Shetlands Top Tips / Handy Hints Wanted!

Moving On is local charity with over ten years of experience of successfully supporting people with health problems into employment, training and volunteering. We offer our service to anyone aged 16 and over with a disability, health or mental health problem.

Following the success of our well being recipe book last year, we are currently setting up a project to create and sell a local top tips book. It will have a theme of stress free living and hope it will be a practical guide that includes include tips from a wide range of folk from all parts of Shetland. The project will start at the end of September, and due to the short time span, we are collecting tips in advance.

You can help by donating your favourite tip(s) to make life easy. We are looking for your simple tips and advice to help improve everyday life. These could include for example:-

· Work / life Balance tips Money saving tips

· Health & exercise tips Household tips

· DIY tips Xmas tips

· Recycling tips Cooking tips

· Cleaning tips Miscellaneous tips

. Funny tips

If you like, you can add a few words about where your tip originated, how/why it works, how you best cope/live with stress and your name if you'd like it to go beside the tip.

Our clients will choose the final design and content of the book and once the book is ready, they'll take part in helping produce and sell it to the public in time for Christmas. Proceeds will go to Moving On to help fund future projects.

I'd be really grateful if you would send me your tip(s) by 18 August 2008, by either replying to my post here, by emailing me on rory.binns2@shetland.org, or emailing them to movingon@shetland.org

Feel free to get in touch with Moving On at Market House on 01595 743926 if you would like to find out more about the project or our work to.

Cheers

Rory

"Visit the Old Scatness dig site. It's really good."

"Peg t-shirts at da oxters to stop them from stretching around the waist."

"Compost."

"Make sure to enjoy the sunny day when it comes..."

"...but don't blithely mow stones in your jubilation."

and finally...

"Visit Shetlink.com" ;)

put bounce (or similar tumble dryer sheets) in sleeping bags before long storage.

Dishwasher powder is fantastic at clearing out bathroom drains (eats through human hair down plugholes) and for whitening tiles and grout.

Soda water is great for getting through baked on grime. leave to soak, when bubbles have gone just wipe away. (also good for cleaning thermoses, teapots, burnt milkpans etc)

Don't try to catch a bus on the westside on a Wednesday.

put 500ml bottles of water in the freezer for long journeys, helps keep packed lunch cool as well as making sure you've got cold water to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline for for entering your tips has been extended by another month until the 20th September, so please continue to send them in! we've got a good number so far, but more are needed. We're in the process of emailing some celebrities to, so with a bit of luck you could get get your tips in alongside someone famous!

Keep em coming!

Cheers

Rory

- dried spaghetti sticks make good cake testers.

- keep an open packet of baking soda in smelly areas (where pets sleep, boys bedrooms, etc) and one in the fridge to absorb odours.

- cut the pictures out of the front of greetings cards you receive. They're great fun for the kids to make into new cards to give out. I have an "art drawer" filled with Christmas, birthday and baby card pieces, and another one filled with sequins and other decorations to use as well.

- Porrelli Ice Cream tubs make great stackable storage containers for little things (rubber bands, etc).

- visit charity shops regularly for great bargains.

Rub spectacle lenses with a bar of dried soap and then polish, to stop them steaming up when you go indoors in cold Shetland weather.

I'd heard of that one with mirrors before. You might want to be a bit careful with your glasses though, especially if they have coated lenses like many do these days. The coatings on my last couple of pairs of glasses have both ended up coming off and leaving a mottled effect. I was 'told off' ;) at Specsavers in Aberdeen recently for washing my glassed occasionally with soap and water. And wiping your glasses on your clothes is another no-no according to them!

Guest posiedon

Tip No 1, never eat yellow snow :)

Tip No 2, to make shelling hard boiled eggs easy, crack the shell and put the egg in cold water for 30 secs, the shell then comes off very easily.

Tip No 2, to make shelling hard boiled eggs easy, crack the shell and put the egg in cold water for 30 secs, the shell then comes off very easily.

Pfft... all together too much like effort:

:lol: Probably this technique is only good if you're the only person who is going to be eating them