Parish Cup Most Important competition in Shetland Football?

markj

i think the parish cup is still very important and is much more valuable than the likes of the madrid and manson cups etc. The Parish has a strong history which other cups lack.

Ah the ignorance of youth baxter billy, I believe the Madrid cup is older and has as much history as the Parish cup which started in 1952? if I mind right, get a hold of a copy of Mr James Peterson of Sandness and Lerwick spurs book on the history of Shetland Football and you would be amazed at the history and stories behind some of the cups in Shetland football.

Parish cup is a good cup though :wink:

Madrid Cup 1908, Manson Cup 1916, County Shield 1933 (although the shield is not the original).

These trophies were there at the formation of the Shetland Football Association and therefore have there own history. In terms of value I believe the Fraser Cup (1948) is the most valuable, this was revealed during an insurance valuation and the Cup was returned to A League competition after having spent a number of years as a B Team Cup.

The Parish Cup was presented by the Shetland FA and was first presented in 1952 for competition for teams outwith Lerwick. It started with only southern league teams before Whiteness & Weisdale joined. Whalsay, Burra and Unst joined in the early 1960s, Yell in 1967 and Delting in 1970.

You are probably right Baxter but there is a historical context that must be considered.

Remember the Parish Cup exists because the Lerwick Teams, Scalloway and Ness (ie, The Shetland FA 1952) presented the Cup in the hope it would encourage football in areas not represented in the League. Many of the people who gave up their time to help organise the Cup were actually people who were never eligable to play in the tournament themselves, nor did they have any particular desire to. Forward to the present day and Shetland is a different place, thanks to Sullom Voe Delting is now a force (at the moment the force) and Ferry Links allow Unst, Yell and Whalsay to compete in League fixtures. It is right that these teams should be proud of the Parish Cup because many can trace their origins to this Cup. There is however also a strong elimate of " **** the Toonies" about the Parish Cup that is a perhaps undeserved when you look at its history.

Scalloway and the Lerwick Clubs have their own history going back to the formation of the Shetland Football Association. Their only connection with the Parish Cup is their role in it's formation and the individuals who have helped administrate the Cup at certain times. For them the Parish Cup means nothing, nor should it.

Getting back to the original thread topic I still feel the League is the most important for a number of reasons. Firstly because their are no exclusion rules, secondly because of the history and thirdly because the level of competition is higher.

This is a discussion board so we are both entitled to state our opinions.

I still feel the League is more important to more people. A spurs player could argue the Roy Wiseman Memorial Trophy is the most important trophy in Shetland, but seeing it is only played for between Spurs players I don't think many would agree.

Glad you agree with me re opinions. Your argument however falls to pieces when you state "I still feel the League is more important to more people".

How many supporters would turn out to watch a League decider between two Lerwick teams..??? I'm old enough to remember such things and the answer was then, not many.

Certainly nothing like the numbers who would turn up for the Parish Cup final. Proving that the Parish Cup in fact is "more important to more people".

None of this takes away from my point that different folk view different cups in different ways.

All down to opinions really.

The Parish cup is like the champions league of Shetland football whilst the other tournaments are like the uefa cup.

The Parish cup is the big cup competition, although there is no doubt that winning the league is on a par as it shows a team can play at a high standard for the full season.

I am a died in the wool Delting supporter, but have to conceed that it is degrading to the people of Lerwick and Scalloway. How can this tournament be regarded as a Shetland tournament when it excludes approx 25% of the population. It is indeed a form of racism and to quote the President of the Shetland Parish Cup ''F**k da toonies!"

How can it be racist when the people excluded are of the same race as the people included ? It's maybe Yokelist....but certainly not racist.

The Parish Cup certainly seems to interest more people than the Toonie League though so, I would say its more importent.

I think that the parish cup is special for the reason that it does not have the toonies in it. I personally feel that it is the most important, this is because the teams involved are not the same teams you see all year, for example the whitedale parish and league teams are completely different. It is a compatition for the players to play for there home area of shetland no matter what team you play for in the league. It feels more important because it is an achievement for the parish. All the players in the team origanate for that place and if you win it shows that you dont need players from here and there to make you win something. I wouldnt think that there is a team that plays in the league and the parish that fields the exact same team for both, this is what makes it special.