Moving to Shetland

beckb

Moved here 18 months ago, I love it :D

I drive 35 minutes to and from work (Work in the tourist office in Lerwick and live up in Northmavine) but as I enjoy driving it doesn't worry me. I am a director for The Northmavine Community Development company and also on the board of Ollaberry hall.

I get on with the locals and I dont mind all the sheep either (Except that one in the top field, She's a liar! :D

For winter bring wet weather gear and woolies and for summer....MIDGE REPELLENT! :lol: :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it makes me very sad that this forum appears designed to destroy the image of Shetland. And some of the most vocal forum members appear to take great pleasure in doing so.

Thought I had better step in at this point and say that although this "Thread" on Shetlink seems to have attracted comments designed to destroy the image of Shetland, the "Forum" (being Shetlink itself) is in no way designed to destroy the image of Shetland.

If I have interpreted this wrong then please feel free to correct me. As far as I am aware, Shetlink is intended to bring the community together. Not destroy what it has.

But it makes me very sad that this forum appears designed to destroy the image of Shetland. And some of the most vocal forum members appear to take great pleasure in doing so.

Thought I had better step in at this point and say that although this "Thread" on Shetlink seems to have attracted comments designed to destroy the image of Shetland, the "Forum" (being Shetlink itself) is in no way designed to destroy the image of Shetland.

I was not trying to destroy the image of Shetland! My goodness, how would the comments of one socially isolated mother destroy the picture of an entire island! I love it here, it's my home! I just feel that I live in a community that doesn't really have much community spirit. That doesn't go to say they are ALL like that as I have heard other stories from other communities to the contrary. I'm sure you get the same worldwide!

Gosh, if I have single-handedly ruined Shetland's image, well well, I should get packing.

i agree with khitajrah without transport you are stuck. we have one bus each way to lerwick a day. the west side is friendly im guessing that you live in aith but i dont see why they should be any diffrent than the rest of us. having animals in an animal growing area is just a thing in common with your neighbors. they are very helpful and even if very busy will help you.

I found it hard moving back after being in a wonderful friendly village on the mainland with everything (Pub/postoffice/shops/coffeeshop/doctors/school/salon/vet/buses till 3am etc) but I just had to remind myself that this is shetland.

I don't drive so I hitch (a lot), most people understand and I never spend long walking. School buses are great too. I always live by the if you don't ask you don't get, and everyone knows how bad the buses are, just smile and don't be offended if folk say no.

I do miss being able to get a game of football/rounders/cricket together on a fine evening. Lack of a village green doesn't help, but it's also harder with a greater percentage of parents working, usually working 20miles or more away. After school social arrangements have to be worked out days in advance as apposed to on the spur of the moment.

It gets frustrating that everything's in lerwick, but usually you can find someone locally who also attends and share traveling costs/responsibilities.

Thankyou everyone for for replies and comments,they have all been helpful,i know everyones experiences are different but its still good to hear all your views

Khitajrah:I have been to playgroups like the one you have described and when i was a new mother trying to find people to talk to and children for my child to interactive with i felt very isolated,although i have lived in this town all my life,after stopping full time work to raise my kids it was like starting a whole new life,i am lucky in that some people were friendly but i did have to really try to make friends,i then trained as a pre school worker and a large part of that is including parents and the community together,i would of thought a lot of the other mothers were feeling the same as you.I appreciate your honesty and did'nt find anything you said off putting as i'm sure it was'nt meant to be :D

Auld Rasmie:Thankyou for your comments :)

Hobbiniho:My daughters are 8,3 and 6 months,so i am interested in the education,preschool and mother and baby/toddler provisions,my eldest loves swimming,horse riding,dancing,brownies are these areas well catered for and what year would she be at school as the system is different from here?My husband is sending his cv off to the three companies suggested at the beginning of this post and once a job is secured would probably move up on his own until we could all get there.As for the leisure centres here it would be unheard of to have it to yourself and makes Aith quite appealing :wink:

Just Me:We were thinking of private renting to start with until we got a feel for the place and found the best place to settle,this is a concern as i haven't found much to rent advertised for a family of five and a dog!

Malcolm:I have been looking at the Northmavine website and it looks very appealing,my husbands commute is 2 hours at the moment, a long dirty,dull drive down the motorways so 35 minutes through Shetland sounds fantastic! :D

We plan on visiting in February ,unless my husband manages to get a job/interview before then,it has been really interesting to hear what you all have had to say so thankyou,Becky :)

Is it easy to fit in and would we be made welcome,...

That is an impossible question to answer. It depends so much on your own behaviour and attitudes. Certainly many, many people have moved here and slotted right in magnificently. Similarly there are local people who resent all incomers, however they behave.

I get the feeling that there is a general initial openness towards incomers, but also a certain cynicism towards those who give-off a "Shetland is heaven, pity about the locals" kind of attitude. It is also quite common to hear some irritation expressed towards those middle aged incomers who, after a couple of years, bring their aging parents to Shetland in order to have them better looked after in the care homes. As the actual practice is really quite kind and understandable, it seems to me that the solution would be to encourage the development of a care home mini-industry in the isles. The demand is bound to increase.

It is also quite common to hear some irritation expressed towards those middle aged incomers who, after a couple of years, bring their aging parents to Shetland in order to have them better looked after in the care homes..

Just how 'common' is this in reality ?

And even if it is true, wouldn't it be creating jobs and job security in the care sector ?

And at least these 'aging parents' should know how to behave themselves; I can't really see them going on the rampage down Commercial Street. :lol:

And even if it is true, wouldn't it be creating jobs and job security in the care sector ?

Yes, that's what I was suggesting. It is all a matter of how it is tackled. Rather than seeing it as a "scroungy wangle exploitation," it should be catered for in a financially astute manner. Ideal for some of the outer isles too.

Although, I don't live in Shetland, I've visited many times over the last 30+ years. Since my mother is from Shetland (and I've relations there), I've possibly been viewed with a little less suspicion than if I were a true 'outsider'; but I think that if you 'throw yourself' into the local community, you will be made to feel very welcome.

I would love to live in Shetland; I believe that my children would feel very safe, secure and HAPPY there. When we went there last, my kids had a great time. If you look in the Shetland Times and other journals, there always seems to be a wide range of activities in which both adults and children can participate.

Yes, the weather can seem to be a bit changeable and extreme at times, but the beautiful scenery/lack of pollution and friendly people are constant.