Stand Up for The Champions

Robert Parker

It looks like tonight will be the night when the Mighty Delts claim yet another league title.

I do hope that they are shown the respect for this acheivement that they deserve. Especially when you add in the fact that they won Island Games Gold as well!!!!!

I think even the short-sighted Jim Tait would agree that the Thistle of the 1990's would without doubt come a cropper against JJ's outfit.

What Odds on there being 8 in-a-row celebrated in the MBI or Northern Lights this time next year?????

Congratulations Delting - Shetland's Number One.

I have to say it hats off to Delting for another great season for them.

Yes you do deserve credit for what you have acheived over the last 8 or 9 season it has been a great run and no wonder you have a great team.

And yes maybe over the years you have not been credited as you should or could have been(as a Delting friend keeps telling me you did not even get a write up in the paper the very first time you won the league. It was left to someone at the times who heard the result.)

You have set the standard it is up to other teams to try and match that.

Every time Whalsay looked as if they had a chance you went up a gear and ended up comfortable winners of the league.

As for the Island games altough there were 7 or 8? Delting players it was a squad effort and of course the manager Neil Bristow and his team have to take great credit for that fantastic victory.

I have watched Delting and they are an extremely good team but I doubt they would have won the league as much as they have if there was more competiton for them. When Whitedale were winning the league in the early eighties then Spurs the in late eighties and Thistle in the 90s there were at least 4 to 5 teams that could win the league and each team in the league was quite capable of beating each other. Nowadays Delting are only really hard pushed the whole season by one maybe two teams.

It is not true to say Delting have not been pushed by other teams. Yes they did win the league relatively comfortably but this year but Whalsay, Spurs, Celtic and Thistle have all given Delting very hard games in the league and various cups. I think the gap has narrowed and that this was one of the most difficult campaigns Delting have had for a while.

Good points Marshall - about the most sense I have seen written about Delting. Everyone else(and not just posts on here) seems concerned with the chasing pack and how there has been no real challenge?!?!?!?!? Like I Said Credit where its due!!!!!!

I'm sure the time will come when someone else wins the league as everything must come to an end but for 7(SEVEN) in a row titles and the numerous cups being picked up it is an acheivement that will not be beat for a very very long time. As for the teams of the 1980's and '90's???? I think, and going by what a lot of 'pundits' say, the standard is much much higher now than then and to dismiss the lack of challenge Delting received?!?!?!? Appears Shetland Football is full of poor losers. This Whalsay side are about the strongest the Bonnie Isle has produced.

With regards to the Shetland Times - not only has the standard been falling rapidly in it over the years - they had nobody around on Wednesday night when the Champions were crowned. Would this have been the case for any of the Lerwick sides?????

As for the Island games team - that was a tongue-in-cheek comment. Take nothing away from Bristow and the boys.

Which brings me on nicely to another point.

What with "PR Disasters" and grumblings from players regarding training, and a possible decision to snub Aland for the Highland Cup - What chance JJ can be tempted from Delting to manage the Shetland team????

Word in the North Mainland is John-Scott Christie is already being lined up to replace JJ should he take on the top job.

I canna see where we've dismissed the all conquering football prowess of Delting Fc. Consistantly when folk have gret about Delting being to strong for the parish cup or saying that your failing in the league we have said people need to stop moaning and do the work to get where you are.

So dry your eyes and just come to realise that the rest don't like you cos your winning and are greedy bstards :wink:

Just wish we could have given you a harder game on wednesday!

This Delting squad that has dominated for the past 6 or 7 years is the result of phenominal work done with the Delting under 14s and 16s in the early 90s and late 80s. This team now is ageing and will not last forever. I personally believe the team to watch in the future will be Spurs. And I'm not just saying that cause I play for Spurs.

Robert Parker wrote

What with "PR Disasters" and grumblings from players regarding training, and a possible decision to snub Aland for the Highland Cup - What chance JJ can be tempted from Delting to manage the Shetland team????

The cost of sending a team to Aland is going to be about £20,000 - is John Jamieson going to pay the players travel cost Robert? and If the Shetland team is to be modeled on John Jamieson's training schedule over the last number of years we will have no training at all.

Be careful Robert. You may get what you ask for.

• 1 month later...

"I think John Jamieson is the only choice. He has all the credentials to take Shetland to the next level."

The above is a quote from Kirsty on the 'Island Games' Thread.

Quite different from the her previous quote on this thread. Is this another example of 'women' and football?!?!?!?!?!?

Anyway - Its not something I have wished for but you did hear it here first. John Jamieson as next boss (backed up by a strong team of coaches) and JOHN SCOTT CHRISTIE to take over as Delting Boss and continue thier domination.

Oh and following on the 'pre-season transfer talk'...... It is highly likely that the Delts will be adding to their squad with some Islanders. Just the gossip on these pages have the wrong spies.

Up The Delts x

Couple of whalsay boy joining the delting ranks then is it Robert?

Maybe a Forvikian?

I believe one of them is quite adept at shoring together leaky defences, though he does have a tendency to go down rather easily - often weather dependent, it has to be said, so the summer game may suit him better.

Not that I'm suggesting Delting's defence is in any way leaky... :wink: