Seals near Tesco

Bubi

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely, the common seals would have left the area in the spring to produce young and the Grey's will be similarly occupied at the moment. More down to perception that anything I would guess. There are still abundant seals at the other end of Bressay Sound around the Catch pier, right in the area that was most disturbed by the dredging.

Food, tide, weather,time of day, time of year are all factors but the over-riding one is probably that we tend to assume that they are constant fixtures, while they tend to remain gloriously oblivious to that idea and behave accordingly. :wink:

There were loads down there today. The really high tide made for a bit of amusement too - most of their favorite rocks were submerged making haul-out points few and far between. There were two fighting over one little rock - but when I say 'fighting' they were more 'play fighting' than anything else. They were just laying on their side, slapping each other with the one free fin not buried beneath seal blubber! It reminded me of Hugh Grant and Colin Firth fighting in the Bridget jones! :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Something I've noticed in the past, although it may not be relevant in this case, is that when Orcas visit an area the seal population can move their location for a while. They're maybe not as daft as they look. :wink:

Has there been any reports of Orcas lately?

Best places to see seals easily and on a regular basis is at the Sandsayre Pier in Sandwick or the Rerwick Sand which was where the seals were in my picture that Ghostrider posted earlier on some thread:

http://shetlopedia.com/Image:Selkies_at_Rerwick_Shetlopedia.com_Shetland.jpg

A Pier or a sand is a very safe place for seals when Orcas are in the area. Lying on a simple little rock with a hungry pod of Orcas in the area isn't sensible. :lol:

discount mince.

AAARRRGGGHHH, I bought a kilo of it yesterday. :?

Well, I am happy the seals are still around. They'll probably be back again. I like to end a shopping trip to Lerwick with sealwatching. They have small quarrels and must have fleas because they scratch a lot.

I find it funny that you can do whatever you like when you watch these seals, they don't mind. But go over the concrete fence - and they all dissapear.

Do the seals have a resting place around the Shetland Catch?

was seal not eaten by the old shetlanders. watch the school dinners in future. how about oystercatcher when in season. what does seagull taste of. let me guess chicken.

i was reading an old shetland cook book a while back some of the stuff in it scared me. terry platchet in the counter weight continent asked if the peasants only had the pigs feet who had the rest. well who had the other bits offishif they only had livers and heads.

we are very lucky to have so much wild life up here. untill i got up here i never saw a seal and an otter well very few saw them. and we can see them in town to.

I used to work in the old manse next to tyhe Lerwick Hotel when it was the SIC Finance Dept, in the room on the upper floor with the picture window. My boss used to try and wind up people from South when he was on the phone by telling them how many seals were lying on the rocks at Tesco.

• 2 weeks later...