Parish Cup Most Important competition in Shetland Football?

markj

I am a died in the wool Delting supporter, but have to conceed that it is degrading to the people of Lerwick and Scalloway. How can this tournament be regarded as a Shetland tournament when it excludes approx 25% of the population. It is indeed a form of racism and to quote the President of the Shetland Parish Cup ''F**k da toonies!"

It is indeed a form of racism

It is not racism as the people you claim are discriminated against are so on their geographical location not their RACE COLOUR OR RELIGON for that matter.

The competition was set up to promote football in the country areas of Shetland which it has done. No one can argue that football has not made its way to the rural areas of the Islands. I would imagine the competition will go through a period of change as other competitions in Shetland have.

Just now the dominant teams are premier league country teams who play week in week out, Delting, Whalsay, Unst, Yell, Whitedale suffer from the fact that their parish cup squad bears little resemblance to their premier league team, which is mostly made up of players who are eligable for the Westside United parish areas.

Burra and Cunnigsburgh did not enter teams this year and will not likely for the next few years, Southend Utd and Sandwick no longer play regularly as teams with the demise of the southern league so you may see a change in emphasis from them as the split grow between the competiting teams. Will southend Sandwick and Cunningsburgh bury the hatchet and seek to combine as Ness United and play in the competition who knows?

But for those people who want to see the competition opened up to Lerwick and Scalloway its simple, write to the secretary of the PCA with proposal to open it up and come to the meeting and back the case for it up. So far there has been anomymous letters and no evident interest from these areas as they did not attend any meeting.

I agree with Ballack on this one as i think the league is the most important competition as it shows who the best side in Shetland are.

The Parish Cup has a lot of prestige, there's no doubt about it. However, i think that perhaps it is not as strong as it could be. The four former southern league sides are very poor compared to Delting and Whalsay, and you could perhaps see a Ness United team entered in the future like Penfold hints at. Otherwise Sandwick and Southend as well as Cunningsburgh and Burra will end up not entering.

I think to prevent this happening, you could look to opening up the competition to other teams. Scalloway, Mossbank, maybe a Gulberwick/Quarff team? I don't know about the Lerwick teams though as it may be good to keep it as a trophy for all the rural teams. I think it could certainly do with more sides to make it more competitive. But like Penfold says, the only way entry will increase is if the afore mentioned areas apply to enter the competition themselves.

I wouldn't worry about it, folk will continue to write about wanting it to change in the local press and on here, but nobody will make a valid proposal and come to the meeting to back it up. If they were serious about it then instead of greeting about it every year and hope that one of the committee or member clubs would table a motion to allow the competition to be opened up. They would come to the meeting and state the case for change.

There is a competition that could become the "most important cup competition in Shetland" if they administered it along the same lines, play it on Saturday afternoons and the home team has to provided a minimum level of hospitality post match, any team failing to do so would be barred from entering next year, that competition is the County shield.

A cup's importance is a matter of opinion and cannot be truly or accurately decided.

Most SPL clubs/managers argue that winning the SPL is their priority as it opens the door to Champions' League riches via the group stages.

Sorry to disagree but SPL v European trophy..? I would argue that the scarcity of the latter in Scotland totally debunks the "SPL most important" theory.

In a local context the Parish Cup is immensely important to those who compete for it, and their supporters.

No can can prove one competition's importance when judged against another.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that in local competition the Parish Cup attracts the most support.

Which makes it fairly difficult to argue that any other competition is more important.

Depends who you put the question to, I suppose.

It's not difficult to argue at all.

The most important Cup is the winners of the league. The team who wins it are Shetland Champions.

Anyone who says it's the Parish Cup is on the wind up although it certainly is an important Cup for the "Parishes" that compete for it. It is always well supported and seems to generate extra community interest , at least in some areas. That said it should also be remebered that the Cup means absolutly nothing to the 40 % or so of the population who are not allowed to compete in it.

Delting and Whalsays celebrations after their first League wins said it all, however that does not mean that the Parish Cup isn't hugely important to both clubs.

It's not difficult to argue at all.

The most important Cup is the winners of the league. The team who wins it are Shetland Champions.

Anyone who says it's the Parish Cup is on the wind up although it certainly is an important Cup for the "Parishes" that compete for it. It is always well supported and seems to generate extra community interest , at least in some areas. That said it should also be remebered that the Cup means absolutly nothing to the 40 % or so of the population who are not allowed to compete in it.

Delting and Whalsays celebrations after their first League wins said it all, however that does not mean that the Parish Cup isn't hugely important to both clubs.

That in itself doesn't guarantee the mantle of most important.

You're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to mine.

You're not entitled to lecture me as to which cup is more important. IMHO.

This is a discussion board so we are both entitled to state our opinions.

I still feel the League is more important to more people. A spurs player could argue the Roy Wiseman Memorial Trophy is the most important trophy in Shetland, but seeing it is only played for between Spurs players I don't think many would agree.