to only have the finest of everything. I remember selling and servicing £3,000 Karcher steam cleaners to/for them when even the Jag and Porsche garages were only buying the £1,200 model.

A word on junk mail. I worked for the PO in the early nineties and even then they depended on junk for around 80% of their income, today it is probably closer to 95%. That means when you fill in that form to stop the junk you are reducing the PO's main revenue stream. (My God! 'main revenue stream', you've got me sounding like a bullshi... sorry, manager. The shame!) :wink:

It seems such a shame that they have to rely on such a revenue stream (it's contagious). Most of it just goes in the bin after all. Or does it? Perhaps you all avidly buy double glazing, car insurance, credit cards, home insurance etc. etc. etc.?

My apologies if the quoting doesn't work out right! :oops:

• 1 year later...

This really annoys me. The government strips the PO of most of it's services, sells off any parts that dare to be profitable and then turns around and says "Look, nobodies using the PO, we'll have to close them". It's deliberate cynical vindictive vandalism, brought on because Labour back-bencher's wouldn't let them privatise it. :evil: :evil: :cry:

The worst thing about going to the Post Office these days is the constant hard sell of products such as phone lines, broadband, car insurance, home insurance and god knows what else.

I went in to pay someone's BT bill recently and was ready for the "why not switch to BT Homephone" spiel.

Have you tried BT Homephone? It's a bit like heroin. Easy enough to get on but near impossible to get back off of it. I spent months trying to give up the phone line. You just get ignored until you start ranting at them.

Guest posiedon
Arabia Terra

This really annoys me. The government strips the PO of most of it's services,

It's bloody ridiculous that I can't get a TV licence at our post office, a two minute walk down the road, I refuse to get it at the Co-op (40 mile round trip) on principle.

I renew it online, but I would buy it at the p o if I could.

^^^can you no get it at the eid shop? Part of the deal with being under co-op livery is that you should be able to pay bills there. Mind you to be honest the amount of time and hassle it is to stick it in the machine it is easier to do it on line.

Got promised a job at my old local PO when the co-op I was working at was looking at taking it over. Thing is, saw the figures myself, it wasn't worth it. It often costs more to have the thing in the corner as you lose your cut on things like lottery sales.

Use to post office as much as I can though. Use it or lose it. Did you know that you can use the PO like a bank machine (as long as you're not with a scottish bank ie hbos, rbs, clydesdale)

Guest posiedon
MJ

can you no get it at the eid shop? Part of the deal with being under co-op livery is that you should be able to pay bills there.

Not sure if you can get a TV licence, but my point is, I think it should be post office business rather than Co-op business.

I don't have the figures to hand but I believe the post office used to earn a tidy sum from supplying TV licences.

You can get money from the PO if you are with rbs.

Only if you have a basic bank account with RBS, not a current account.

Current accounts

Alliance & Leicester

Bank of Ireland

Barclays

Clydesdale Bank

The Co-operative Bank

Nationwide Building Society

Lloyds TSB

Northern Bank

Smile

Basic bank accounts

Abbey