Housing in Shetland

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

(** mod edit - title changed from 'SIC Housing, failure to do their job....' **)

Unless that is if you're a druggie, soothmoother, etc.....

How come a friend of mine who is clean living, honest, and hard working, but who is basically homeless because her job requires her to live in Lerwick, cannot be accommodated by the SIC????

It's hard to think that anybody can come of the boat and be given housing within hours, when locals are just told to bu**er off.

I'd love to hear if anybody else has suffered from the anti Shetlander approach which is adopted by SIC housing.

:evil:

PS. not to be seen as "anti SIC housing", Hjaltland have exactly the same attitude.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Is she living on the street? ie homeless?

No. Having to arrange temporary accommodation, at great expense, to be able to keep to the hours her job requires.

Guest Anonymous
Just don't get me started on SIC housing allocating practices........just do not get me started.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

If nothing else, I'm sure the Mods have more than enough to do keeping order before I give them multiple ranting posts to wade through. :!:

Dammit man, I like your rants. Carry on :lol:

I could certainly join in the *general* housing rant, however it has been my experience that many of the people who claim to have been offered nothing have actually been offered perfectly good houses but because they "didnt like the area" or something equally trivial, turned them down.

The few i've known who really had nowhere to turn, including myself at one point, have been dealt with sensitively and quickly.

Guest Anonymous

For once I'm, completely calm :D

But, I find it hard to accept that people who walk off the nort boat have instant priority over a local person, who because they cannot drive, and need to stay in Lerwick for sake of their job, are forced to rent privately at a rate which is above their means.

In this case, we're talking about a young girl, who could of course do what so many other girls in Shetland have done, and get pregnant, which would instantly move her to the front of the list. But, this girl just wants to work, contribute to Shetland by doing so, but is kicked back by the housing providers who provide only for incomers.

"..druggies, soothmoothers etc.." cos yep, the two are basically indistinguishable. :roll:

Anti-Shetlander? I think more likely adopting the practice of all local authorities, ie giving housing on priority, as opposed to whether you were born in Somerset, Swansea or Shetland. Is the system abused? Very probably. NOT confined to Shetland. And, no, am not a SIC/Hjaltland renter myself.

Guest Anonymous

But, of course, maybe all Shetlanders are responsible for this problem. Because the councillors who make the decisions, and allow the SIC housing department to act in such a hateful manner towards locals, were all voted into office by Shetlanders.

I'll just say one word which sums up an immense amount of what I find wrong and rotten and generally pisses me off about the SIC in general and their "housing" attitude in particular, "Windybrae".

Anybody recall "Windybrae"? Anybody know how its doing these days? Maybe I've been mis-informed etc etc, but *if* what the local grapevine put about not all that many months since is anywhere near the same ballpark as the truth is in, I might just start that rant. :wink:

But, of course, maybe all Shetlanders are responsible for this problem. Because the councillors who make the decisions, and allow the SIC housing department to act in such a hateful manner towards locals, were all voted into office by Shetlanders.

As I understand it the Housing Department's hands are tied as they have to operate nationally agreed standards.

^^ They do. The biggest difference being that, by their nature, a longer term "born and bred" shetlander is rarely going to be in such dire straits looking for somewhere to stay as someone with no family, ties, or friends.

Yes, its true that if you have the brass neck to make sure you tick all the boxes, you will shoot to the top of the list.

And yes, it is also wrong that hard working locals cannot live where they want to because of national rules, but thats not something that can be changed locally.

Lots of us as young people had to learn to drive and buy a car to get to work. Its always a trade-off between that or high rent. It's just life, might as well get used t it. Nothing is more expensive than working :?

Sorry, going off track here.

In short, my personal experience is that the local staff do their very best to offer what they can whilst jumping through the endless hoops placed before them.